1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For house protection...Ruger .380 or S&W 9mm?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Aggie97, May 2, 2011.

?

For me and wife, house protection...Ruger .380 compact or S&W 9MM (both $300)

Poll closed Jun 1, 2011.
  1. Ruger .380 compact

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. S&W 9MM

25 vote(s)
    89.3%
  1. May 2, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I know a decent amount about guns but certainly no expert. If I want to spend around $300 for a pistol for home protection (not planning on really carrying it much if any at all)

I have narrowed it down to the following 2. I want double-action only (I think they are safer), and I want something my wife can learn to use.

Your thoughts...

2. May 2, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Definitely the 9mm for home protection between the two. For carrying, I'd probably take the Ruger. As for quality, both are very nice firearms and I've owned both Ruger and S&W.

3. May 2, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
  4. May 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    i have both the ruger LCP .380 and than a S&W sigma 9mm. they are both good guns. The LCP has very small sights on it so if you were going to get it make sure you get the laser for it. The S&W is a good gun just has a long trigger pull. Its really up to you and which you like better when you shoot it. The LCP is a firecracker thats for sure. Its got some kick to it.

5. May 2, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    NorCal Taco

NorCal Taco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Misawa-Shi Aomori, Japan
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 DC Sport
    I agree with Colton, 9MM is a solid defense round, and in my experience, a lot easier to find ammo for. I own a LCP and like it because it suits my wife for carrying, but 9mm is much better for home defense..IMO..Hope it helps..

6. May 2, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    If it is for at home only, like a nightstand gun than concealbility is not an issue so the LCP should not even be considered.
    Get a full size pistol, you will have more ammo on tap and it will be MUCH easier to shoot and control than the LCP.
    $300 dollars isnt much for a quality gun but the S&W Sigma would be a good choice.
    Also any defensive gun should have night sights. If your house get broken into its gonna be at night and I dooubt they are going to turn the lights on for you.

7. May 2, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I've heard that about the kick of the LCP. Would it be worse than a 9MM though?

I know my wife would use either in a critical situation, but I also want her to not be reluctant to go and practice with wichever one we buy.

My wife is really small (5 ft 100 lbs), which would be easier to shoot for her? I've read the small size of the .380 actually makes it harder to shoot with two hands, it's better to hold with one...which I don't know if she'll dig that.

Thanks for feedback!

8. May 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    The 9mm Sigma would have less felt recoil than the LCP and be much easier to control. The LCPs grip is so much smaller it is a lot harder to controll, even for experienced gunners. Go with the S&W Sigma unless you plan on conceal carry, in which case you should still have the Sigma for your home defense gun.

9. May 2, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    Thanks! Good points.

10. May 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
    Neither
    Get a shotgun for HOME protection.
    Load it with #1 buck shot, every pull of the trigger will throw 11-14 .30 diameter pellets at once.
    Compare that with 1 bullet per trigger pull on your 380 or 9mm.
    The shotgun will stop most any assailant without suffering from "over" penetration.
    What happens if you awaken to a bad guy in your room, you grab the pistol and fire a round, missing your target?
    What if your kid is in the next room sleeping? A 380 or 9mm will happily go through the wall and hit whatever is on the other side.
    Save the pistols for carry on your person or in the car.
    Keep a shotgun under the bed and the couch.
    Properly shortened a shotgun is easily maneuverable inside the home.
    Use a pump action with pistol grip or if you want semi auto you'll need a Benelli m4, FN slp or similar.
    Your wife shouldn't have any trouble holding onto a shotgun with pistol grip.

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php
    http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=fnf005&gid=fng002
    Check your state and local laws also

11. May 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner

I do like shotguns for protection except for one reason...kids in house, ability to store safely in a place where one can get to it quickly. I actually had one, but my dad has it now in his gun safe.

I have a digital safe for a pistol (can get in it very quickly).

You have good points though.

