1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AR/ Mini-14 or Mini 30

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by AZHornet, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    AZHornet

AZHornet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab
    I am in the process starting to research whether to get an AR in 5.56/7.62 or look at the Mini 14/30...the gun would mostly be used for plinking...I was looking to build out an AR in the A2 (?) style..similiar to what was carried in Vietnam...some guy at the range today had a beautiful Tactical looking Mini 30 in all black....felt gorgeous...I know the cost of a AR would probably be cheaper slightly cheaper but the feel of the Mini was top notch...I have had a 10-22 for a number of years so I am already impressed with Ruger quality. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with the newer Mini 14/30's?

2. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    no personal experience with the "mini" line but ive always read that they are not all that accurate. compared to what I dont know.

You can go to your local academy or gun shop and get a decent AR in A2 configuration for 700-1000 bucks.
    the cheapest ive seen mini -14's going for now days is right around 700 and that was at wal mart.

3. Mar 20, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    showmeballer

showmeballer Well-Known Member

Member:
    st. louis
    Vehicle:
    08 trd off-road
    None yet
    You have much to learn young grasshopper. Go here and lurk for awhile and the choice will be an easy one. http://www.ar15.com/

For a truck gun a Mini-14/30 would be good and you can find them new for around $600, but an AR is a better all around gun and has a lot more options of how to configure it. My dad has a 14 and it is an ok gun, but I much prefer my AR to it.

4. Mar 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    mini -30 ftmfw

5. Mar 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mini 14s suck balls compared to a good AR and the mags are not only less reliable but more expensive to boot. So a Mini 14 has less reliable, more expensive mags, less accuracy, less reliablity, less suitable for use with optics, less parts upgrade options. There is no advantage to a Mini 14. Ruger makes decent 22s but thats it IMO. Every other gun ther is something I like better... I even prefer the Browning Buckmark for a .22 pistol due to ATF decisoins on what is the receiver vs gun barrel for buying Tactical Solutions barrels for suppression. 10-22 is the only Ruger you should own IMO... and even then Id rather have a .22 upper for the AR to be honest. Then there is the fact Ruger is just not 2nd Amendment friendly and its owner and founder is a douche canoe.

AR all the way and in every way in 5.56... if you want a 7.62x39 weapon buy an AK.

Also... in Vietnam they carried the A1 style, not the A2 style... different grips, stocks, forearms, barrels, and sights. Id advise NOT getting that style and getting an M4 style carbine and getting a flat top. Not getting a carbine or flat top are two of the biggest new buyer regrets in the AR world.

Ive not posted on ar15.com in years but had like 30,000 posts when I left. Was big into ARs for many years.

If I was not clear before... there is NOTHING better about an Mini14 compared to an AR15. It is inferior in each and every way imaginable.

I have about $5000 in my current AR I carry for work including optics, silencer, tax stamps, weapon light, etc. You can spend an assload of monay on an AR, but a cheap one is till better than a Mini14.

6. Mar 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    Get a bushmaster M4 with the permanant carry handle and mount an ACOG scope. You can still use the sights and the scope is perfect for the rifles capabilities. You can even hunt whitetail deer if you use 69 to 75 grain bullets,(gotta have really good shot placement). Shot an 8 pointer this year at 130 yards. Base of the neck droped without even a step.

7. Mar 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    AR15 with ACOG here, love the thing.

I was just in Scottsdale for two weeks, lots a tacomas in that area!!
    IS yours silver DC by chance?

8. Mar 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Id personally reccomend NOT getting the ACOG in the carry handle. It messes up the BDC for all but a very few scopes. Much better to have a QD Mount on a flat top and some flip sights. I think I have bought, sold, used, reviewed, attached and removed every AR sight, optic, device, or part ever made. Not having a good cheek weld or usable BDC does not make for a good optic set up IMO. THe hold over, in close, is really excessive. I am not really all over ACOGs as general use sights either... BAC is imprecise... man I feel like I am back on ARFCOM again. THe best optic I ever used was the Elcan Specter DR. Next was a redot magnifier. Next was a 1-4X variable and THEN the ACOG.

ACOGs are great for rifles who are shot at 50yards+ they are not good optics who are used primarily 50 yards and in with some sue out to 300+ yards. IMO no 5.56 AR is very good past 300 due to wind issues inherant to the 5.56 round.

