1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Socom or Socom II .308

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by ToucanV13, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Mar 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 [OP] You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    About to pull the trigger on one of these. Any experience with them? I love the OD green for the Socom but would I need the rail of the Socom II? For sure want something versatile and that if I had to could make the long range shot

2. Mar 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I almost bought one when I was looking for my first AR. Sweet. The reason I didn't go that route was weight and that I can carry more ammo if I had to with 5.56.

3. Mar 13, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    A friend of mine has the SOCOM II, and I dont see the advantage over an AR, except the higher power of the 308 round. The weapon is very heavy, and you have to carry much less ammo.

4. Mar 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Over ratted round. The 458 SOCOM is a BAMF!

5. Mar 13, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    IIRc, 280 to 450. They may go higher. Nice thing about it, is a simple upper change, and your good. 5.56 mags are used for that ammo.

6. Mar 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Yeah....I'd like an AR too but for right now, I can carry the weight and carry extra mags if need be. I'd like to tell you it would not be a CQB but if it came down to it...All in all, I plan on a couple pistolas, 17hmr, 22LR, AR, and a Socom. Just was wondering, say the Socom would be my reach out there weapon, I would want the Socom II for the rail to mount a good scope. Then again I know you can shoot 600yds accurately with the AR so....

7. Mar 14, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I want one! [​IMG]

8. Mar 14, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  9. Mar 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Damn you Kevin! They both look great. I contacted them about a Socm II in OD green so we'll see

10. Mar 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    I'd go with a socom 1 and then add a tri-rail heatshield like Zombie Runner posted. I've shot the socom II that my buddy has, and that bottom rail can tear up your hand; you dont really need it anyway b/c you can mount a bipod to the front sling swivel. Maybe a vltor stock if you wanted to add some adjustability.

[​IMG]

11. Mar 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ^ Yeah I like that idea. Prob can find the parts for cheaper anyways so I can get some good optics. Don't think I'd need a bipod anyways but I do like a forward grip for a more stable standing platform

12. Mar 14, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    SCCAKen

SCCAKen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 Auto TRD Off Road
    Weathertech floor liners, MacNeil dark window deflectors, debadged, dedecaled.
    I'd go for the SOCOM I.

I'm not a fan of those big wrap around rails.
    You can usually add some small rail to the top or side. How much stuff aside from an ooptic are you really gonna put on there and use anyways? (aside from Zombie killer snapshots)

I went with a SCOUT version because I didn't needed the shortened barrel and that modifed gas system.

13. Mar 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco Magnetic Grey
    5100's all around, front at 0 with Ebiach springs up front; Wheelers 3 leaf AAL rear, Spidertrax
    Remember that with short barrels come three things....loss of accuracy at longer distances, more recoil, and more noise. The report from a barrel that is shorter is much louder and can get down right annoying. And that Smith comp does work at muzzle flip reduction at the cost of a very high pitch report and a pressure blast. I am a competitive rifle shooter from 100 to 1000 yards with iron sights and own an M1A and several AR's. The advantage you gain with the scout and scoutII with the shorter barrel will be that it's more mobil in CQB situations. But, you must understand that almost any AR will be more accurate than an M1A at any distance. The reason is bedding. The M1A must have proper bedding and an AR does not. All an AR needs is a floated barrel and good ammo. Now, there are some super stocks for the M1A series of rifles, but, it's going to cost you an ass load of money. With a shorter barrel, your going to loose the advantage of the 308 at distance....say beyond 300 meeters/yards. If this is just a plinking screwing around and a SHTF rifle, buy an AR or an AK. Inside 300 meters the AK and the M1A are about the same. I love my M1A, and it's been worked to be good all the way to about 800 to 900 yards (full length barrel) with the proper ammo, but, if I needed to go to war and wanted or needed a 308 I would be humping an AR10 not an M1A of some kind. The M1A series are cool rifles, and if you have got to have one I totally get it. There was a time when I just had to have one too. I would not trade or sell mine. But, I think it gets compared to the AR way too much. They are too different. I think the scout should be up against some AR10 type rifle like the DPMS Panther I believe it's called.

14. Mar 14, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Guess an AR is in the works then with a Panther then later a Socom I :D Although it just seems hard to break myself from it right now. Guess I'm gonna have to look for that so you wanna buy an AR thread

15. Mar 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Why a Panther, if you don't mind me asking?

16. Mar 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    So I have a long range platform. I just can't get over the Socom though but if it's not going to help doing any long range shooting. Thoughts PF?

17. Mar 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    Indian Shifter

Indian Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashil
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 White DC TRD Sport 4x4 Manual
    What you wanna get your hands on, is a R1...made by bennelli...we used to pot do hot dogs at up 600 meters across into Mozambique with no sights....

18. Mar 14, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Damnit all to hell. The way I'm looking at this now is I'm like the guy who wants the 4x4 but I let someone talk me into the 4x2 then I'm never really all that happy. Trying to figure out now if I want the I or II. I like iron sights the best and know their potency if you know how to use em. I'll get a better long range gun later with less report but I can't get over it for some reason. I appreciate your info to all and I'm not trying to dismiss the insight but it's just that 'feeling' you have I guess. So I could do an eotech for right now but was also looking at acogs with cqb sights too... Guess I answered my own question and will go for I and if I need/want more rail I could always get it. So, acog too or just eotech?

19. Mar 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    My thoughts steer clear of DPMS. I'd look at LMT's .308 or Knight's Armament or even Rock River Arms.:)

20. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco Magnetic Grey
    5100's all around, front at 0 with Ebiach springs up front; Wheelers 3 leaf AAL rear, Spidertrax
    LMT or Knights is top shelf professional gear. If you can afford it, it's the way to go. Now, let me ask you what do you consider "long range" and what is the the rifle going to be used for? So, if you answer I want to hit man size targets at 500 yards, then any of those rifles can do it. Life is short, buy what you want. I just want you to realize that no one is regularly hitting anything past 300 or so yards with a short barrel M1A. I am not saying you cant do it, but, it becomes very difficult. And, you have to know how to read the wind, and employ the iron or other sights. Guys think they are going to bring x rifle and because it's a 308 they can just start drilling the target at 500 or 600 yards. It's fucking hard. Two weeks ago I was shooting at the state Palma championships (iron sights at 800, 900, 1000 yards) and on the second day at 900 my first shot was blown 5 feet off of where I was aiming! The wind was worth about 7 to 7.5 minutes of angle and I thought it was only worth about 3. So, I put that on my sights and boom.....nothing my target had a zero score for that shot. My rifle: 30 inch barrel, single shot bolt action target rifle in 308 (the same everyone else was using). The 308 is not the best round for that type of shooting...but, by the rules we have to use it. I am a rated by the NRA as a Master, which is the second highest level in High Power Rifle and I missed the dam target. So, my point is what is long range to you and what are you going to do with it? If the answer is "I want to bang a metal gong at 400" the go for it. I do it at times with my WWII M1 and it's fun. But again, if your going to war, then an AR10 is a better system because it does not beat it self to death. In the end it's your rifle....and likely not the last you will ever buy. Cheers, Carlo

Products Discussed in

To Top