1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions and Recommendations on a Hunting Rifle

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Skimafia, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Skimafia

Skimafia [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am currently looking at options for my next firearm. I am looking at a hunting rifle pretty much for one purpose - big game. Specifically I want a gun that I can use on elk, and maybe even moose. I know the size of the round that I want to shoot, but I am looking at all the options for a quality gun that would have no problems taking a 800 yard shot.
    Some of the firearms I have been looking at are the Browning X-bolt, Ruger M77, and the Remington 700. Each gun I have been looking at 7mm mag.
    I have been reading all of the info available on each company’s website, and each gun has some very nice features. Of the three, I have been most impressed with the Browning and think that is the direction I want to go.
    I know that a purchase like this comes down to how the gun feels in the hand. I am hoping that I can get some opinions from people who have owned or shot any or all of the guns.
    My budget for the gun is $800-$1000

[​IMG]

2. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad

3. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    c.morris89

c.morris89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kingsport TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO MGM 6MT
    A little
    Remington 700 SPS FTW!!!

4. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    Robertocritser

Robertocritser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    KY
    Vehicle:
    08 sport
    ATM6969420 series
    remington 700, however have you checked out savage new accu system?

5. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    nb_tacoma

nb_tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 access cab 4x4
    2.5 inch toytec lift /w rear block 255/85/16 cooper discoverer st's Westin light bar with 2 hella 500's Satoshi grille mod BHLM bumper valence painted with rocker guard relocated the horns tail gate anti-theft mod added a trailer hitch relocated 7 pin in bumper rear diff breather mod Magnaflow muffler kenwood KDC-X895 deck
    Don't be cheap! buy a good weatherby rifle
    It will last you for the rest of yOur life and
    Then pass it Down to your kid

I got a 300 weatherby mag from my dad and still feels
    And looks like a brand-new rifle after 40 years

Just my 2 cents tho

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    Skimafia

Member:
    I havent looked much into the Rems to be honest. I owned a 700 ADL in .223 a while ago and I wasnt very impressed at all with the accuracy. I do really like the Sendero, but they weigh a lot, and cost a lot.

I appreciate the input so far, but it doesnt do me much good. What makes the Remington so much better to justify it as your choice?

7. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    Skimafia

Member:
    Is $1000 cheap for a gun only? I think thats a healthy chunk of change for any fire arm.

8. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    dgr540

dgr540 I've got the FUNK

Member:
    Friendswood, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited
    XDs Trail grappler 35x12.5x18 Winch 8K lbs Front bumper 4in Lift
    I have a Tikka T3, and I love it. Comes off the same production line of Sako, just a couple hundred less. I believe Beretta is the parent company and also sell a T3. They come in a variety of calipers and models. They bolt is extremely smooth too.
    http://www.tikka.fi/t3rifles.php

9. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Robertocritser

Robertocritser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    KY
    Vehicle:
    08 sport
    ATM6969420 series
    reliability... our military snipers have been using the remington 700 for years.

10. Mar 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    krafty11

krafty11 Active Member

Member:
    Chicago area
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB T|X Pro
    Tube Steps, BAK F1, 4WD light, Pop&Lock
    I have the 700 in a 7 mag, stainless barrel and have never regretted it, but I'd be tempted if someone wanted to trade me their Weatherby!

11. Mar 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    yeah thats a nice one too. with the accu stock and the accu trigger.. CAbelas has one for sale for like 700 and its stainless steel.

12. Mar 8, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:

What sucks about weatherby's is that their ammo is expensive and you could only use their ammo.. So it sucks it you just want to go out and shoot..

13. Mar 8, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    Skimafia

Member:
    Thank you for that.
    I guess by posting this thread I was hoping to hear peoples opinions on why the decided to get the guns they prefer to shoot. Maybe there is something about the trigger system for a specific gun that one person may like. Maybe the quality of the barrel of a certain gun is preferred for some reason. I like hearing first hand why people shoot what they do. Maybe I am overlooking something in the brands I listed and am hoping that some insight from members may give me new things to look into. When people say get a 700 because its popular, it does me no good. I am hoping for explanations. They must be popular for a reason, so what is that reason?