9. Mar 20, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    AZHornet

AZHornet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab
    Thanks for the clarification on the A1 vs. A2 style...Ive been doing some research on the AR15's and so many styles and upgrades you can do...lots of folks seem to be in agreement...AR is the way to go vs. either of the Mini's...I am not particularly concerned about doing any upgrades etc...mine will mostly be used for plinking..I may have to go with the A1 style as I really like the look...thank you again everyone for the good insights and advice..will keep you apprised when I buy my upper.

10. Mar 21, 2011 at 1:33 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    The ACOG scope is designed and engineered to fit into the carry handle so the bullet drop calibrations are right on the money. Also this scope allows the user to opt for using the rifles sights without any scope removal. ACOG's are used by out military and are fine for under 50 yards. If your concerned with QCB situations then mount a laser with a pressure switch and your good to go. I used to have a Elcan mounted on a flat top AR that I built and have to agree with you that its a really good scope as well although for me I rank the ACOG as number one. I also agree that if you are not planning on using an ACOG then buy a M4 with a flat top receiver so that you can mount any optics without BDC issues.

11. Mar 21, 2011 at 2:22 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Just cause you have 30k in posts doesn't mean you are any type of expert on anything for that matter. Just sayin.

12. Mar 21, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Why :notsure:

check out m4carbine.net and ar15.com and do some reading before making any purchases. You will learn a TON, and you probably wont have anyone trying to tell you to get a bushmaster either.

13. Mar 21, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    I know quite a bit about AR's so I'm not really understanding what your getting at. Do you not like Bushmaster's or do you not like permanant carry handle format. Remember I stated in my post that if you are not going to use an ACOG to get a flat top. Look at post #10 Or if you are asking why I used the M4 for hunting this year its because I had major shoulder surgery 4 months prior to the season starting and I could not shoulder my 308 (too heavy) so I used my M4 (nice and light) which is legal to use in NYS as long as your clip is only 5 rounds.

14. Mar 21, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Bushmaster being at bottom of the totem pole.

for a plane jane iron sights rifle I would choose the carry handle but if your gonna run an optic of any sort I would go with a flat top.
    also why spend the money on a ACOG but go cheap and get a bushy?

the flat top vs. carry handle is all personal opinion though, no real reason to debate that.

15. Mar 21, 2011 at 6:05 AM
    Fireguy68

Fireguy68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A Brown Guy
    Spring Hill, TN
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver TRD DC Sport 4X4
    I had a mini 14 for a number of years and never had a problem with it. It never jammed and was accurate. I have no experience with and AR though.

16. Mar 21, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Ok thanks for getting back to me brother. I have always liked Bushmaster its a solid battle proven rifle and I believe Bushmaster and Colt are or were the only two companies that have the military contract although I might be showing my age with that statement. This may have changed over the years. I know there are some very costly configurations with forged lowers out now and different gas and blowback systems. What do you recommend

17. Mar 21, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Nowdays bushmaster is a very entry level AR. Im not sure of all the weapon contracts that the military currently has but at our armory we have colt 99% of rifles and we have a few FN rifles as well.

If the most the OP is going to be doing is shooting of the bench at the range then a bushy or any AR you can find at your local sporting good store would suffice. But if you want a better quality rifle for around the same cost I would reccomend buying the upper and lower separate and jsut mating the two together.

Im building an AR at the moment and I think my grand total was right at 830. Thats with a bravo company upper reciever (everyone raves about these so i thought I would give it a shot)

a base model bushmaster is still gonna be around $850-950

18. Mar 21, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    This.

19. Mar 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    x2

20. Mar 21, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    GuapOh

GuapOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 MT
    Skid Plate, Hood Protector, Wheel Locks, Snugtop XV, Yakima Rack, Weathertechs, Sick Speed Shifter, Avid Bumper, Avid Sliders, Bilstien 5100's, TSB Spring packs
    I own a 2009 build Stainless Steel 581 series Mini 14 which has the fatter bbl for enhanced accuracy. I run a Eotech 512 on it which does perfect for shooting out to 100 yards or so. After that, you will need a true optic to really see what you are shooting at.

One thing is for sure, having fun is the key and the funnest of all the guns you are considering is the Mini 14.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top