Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Pistol caliber comparison's 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm, .357 Sig, .45ACP etc

Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Pistol caliber comparison's 9mm, .40S&W, 10mm, .357 Sig, .45ACP etc

Feel free to compare which ever caliber you choose. Pistols only.

Post articles, evidence etc to support your choices!

I'm not looking to get any threads locked so good natured disagreements only. Name calling, cop, military bashing not welcomed.

Enjoy!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:

http://lifeinthegreatmidwest.blogspo...9mm-vs-45.html

http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_357Sig.htm

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/w...57.compare.htm
Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
44 mag!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
44 mag!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
Note the almost 800# of energy, which is from a "sissy" 240 grain at 1180 fps. Some of the rounds I have made calculate out to almost 1100.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #6

Also, the 40 S&W energy is a little exagerated. A hot 155 grain load will get nearly 500# of energy, but most loadings (180 & 165) are 350 to 420.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Note the almost 800# of energy. Some of the rounds I have made calculate out to almost 1100.

And you look like this shooting it....

Partial to .45.... makes BIG holes
Old 03-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Trooper
Name: Blake
2010nctaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to have to say .357sig. But I would hate to get shot with any of them. .357 sig is what I carry for work.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post

And you look like this shooting it....

Partial to .45.... makes BIG holes

Hmmm....You may have a point...

Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #10

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010nctaco View Post
I'm going to have to say .357sig. But I would hate to get shot with any of them. .357 sig is what I carry for work.
For a pistol yea, I'm a fan of .357 Sig but a wheel gun uhm, Chris got it...lol unless you wanna carry a short barreled .500.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=aaron1mcc;2901914]

http://lifeinthegreatmidwest.blogspo...9mm-vs-45.html

http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_357Sig.htm

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/9mm.357.compare.htm[/QUOTE]

Very nice post Aaron. Top chart is really informative. Bravo
Was issued 357 mag when I started with the state police (great gun a real beast although a pain to reload), Then job switched us to 9mm glocks this lasted a few years. After they conducted their own studies and reveiwed numerous shootings both on a state and national level they decided to switch us to .45 GAP round, which is pretty much identical to the 45acp but just a tad shorter. The glocks are truely indestructable and if you keep your wrist locked are flawless. When testing the glocks one was fired underwater and actually chambered a new round. My personal carry is a Detonics Combat Master 45acp loaded with hornady personal defense 185 grain rounds.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #13

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
454 casull...ftmfw....240gr xtp at 1900 fps 1923 f/lbs at muzzle.
1678fps 1500 f/lbs at 50 yds
That is fuckin beast. lol impractical for carry but one hell of a gun. People carry those here on the island in cross draw chest holsters for bear defense...against this:

Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1mcc View Post
That is fuckin beast. lol impractical for carry but one hell of a gun. People carry those here on the island in cross draw chest holsters for bear defense...against this:

no way a carry gun, but huge medicine for almost anything that walks the earth.....
Old 03-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #15

Law Enforcement:
Well you could carry it out in the open, lol then you wouldn't need a concealed carry permit for it! And you prolly wouldn't need to use it either cuz people would definitely not fuck with you if you're carrying a hand cannon.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Well you could carry it out in the open, lol then you wouldn't need a concealed carry permit for it! And you prolly wouldn't need to use it either cuz people would definitely not fuck with you if you're carrying a hand cannon.
good point....
my normal carry gun is an xd40 5" :

i've got 13,000+ rounds through this gun(replaced barrel at around 9,000) it is unreasonably accurate and stupid dependable.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #17

Law Enforcement:
And looks better then a Glock.

I had a Taurus 24/7 Pro that I carried but then I sold it...and got a M&P .40 full size. I'm thinking my next purchase for it is going to be a Storm Lake 4.95" ported barrel in .357 Sig and a carry holster. I work with a guy that has an xdm .40 and got a 9mm ported barrel for it...he loves it. Might be something to look into if you wanna change up your shooting since they are straight drop in's. You can get them threaded to for threaded compensator's or cans.

Btw, thoughts on 9mm vs .40/.357 Sig or .45 for carry?

Speaking of Glock's and carrying, I found only one G-gun that I like, the G29 in 10mm. Big stuff in a small package...lol and looks halfway decent doing it.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #18

Quote:
And looks better then a Glock.

I had a Taurus 24/7 Pro that I carried but then I sold it...and got a M&P .40 full size. I'm thinking my next purchase for it is going to be a Storm Lake 4.95" ported barrel in .357 Sig and a carry holster. I work with a guy that has an xdm .40 and got a 9mm ported barrel for it...he loves it. Might be something to look into if you wanna change up your shooting since they are straight drop in's. You can get them threaded to for threaded compensator's or cans.

Btw, thoughts on 9mm vs .40/.357 Sig or .45 for carry?
my thoughts? well i would go with .40 S&W. only because thats what i have the most experience with. i've shot .45 and 9mm. hell, i qualified expert with 9mm. but i have more .40's down range than any other round. and its what i feel most comfortable shooting. i think the bottom line, for carry, is use what you're most comfortable with.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #19

Law Enforcement:
I can agree with that. I shot the M9 at boot camp, go the minimum score, once I got to the unit, I shot the Sig P229 DAK in .40...Did better but still Marksman. Never really liked the gun till I went to FLETC and shot over 2000 rounds thru it in 3 months. Came away with Expert. Now I actually like the gun. I'm very comfortable with it and it seems very well made, but I would take it in .357 Sig. From my research I've kinda liked the .357S as its a cross between the .40 and 9mm. Once I get the drop in barrel I'll have to take it out and do some hands on research...considering what I take from that I'll prolly get either the Sig P229 DAK in it or the compact M&P.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that you should get experience in a few different ranges of calibers before you decide on one to carry. You can't just go out and buy a gun and expect it to be what you want and expect that you'll like shooting it. That is of course IMHO.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
showmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud of

showmeballer's Tacoma Gallery
I like all of those calibers.

My next handgun will be a G29SF, gotta get me a 10mm.