1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Philadelphia Police violate rights of open carrier at gunpoint

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 08WhiteTRD, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mar 25, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i bought it when it first came out as well.i think i might have the cassete tape of it.lmao

2. Mar 25, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    OC, CC or just in general?

3. Mar 25, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm all for our Constitutional rights, but I do think that if you OC a weapon, your opening a door up to get allot of negative attention, especially from cops, who, in a big city have allot on their plates with a fairly high crime rate. From reading the forum that was posted, it wasn't this guys first dealings with the PPD...and it seems like he's asking for trouble and looking to file a lawsuit for a quick payday. I don't particularly agree with the open carry law. Seems as if something like that is just adding to problems an already stretched thin police force has to deal with. I don't want to elicit a riot on this thread, just stating my opinion. I'm not saying I agree with how the situation was handled, I just kind of see where the cop was coming from. However, he should know the laws he's enforcing.

4. Mar 25, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    Nick Sells

Nick Sells Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elgin, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Weather there is a need to carry or not is not the issue it is a right and if he went through all the proper steps to be able to carry then he can, he should have been a little more cooperative and I would have probly done the same as the original cop on the seen if I didn't know the laws for my area even though it's my job to.:D As for the other cop cussing and being a prick he probly just watches to many movies and Philly P.D. most likely has a law suit on there hands yay for America.

5. Mar 25, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    The guy carries a recorder as he stated in my post.
    seriously.

6. Mar 25, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Yeah...hes asking for trouble. Like I said, I'm all for our Constitutional rights, but they aren't put in place as an excuse marker for bad decisions. This fella needs a job or a different hobby to soak up his free time. lol.

7. Mar 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    he was looking for a pay day and wanted proof

8. Mar 25, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    you hit the nail on the head!

9. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    PhillyTacoma

PhillyTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner
    Webasto Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-z120bt in dash nav, nerf bars, XD rims
    Ok... backstory. This guy studied police directives and the state laws concerning open carry. In PA you cannot open carry in a city of the first class, like Philadelphia. This guy found a loophole and is trying to build up a case on it because he doesnt want to get a real job, yet he does want to make alot of money at one time... It is a constitutional right to own weapons NOT CARRY THEM. You APPLY for a permit to carry. I work in West Philadelphia and if someone has a weapon out in the open you contain the subject until you can verify that the permit is valid and the weapon is not stolen. Carrying is a priveledge, and if you feel the need to show the world (defeating the purpose in my eyes) your carrying then this is what youll deal with. These officers did exactly what they are trained to do. If you are not a law enforcement officer in an urban area you really dont know what its like to not know where bullets are flying from half the night. It is common to draw down on people who dont visibly have a weapon because you just dont know. One of my friends brothewrs was killed on the job by a guy who shot him through his jacket pocket. He had no idea he even had a weapon.

Also i find your ignorant comments very offensive about not inviting police into your homes ect.. Thats like saying the men in the navy from Seattle are the gayest.

10. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

I am sorry but youre wrong....ive OCd all over Philly! and ive never had any problems i guess the cops i came across were more knowledgeable than the ones in the youtube link.... so are you questioning his right to bear arms??

carrying is not a privilege....it is a Right and especially open carry....the people have Rights and the govt only has privileges that we grant them to have

11. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya! Like I said, he's causing un-needed problems for an undrstaffed and stressed police force. I agree with what your saying 100% percent. When I say it could have ben handled differently, I mean the way the officer talked to the supect. I'm sure though, in the situation I would do the same thing though...but I'm not a cop, I don't know what it's like to be in that situation. Cops are always welcome in my home! My dads a retired cop....all the respect in the world for what you guys do.

12. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    I didn't listen to the audio, and I dont know shit about the laws in PA.

That said, I'd bet my left nut that a condition of legal open carry is that the police have the right to stop you and demand to see your permit. Im sure this guy knows that, and like others stated, the fact that he carries a recorder and is confrontational with police is an indication that the trouble he got was exactly what he was looking for.

Also, if you are carrying a gun, concealed or openly-and are stopped by the police-they have a right to take the gun from you for the duration of the time they're with you. A fact this guy is also well aware of.

I understand the bullshit about it being your right, etc. but common sense has to prevail. It is your right to walk through the ghetto with $100 bills sticking out of your pockets, wearing a tee shirt that says "rob me", but nobody does that because it invites trouble.

I carry my gun EVERYWHERE, but I will never carry it out in the open, even when Florida does approve open carry. It is stupid and pointless.

13. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

oh yea aggravated assault for exercising civil rights is always the what you gotta do...:rolleyes:

On the issue of whether a firearm, by itself, justifies detaining and investigating a person, there
    are many federal cases addressing the issue. United States v. Ubiles, 224 F.3d 213 (3d Cir.
    2000) declares that possession of a firearm in public, with no other circumstances present, does
    not justify a stop. "For all the officers knew, even assuming the reliability of the tip that Ubiles
    possessed a gun, Ubiles was . . . lawfully exercising his right . . . to possess a gun in public." See
    also United States v. Dudley, 854 F. Supp. 570 (S.D.Ind. 1994), in which the court declared that
    a report of persons with guns did not justify an investigative stop. "In short, the Government
    failed to establish . . . that some reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, based on articulable
    facts, justified this seizure. And, if the stop itself is unlawful, neither Terry nor Michigan v.
    Long authorize the police to search the suspects or the suspect's vehicle for weapons, even if the
    officers reasonably fear for their safety."
    Likewise, the U.S. Supreme Court in Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266 (2000), declared that there is
    no "gun exception" to the Fourth Amendment.

14. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

have you ever seen someone murdered in front of you and not possessed the tools needed to protect your own life or others in the vicinity? I have....

15. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

16. Mar 25, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I see your point as well...but, the suspect didn't listen to the officer and was being difficult...you have to admit that!

17. Mar 25, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill

exactly,.... well said.

18. Mar 25, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    so because someone interrupts your day you have to just go along with it??? not saying the guy was/wasnt respectful but they had no reason to stop him in the first place because he was not committing any crime what so ever

19. Mar 25, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    Muscles

Muscles Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    K&N Air Intake
    Ya the guy was pretty dumb..if i was a cop I would be just as jumpy as this cop...if the dude has a liscense to carry a fire arm cool but he still has a gun and could use it. All he needs to do is co-operate and listen to the cop and it would be smoother....

20. Mar 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    If it's a Police Officer...yeah! If he had cooperated it would have been much easier on him IMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top