Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

AR15 Rear sight question

Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
AR15 Rear sight question

Just got a new rear sight and noticed that the large aperture is machined significantly off-center to the right. Basically Im wondering if this is a defect, or normal.

After researching, internet rumors say its to account for the horizontal shift when switching from small to large aperture.

Whats the verdict? I know there are some AR savvy folks around here

Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well I have a call in with Primary Arms (retailer), they have a call in with Daniel Defense (mfg). Primary Arms indicated all the other rear sights they had in stock had the same offset, so they called DD to get more details.

Either this is part of a rogue batch of bad sights, or an quite the oddly engineered piece.

Ill update when I get an answer.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
im pretty sure you can turn the screw on the side to move the sight left and right........
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Local Man

I talked to from Geoff at Primary Arms who heard back from Daniel Defense. The large aperture is off center on the post because the pivot rides on the threaded windage adjustment. Basically when you switch between large/small apertures, there is a slight change in windage due to the pivot on the thread. The offset on the large aperture is to compensate for this. All is well!

Thanks to Geoff at Primary Arms who had my question answered in no time at all. Highly recommended retailer.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Local Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
im pretty sure you can turn the screw on the side to move the sight left and right........
Were talking about the offset of the hole in the post, not the offset of the post in the sight.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
ahh i just saw that it was alittle to the right didnt notice that it was offset on post
Old 04-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you talked to them and got confirmation that it's part of the design.

That's weird though. I just had to go look at my A.R.M.S Inc. rear sight on my Stag 2T and both the large and small aperture are dead middle.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
thats good info, thanks for sharing.