Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Low-recoil Shotguns

Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
But..... how much accuracy do you need and at what distance?

What I mean is - if this is for self defense in your home - the longest distance is probably the length of a room or hallway. A handgun should be acccurate enough at that range.
But, with a shotgun you just have to point in the general area, and odds are you got a hit. A shotgun is the best home protection you can have.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #22
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
i personally have a mavrick model 88 same as a mossberg 500 mine is a pistol grip 12ga. "00buck is a bastard to shot i would say use number4 shot for in the house unless you like replacing alot of drywall " and also have my sub compact model 27 glock 40cal
ah good choices! i have a pistol grip moss500 and a g27 as well...along with a g22 and a benelli nova pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
Benelli makes a super shotgun for low recoil however they are a bit pricey. My wife bought one for me this past Christmas and it a dream to shoot. I have/had Browning A-5, Mossberg 500 series and Winchester 1100. and 870 but the Benell has ben the best by far.
i LOVE my benelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Gunner View Post
The brand of shotgun does not matter, the ammo and shotgun type does. I like and own a Remington 11-87 Special Purpose shotgun and I can shoot those Remington Copper Sabot Slugs through it all day long and not have to worry about going over to the next county to get my shoulder.

If you are looking for a "shotty" for home protection then you need to get a semi-auto loader like the 11-87, but if you want the pumper then go with the Benelli Nova its a pumper and a semi-auto in one gun. Also to reduce recoil use what they call tactical rounds, they are what a lot of PDs are using these days and you can get those at any local gun show or shop, maybe even Wal-mart has them.

Oh sorry I did not know that you were in Killifornia, so you might have to go over to Arizona or Nevada to get those shotgun shells
I personally think the brand DOES matter...i have both a mossberg 500 and a Benelli nova pump and the Nova kicks soo much less its incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
But, with a shotgun you just have to point in the general area, and odds are you got a hit. A shotgun is the best home protection you can have.
shotgun is pretty much point and shoot and the chances of you hitting something are better

For the typical person who doesnt have the time, or resources to go practice a lot...this is a good idea...

HOWEVER...if you have the time etc to go practice...i'd choose a handgun over a shotgun for HD any day of the week...

For example...i came home last week to my garage door open and the door to the house unlocked...because of that I decided the house would need clearing...if i was carrying a long gun, and someone had been in the house...theyd either see the gun poke around the corner and know im coming, or id have it up and not ready to shoot...with a handgun...i can keep it at a ready position and still have it close enough to me to not draw attention to me before i'm ready for the attention

I've only shot a handful of shotguns, mainly my Mossberg 500 pistol grip/adj stock/18.5" barrel...my Benelli Nova Pump with a 24" or so barrel, and a Mossberg 590 with a 14"ish barrel

The nova kicks an incredible amount LESS than either of the other 2...ive been told that barrel length has something to do with that...however...it still kicks less and Benellis can have weight added to the stock in order to eat more recoil and not kick as bad

Is teh Nova a bit more pricey? sure...but wouldnt you rather get exactly what you want and pay a bit more than to not be happy with your firearm that could potentially mean the difference between your familys life and death?

Maybe its a bit easier for me to say as I got my Benelli for free...but regardless...i'd rather spend an extra 100-200 bucks and get a firearm i'm ultimately comfortable shooting and happy with

With all of that said...i keep both my Glocks nearby and my shotgun is handy as well...My mossberg is "rack ready" with the following combination

00 rubber buck, some sort of field shot, 00 Buck, field, 00 buck etc till its full
Old 10-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #23
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
I have two Benelli's and I absolutely LOVE them. Great guns, light weight, never had a single problem or jam with either one.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #24
Flip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: STA Ponce De Leon
Name: Rusty Shackleford
Flip_Pallot's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta agree that brand of gun does matter, you get what you pay for. And as far as in home protection, the shotgun is second to none. Imagine at night if someone breaks in, you're half asleep, might not have your glassses on, gonna be dark, would you rather worry about aiming your handgun or have the ease of mind of having the shotgun to give you more spread
Old 10-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #25
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip_Pallot View Post
I gotta agree that brand of gun does matter, you get what you pay for. And as far as in home protection, the shotgun is second to none. Imagine at night if someone breaks in, you're half asleep, might not have your glassses on, gonna be dark, would you rather worry about aiming your handgun or have the ease of mind of having the shotgun to give you more spread
dark is my best friend...an intruder doesnt know where my junk is sitting...i do...i have nitesites on both my glocks as well
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #26
Flip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: STA Ponce De Leon
Name: Rusty Shackleford
Flip_Pallot's Tacoma Gallery
I have nightsights on my glock too, lol. I'm just saying it seems like they might not be the most experienced shooter, but I guess there is always practice. I love handguns, just make sure you know how to use it and use it well.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #27
shootermcgavinyo is on a distinguished road
shootermcgavinyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
if you want THE ULTIMATE in home protection you want both a pistol and shotgun...in one lol..... taurus JUDGE its a 410 shotgun revolver.... shotguns are too long and catch doorways or lamps or whatever else...and pistols aren't real accurate when your trying to shoot some pyscho thats comming at you.... trust me the judge is one hell of a good home defense gun IMHO

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Tauru...e/DSC00272.jpg
This is also another GREAT suggestion, especially the hammerless version.