12. May 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    ratfink504

ratfink504 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    RIP 06 Tacoma Two Tone TRD Sport 4x4
    See what your wife likes to hold and make sure she can chamber a round. The .380 has a nice little kick to it and if you dont have a good grip it has a better chance to jam. I would also look a S&W J frame like a 642 and shoot low recoil 38s.

Buckshot will happily go through the wall and hit whatever is on the other side also...
    As for pistol grip shotguns that puts a lot of recoil in your wrist and i'm a big guy and I dont like shooting one. Just dont buy into that line "all you need to do is rack a 12g and the bad guy will crap in his pants and run the other way". If I'm a bad guy and hear a gun being racked I'm going to fire in that direction.

13. May 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    The sigma is a great little gun. Its cheap also. I bought one for $219 and its very reliable. Its got a rail on the front so you can also get a light/laser combo for it and would make it a better home defense gun.

14. May 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    For sure the 9mm. I'd even go bigger if you can. Think more about the type of round than the caliber in home defense.

15. May 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    BoostingMS6

BoostingMS6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6
    I'm new to handguns as well, but I've done a lot of reading about the .380 for concealed carry; specifically, the Ruger.

I've heard a lot of things about the Ruger's recoil being uncomfortable, as can be expected for such a small weapon. Even shooters with experience have commented that it can be tough to aim accurately due to its small size, small sights, and recoil. Furthermore, .380 is a caliber that is really considered to be straddling the border of an effective weapon. I like the quote from Massad Ayoob, "Some experts will say it's barely adequate, and others will say it's barely inadequate." Honestly, if I wanted a weapon to protect my home and my family, I would NOT take the Ruger .380.

I know you said that you do not feel comfortable with a shotgun in your home for protection, as you have children. But ultimately, a shotgun is probably the safest weapon for home protection. I personally have a shotgun, and will still be purchasing a handgun. I'd see if maybe there's some way of working around the issues you have with shotgun safety before you invest in a handgun for home protection.

Hope this helps! :)

16. May 2, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    scrappletaco

scrappletaco Damn Deer and Idoit Drivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsport PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 reg cab 4x4, Debadged and dirty
    Debadged, Removed Charcoal filter
    I would go with a 9mm. ammo its a little cheaper but go with your gut its your handgun. Just be sure to practice with it. A larger framed gun will make practice more enjoyable but thats just my opinion.

17. May 3, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    You might try a Tanfoglio Witness classic. They are CZ75 copies. There is a guy on GunBroker.com that is selling them for 299.00, I think 321.00 shipped. Search Ray Tanner and you can get either a 9mm or .40 @ this price. I bought one about 2 weeks ago and have had no problems at all.

18. May 3, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    I appreciate all of the feedback. A lot of it I got this morning after the fact. I bought the 9mm on my way home from work.

I feel good about the purchase. Wife was surprised but also reluctantly interested. I'm going to have her take a gun safety class. Everyone keeps telling me to have her take the conceal class but I really dont' see a situation where she would be carrying.

We talk about that all of the time. Realistically, unless she has her hand in her purse on the gun itself, one would not be able to react in time to use one.

My sister-in-law was mugged about a year ago in a Kroger parking lot. She handled it well but needless to say was scared to death. He came up behind her right when she was about to get in her car, pointed a gun at her asking for her purse. She threw it at him and while he was reacting to catching it, she was already running and had a few cars between them. A witness saw, called the police and they caught him a few miles down the road.

If she had a gun in her purse, she would have just given it to him. In the house is different, you would most likely have a little time to get to one.

19. May 3, 2011 at 5:33 AM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
    thus the use of #1 shot

no need to rack it if ya keep it loaded
    an unloaded gun is dangerous

Penetration test are easy enough to set up. A sheet of drywall a few 2x4's and fire away.
    here are a few links to Penetration test
    http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/02/robert-farago/shotgun-penetration-with-various-rounds/
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311160
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/index.htm

20. May 3, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    I have the Ruger. I don't like that there is no safety. It has a crazy long trigger pull and is not accurate LOL.

Products Discussed in

To Top