1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

USA Continues 11 Month Record Gun Buying Streak

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Packman73, May 6, 2011.

1. May 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    He's using the nytimes as a source so it must be true.:rolleyes:

2. May 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup

Right, and supply and demand affect inflation/deflation just as much as the actions of the Federal Reserve.

The Fed causes inflation/deflation by manipulating interest rates, in addition to printing more money, which in turn effects the value of money. But they do these things with the mission of controlling inflation, so the things that they do are (theorectically) necessary reactions to market conditions (shitty housing market, nobody buying cars, unemployment, etc.)

Ammo prices did indeed go up because supply and demand- due to right wing radio and tv personalities spewing bullshit about Obama outlawing guns, taxing ammo to the point of $500 bullets, etc. so all the hillbillies and tin foil hat wearers out there bout all they could. Just like the huge increase in assault weapons purchases, because people feared he'd reimpose the assault weapons ban.

Truth is, since Obama came into office, gun laws have gotten less resstrictive. The Supreme Court has passed a landmark ruling establishing the right of everyone to own handguns.

And as for the post about me quoting the NY Times- i dont read that rag, nor am i one to trust everything in it, but facts are facts- tin foil hats and conspiracies be damned. And no, I did not vote for Obama

3. May 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Fair enough but in the future, try to site reputable sources.

4. May 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Well I do hope you are right. I hope that the feds dont just print our way out of debt, I hope that the US can balance its budget, and I hope everyone gets jobs and lives happily ever after.

5. May 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Since the military, I don't do guns much, but, with that said ... my wife wants to get a couple in case we have "civil problems" with a bad storm and for home protection.

Now have a 'like new" Walther S/S PPK .380 (circa 1986) ... but will probably get my old favorites again .... 12 ga pump (riot type with pistol grip) ... and a .45 ACP or a 9mm.

6. May 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    billwot

billwot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access 4 cyl auto SR5
    Actually, there have been 2 landmark SCOTUS decisions in recent years with respect to a citizens's right to own firearms-Heller v. DC, and McDonald v. Chicago.

But as you have indicated, those were Supreme Court rulings, and had nothing to do with the Obama administration.

But yes, there has been a clear trend of more liberal firearm laws in recent years. All but 2 states now have some provision for issuing concealed carry permits. The only exception are Illinois and Wisconsin.

7. May 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    LOL wut?

Ammoland --> the home of unbiased and reputable journalism.

8. May 9, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Exactly.

Wait, I thought you were on my ignore list already. I'll have to remedy that.

9. May 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    [​IMG]

10. May 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Who was it saying that under the obama admin gun laws are becoming less intrusive? Who ever thinks obama had any say in that is flat out wrong. The desisions for more states to allow open carry was based off desisions of the state gov not the fed gov. if I'm not mistaken the FED gov is currently trying to pass a bill banning the sale of any magizine holding more than 10 rds of ammo because of a couple of nut jobs that were going after gov officials.

Tell me how that is being more open.

11. May 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4

In my opinion the CPI is a bad number to follow in regards to price inflation. When they calculate the CPI they do not factor in food and energy prices, two of the things that have risen the most. So I would say if you don't purchase food or energy then the CPI would be a good measurement. Here is a better source to follow in my opinion: http://bpp.mit.edu/. It is a project developed by MIT that tracks to costs of billions of products that people buy everyday. And when I talk about inflation I am not talking rising prices, inflation is the expansion of the monetary supply, rising prices is a result of inflation. Houses have dropped so much because they are settling back to their true market value. The FED created a serious bubble in the housing market, and now that the bubble has burst the FED is trying to fix the problem again by inflating the monetary base, it is the only thing they know how to do. Now I am not saying hyperinflation is going to happen, but it could happen. And no I don't watch Glen Beck, I try not to watch the big corporate media too much. I don't find them very trust worthy. But there has been a good amount of price increases, mainly in food and gas with a lot of warnings from major retailers that prices will continue to rise. Believe what you want, I base my beliefs off of what I see around myself and the articles I read and just also to history of fiat currencies and what happens to them.

12. May 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    :anonymous:

contributed to the cause again today

13. May 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    :thumbsup:

I saw that nice little piece in the other thread. Details?

14. May 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II :) picked it up for under 5 bills

15. May 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Very nice :D

I was at my local gun shop and there was a guy wanting to order a kimber, they said it would take over a month to get any in once ordered...:eek:

16. May 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Palmetto State has a wide variety in stock and ready to go

this one is used and came with 3 holsters, 6 wilson mags, 2 kimber mags, and was more than half the price of a new one

17. May 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Winning!

18. May 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Sorry. Flame on if you will, but I find this to be very sad. What does this say about lack of trust, fear of others, and a lost sense of safety that we are arming ourselves to the teeth in this nation? When this sort of thing happens in other countries ... especially when it is combined with conspiratorial rhetoric, social science considers it a harbinger of civil war. That's exactly what happened in Rwanda and Yugoslavia to name just two. Is this where America is going? It most certainly could happen to us.

:crapstorm:

19. May 10, 2011 at 1:40 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I do find it sad that the politicians of this nation will run our country into the ground. I find it irresponsible to be unprepared to take care of my family and defend them if the need ever arises. I hope that you would are prepared to take care of yours as well and are not relying on the government to take care of you.

Im not really sure which direction you are heading with your comments, Bryan.

20. May 10, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I buy my guns because shooting is an enjoyable hobby for me and has little to do with anything political

Products Discussed in

To Top