That gun you posted is very cool. If I were going to pay that kind of money for a gun, I think I would get a Christensen Arms Carbon gun. Check them out. There are unbelievable http://www.christensenarms.com/

14. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    Skimafia

Member:
    I understand what you are saying now. I am thinking that Ive been looking at this all wrong from the beginning. Maybe I should build the gun to what im after rather than trying to just pay the premium for a complete factory gun from the store.
    If the Rem is at all like an AR, I could get a Hogue overmold, buy a match grade barrel in my desired size, find a good trigger system and what ever items I may need. I could probably have it bedded and end up with a gun for around 1000-1100 that rivals someting in the 1600 range at the gun store.

Thanks

15. Mar 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    I have a tikkaT3 300 win mag, I would definently consider it. Tikka is one of two rifles in the world that guarantee a 3"group out of the box at 100 yards. By far it is one of the lightest high caliber rifles on the market and is a streight shooter. With my 300 I don't have to compensate for distance 400 yards or closer.

16. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    A rifle is something very personal to me. I guess is going way back when I had to depend on my rifle.

#1- decide what you are going to use it for ???? you may be surprise to find out some day that,,, you may need another gun if you decide to do some high brush, short distance hunting.

#2- decide wich caliber is right for you ???. Now remember,,, one of the guys here raised a good point. You want something thats readily available at all most every gun shop and does not kills your wallet. You want something that you can afford to shoot 40-50 shoots every few months.

#3- now that you have an answer to first two question,,, make your way to a good -big- gun shop. Don't go to a big shop on a Sunday. You will be surprise to see how many guys that don't know much about guns,,,, find theirs way behind that counter. You can't blame the guy. He is trying to make some extra cash. Go there, look around with out getting too close to the counter but close enough to hear what the guys are talking about it. You will get an idea, very fast, of witch guy knows his job or not. Try to work your way to him and explain to him what you want, your budget and your planed usage,.

#4- now a good guy,, should offer you, at least two different guns from the same manufacturer. You will find out that the choices are BIG. There is no -bad gun- in these days. You can take a $1000 rifle and you will find out that ,, there is not much difference in performance. If there was ???? that manufacture would be in trouble.

#5- the most important thing is that- when you pull that rifle to your chin ,,, she becomes part of you body. IT FEELS RIGHT. If a rifle fits you good and feels good in your hands,,, then you will love it for loooong time. If it does not and you decide to buy it because- I, Joe or someone else is telling you that,,, is a good rifle ,,,,, . You just waisted your money.

I have only one rifle. Browning,lightweight, take down,lever activated,pistol grip, 30-06 cal. Zeiss 3-9x40.

#1- I choose the take down for is size when packed and is benefit when traveling.
    #2- I chose the lever activated,,, because I get a faster recharge time and in the same time i find it a little bit more classic then bolt activated. In my eyes ,, the fact that, I don't have to take my finger off trigger, load and ready to shoot,,,, is a big benefit.
    #3- I choose the 30-06 for its avalabilty and grain choices 150 -210. You can find it at al most any gas station and the prices are still reasonable.

Now,, I know that this rifle will not give me a good MOA passed 300 yards, at least not in my hands but is ideal for tight corners and is light enough for all day walk.

Good luck with your choice.

17. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Got to ask. What ever happened to the time when a gun "off the shelf" couldnt do the job required? It's a money thing?? Hell my dad had a surplus Mauser in 8mm that he sporterised and it did him just fine. Bought scope mounts hunting ammo, and it has never let him down. Now this was in something like 1964 but ....it still shoots great, and I bought a surplus Mauser because i liked it. Mine shoots like none other. Just my 2 cents. BTW I love the Remington 700

18. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    What he said.^^^

19. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Def Lepard SUCKS!!!!

20. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Now, I like the Remington 700 series, but.....

My personal favorites are:

TC Encore/G2 Contender. Yes, they are single shot, but you know it is not only reliable, but the accuracy is unbelievable. Not to mention the vast amount of different calibers to choose from. Plus a lifetime warranty.

TC Icon is an absolutely awesome rifle. Only real downside for you is the shortage of available calibers. .308 is not a bad round, but not exactly what you want.

I have yet to hear anything bad about a Tika either.

Products Discussed in

To Top