1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mosin Nagant Discussion

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by YayAreaTaco0311, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    OK, couldn't help myself.....modding the gun. Bought the ATI polymer resin weatherproof stock, a scope with lifetime warranty that fits in the rear sight, a black ergo non slip shoulder strap, an extra parts kit. It'll end up being original matching number 1930 hex receiver action dropped into black weatherproof stock with weatherproof strap and matte black 7x32mm scope. Looking forward to having all the parts in and completely de-cosmolining the action & building it all back up. Not doing anything permanent that cannot be reversed. Original unused stuff will be kept.

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I definitely want to see some pic's of this bad boy when you are done. I have two Mosins and have thought about modding one of them.

I absolutely love my Mosins for the price these things cannot be beat.

3. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I will make a build post with pics of the whole thing from original disassembly (which I've already done once for practice) cleaning process and materials then the reassembly with new pieces.

4. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    Looking forward to it.

You may have seen these but TNP has done some pretty good videos on the Mosin. I kind of like what he did with one of his Mosins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PQUDmINoPM

5. Feb 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    I dont have one, but I love them and want to get one. I was in walmart the other day and a pair of guys (father and son) were talking to the dude at the ammo case about them. I had to stop and listen, pretending to look at ammo (had my M&P 40 on my side, love open carry laws). The dude told them that the 7.62 was equal to a .50.
    I had to walk away to keep from laughing, then I heard more and had to think back to what I have seen in the past. I could have sworn that the Mosin was a 7.62x54, while he told them that all Mosins were 7.62x59. Ofcourse I was a nice guy, told them to go to Cabelas (have a store local) to get ammo and not walmart and that the dude was giving them incorrect info. I am by no means the smart guy to talk to about all guns, but some people just dont need to talk at all.... "7.62x59" = .50 cal? Really, I did not know that.... Rant complete.

6. Feb 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Maybe what the walmart dude meant to say was it was the poor man's .50 cal.:)
    I will never understand people going to WalMart for gun advice.....

7. Feb 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    X2

A more accurate statement would have been a poor man's .30-06.

8. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:33 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Why would it be considered a "poor man's" anything? It is an interesting, historical, fully functional, practically indestructable, accurate and reliable, collectable, moddable, firearm at a very reasonable price. Nothing poor about that IMO.....except the part where I'd like to be able to score an American military firearm as easily and cost effectively.

Got all my parts except the stock. Should have that within a coupla days then grab a gallon of mineral spirits for the serious cleaning and build pics. I put it all back together for the original starting point pics. I did push a few patches thru the barrel to get a better look at it. In very good shape, all shiny and nice.

9. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:04 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Where else can you get a rifle and 880 rounds of ammo for under 300.00? That is what I mean by a poor man's gun. Because a poor man can own the thing.
    You need to relax, I love my mosins, but a poor man can own 1 or 2, because I am poor and own 4 of them.

10. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    What makes you think I'm not relaxed? or know what I need for that matter. I used no CAPS, I used no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I used no fucking profanity. I was merely addressing the quality and historical aspects of them, not cranking up any class warfare bullshit. DBs in DC have that handled.

11. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    StZu

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    HAHAHAHA!

12. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Got all the parts. Stock needs to be cleaned up a bit on seams and at the points of the textured stuff on each side. Sling I got fits perfect and grips clothing really well. Gotta score some mineral spirits and go to cleaning & some Hoppe's of some sort for reassembly & knock it out. Maybe gonna score one of those laser things for in the barrel to make it easier to get scope set up right. Pics and shit forthcoming................

13. Apr 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    just ordered me one this morning....cant wait to get it in and shooting. also ordered a 440rd can of ammo.

14. Apr 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Aww damn, forgot about this thread. Test fit some of the stuff and didn't really like it. Most likely going to use scope and leave gun how it is. Got sidetracked with car/truck projects & a coupla out of town trips.

15. Apr 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I've now got 3 Mosin Nagants - a 1925 Tula hex receiver M 91/30 ex-Dragoon, a 1944 Izhevsk M44 carbine, a CAI repro sniper built on a 1939 Izhevsk. I also have a Finn M39 that was built from a French-contract 1895 Mosin Nagant hexreceiver.

I posted some pics of the sniper earlier but here she is again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007&#8206;
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    Trying to decide if i want a Mosin or a yugo Mauser. Can get decide between the 2. Might go with the Mosin bc of how easy it is to get the ammo for it. What do you guys think?

17. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    sandman29306

sandman29306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
    I have an immaculate looking M44 coming from Gunbroker next week. Looks as if it was never issued and not counterbored. Can't wait to see how it shoots. Brasstacker rear sight scope mount / scope ordered.

I picked up another M44 last week to play around with. Fun to shoot but has a nice case of Sticky Bolt syndrome after about 7 shots. Did some work on it and will find out this week if I did any good.

18. Apr 22, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    You can't beat the cheap and readily available 7.62X54 ammo for fun shooting - one of the reasons I love the Mosins.

Have you really scrubbed out the chamber/bore of the M44? These rifles have a notorious proclivity to gunk up because of the corrossive ammo. Sounds like you may have a build up that locks up the chamber after firing a few new rounds.

Also, remember that the M44s weredesigned to be shot with the bayonet extended. Shooting with it in theretracted positioncanmake as much as a2.5" difference in bullet strike at 100 yards because of the pressure put on the barrel.

Looking forward topics of that new M44!

19. Apr 22, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    sandman29306

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
    After looking at alot of online advice and youtube, I cleaned the bore with Hoppes and another stronger one (can't remember) until it was shiny and then attached a bronze 20 ga shotgun brush dipped in Hoppes on a drill and went to work on the chamber. If that doesn't work, then its time for the nylon brush with deleading wool and /or gunsmith.

It puts a linear scratch on the round that was just shot about mid length too.

I read about the bayonet too. Thanks for the heads up though.

20. Apr 22, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    sandman29306

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Thats a nice gun man.

Products Discussed in

To Top