Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Florida Trying To Pass "Open Carry"

View Poll Results: "Open Carry" Yes or No ?
Yes 133 84.18%
No 25 15.82%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
BowhunterTRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Corey
BowhunterTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Florida Trying To Pass "Open Carry"

I really hope this passes....

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...riers-firearms

also posted a poll...who agrees and disagrees with open carry...please discuss why in your reply...thought it would be a nice discussion
Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
WizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WizzyTRDTXPRO's Tacoma Gallery
I really don't think there should be a reason why someone couldn't open carry.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
WizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzyTRDTXPRO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WizzyTRDTXPRO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I dig that other people might have the option to. I'm not a big open carry kinda guy-Makes you a target IMHO. But more power to those folks who want to!!
That is my only issue with open carry and the looks you'd get from the general public thinking you were a Law Enforcement Officer. I support conceal carry more then open carry but I don't think there should be laws to stop open carry.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I dig that other people might have the option to. I'm not a big open carry kinda guy-Makes you a target IMHO. But more power to those folks who want to!!

or it completely stops armed robbery................

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...bbery-kennesaw

Quote:
Two customers displaying holstered pistols deterred an armed robbery in a Kennesaw Wafflehouse recently.
There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearing handguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.
Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkway at I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scout for an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it. At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone. Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers were parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.
The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store..............
Old 03-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
i don't mind open carry. it's legal in NC best i understand (with obvious laws restricting schools, bars, stuff like that). . . last week i saw a guy (tell the truth he looked like a thug) walking into a gas station with a 9mm just hanging from his belt. . . in my opinion if you can see it, less shit will start up because of it. kind of like my stance on anti-nuclear disarmament - now that everybody has nukes, everybody's afraid to start shit in fear of getting blown to hell. look at the death rate of wars in recent history since WWII, it's way down. nobody wants to escalate wars to the point where the other side would bust out the bad stuff . . . .but now im getting of subject and will conclude this post.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
or it completely stops armed robbery................

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...bbery-kennesaw

Sorry that I don't have anecdotal evidence of armed guards and uniformed authorities being the first people to be targeted and/or subdued in violent crimes committed with guns...but I would rather conceal.

Not to mention- I've never been in an armed robbery situation- but I've been in LOTS of places where I would have gotten dirty looks and/or questions about my gun and I don't want to make a spectacle of myself. It's bad enuf when I wear shirts from my law enforcement question and people come up to me and try to report crimes or ask me about who's doors I've kicked in.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
imho the uniform is what makes them a target not the gun.....
Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Since I already live in an OPEN carry state .... I don't see a problem with other states going that route.

I'd never do it myself - because it draws attention to yourself, it'll freak people out (and they'll probably call 911 on you)....
I'd rather avoid the hassle (to myself & others). But that's me.

If you own a business....I think its a damn good idea for you & your employees to get the proper training and OPEN carry while on site of the business.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
I have a fl. cwp & i think open carry is a good thing. Dam hard to put on a coat in fl. summers. I dont carry looking for shit i carry so there will be no shit.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Yukon Cornelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Since I already live in an OPEN carry state .... I don't see a problem with other states going that route.

I'd never do it myself - because it draws attention to yourself, it'll freak people out (and they'll probably call 911 on you)....
I'd rather avoid the hassle (to myself & others). But that's me.

If you own a business....I think its a damn good idea for you & your employees to get the proper training and OPEN carry while on site of the business.

ive only had one person in 4 years of Open Carry call the police and it was a customer at Books-A-Million and was calling to find out if it was legal or not....the other time the police officer decided to intrude on dinner with my family at Denny's and no one called him....the management actually said he was the one causing the disturbance....

http://www.georgiacarry.com/county/g...%206-10-08.pdf

Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I fully support it. its hard to conceal being 6' tall, 150lbs... and I cant stand wearing baggy clothes.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
I get the point about discouraging tourism, though. I know I do not like to vacation in places with people openly wearing firearms.

I had an uncle who years ago used to always wear a revolver on his belt. He thought he was a badass, but really he just wore it because he felt inadequate to everyone and it gave him a feeling of power.

I know a lot of people in Florida like that...
Old 03-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
There are folks down here that are sure you owe them something and they want to take it. Jest pulling the coat back a little bit works good. Im not going to give up things i have worked to get cuz someone else is lazy.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
Yukon Cornelius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
I get the point about discouraging tourism, though. I know I do not like to vacation in places with people openly wearing firearms.

I had an uncle who years ago used to always wear a revolver on his belt. He thought he was a badass, but really he just wore it because he felt inadequate to everyone and it gave him a feeling of power.

I know a lot of people in Florida like that...
I guess you only vacation to TX, OK, AR, FL, SC, IL NY and the District of Columbia??

OC is legal in some form in every other state http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
I think its a great idea for FL to go to open. I totally agree with the instance where your carrying concealed and your shirt rides up or something and you get cited for having your gun visible. It will get rid of that completely. I open carry to and from hunting and fishing so why not.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #17
Yukon Cornelius
if a fishing license wasnt so expensive for GA residents id OC in Jacksonville....
Old 03-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #18
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
if a fishing license wasnt so expensive for GA residents id OC in Jacksonville....
lol ya for military its $20 for fresh/salt/hunting/WMA and deer and turkey permit its awesome!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #19
Yukon Cornelius
well im not military...maybe in a couple years after i finish my nursing bachelors....then ill be able to join as an officer
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
TacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AL
TacoAL's Tacoma Gallery
Open carry is a deterrent but it comes at the expense of making the public uneasy. Not sure how many of you have been to DC lately but seeing armed agents carrying MP5s and M16 in just about any direction you look is a little un-nerving. Now think about running into this but only civilians. I think the Florida's CCW is too lax in it's training - Have a clean background, few hours in a classroom, ten minuets on a range, send in your package and a few months later you can carry.

There is no way we should approve this unless the person has had prior military training in LEO or works as a firearms instructor or by the least as contracted armed security. Even the Florida G security license should not be enough for open carry.

I'm all for guns and the safety and well being of everyone so I come from the standpoint that these tools we have at our disposal should only be used for those purposes.