Here's a video of it
http://www.taurususa.com/video/tauru...udge-video.cfm
Old 10-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #28
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i gotta say this.........a number of guns are good for home defense, but there is definitely no mistaken the racking of shells of a 12 gauge(or whatever gauge for that matter) in the dark!!! thats one sound that you automatically know what it is.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #29
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
yup i think it's about time i get a shotgun....hate to say it.

thanks for the reviews- are those mossbergs pretty easy to reconfigure or
are they pretty much as-is?
-like, how easy or universal to change out the stock, grip, etc....
Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #30
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombot View Post
yup i think it's about time i get a shotgun....hate to say it.

thanks for the reviews- are those mossbergs pretty easy to reconfigure or
are they pretty much as-is?
-like, how easy or universal to change out the stock, grip, etc....
yeah man, the mossbergs are real easy to convert. check this site out......alotta stuff you can get for a mossberg in there too, but its a really cool site......

http://www.blackhawk.com/
Old 10-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #31
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Look at calguns.net They are a great forum with California specific information (like a few of the mentioned guns are not legal to buy new here)

Getting a gun for defense means that your mom and whoever else uses it need to practice with it and especially you mom need to feel comfortable with it so she'll actually practice. If you get a shotty that hurts her to shoot she won't and then she won't feel confident using it when she needs to. I use a heavy steel frame star 9mm for home defense (brand out of business) It's heavy so recoil isn't bad (means that mom or anyone else in the family feels comfortable using it) And it I run out of ammo I have a 1-2 pound steel hammer to bludgeon with. Much better than a glock. Capacity isn't an issue in PRK, we only get 10 rds.

I suggest taking your mom to a gun store and have her try out the fit of several handguns and shotguns. Maybe get a 20 gauge for her. Have her shoot a few if you can (many ranges rent, or find a friend with guns who can help) Have your mom take a safety class where she'll learn how to use the gun corectly and hopefully learn what types of guns she feels comfortable using.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #32
VeeRFour05 is on a distinguished road
VeeRFour05's Tacoma Gallery
Mosberg 500 or Remington 870 express, both tried and true, pick the one you like better.

For home defense here is what a guy on my other forum said to use for a load, birdshot, buckshot, slug, in that order (load in reverse order) although the hope is that if someone does break into your house, they will run as soon as they hear you pump the gun.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #33
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
^^ I have the 500. Never had any problems with it. I keep a blank first in the hole. The idea here is that the pumping sound will scare people away, there's no mistaking it
Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #34
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 10-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #35
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

That's ridiculous. If you use a gun for self defense don't waste capacity with weak loads hoping the crook breaking into your home will retreat. You shoot to stop the threat. If slugs or 00 buckshot will stop the threat fastest use that. If you gun jams after the first shot do you think you'll be happy it was only bird shot? I recommend as big a caliber handgun as your mom can shoot comfortably 38spl or bigger, try for 45acp. And a shotgun with 00 buck or slugs, get a home defense model with extra capacity 7+1 is always better than 3+1.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #36
VeeRFour05 is on a distinguished road
VeeRFour05's Tacoma Gallery
The reasoning behind that load is this

Birdshot stuns them
Buckshot puts them down
Slug keeps them down
Old 10-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #37
╒╪╕

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
That's ridiculous. If you use a gun for self defense don't waste capacity with weak loads hoping the crook breaking into your home will retreat. You shoot to stop the threat. If slugs or 00 buckshot will stop the threat fastest use that. If you gun jams after the first shot do you think you'll be happy it was only bird shot? I recommend as big a caliber handgun as your mom can shoot comfortably 38spl or bigger, try for 45acp. And a shotgun with 00 buck or slugs, get a home defense model with extra capacity 7+1 is always better than 3+1.

unless you live on acreage and anticipate engaging assholes at distances beyond 25 yards, shotgun slugs are not a good choice for home defense, because of their enormous capability to over-penetrate a human body and common building materials.

info:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm
Old 10-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #38

everything overpenetrates common housing materials. Google box o truth. The guy does gun related myth busting. Buckshot stuns, buckshot puts them down, and even for good.

No round is a sure thing, practice and shot placement are more important. But no reason to use weak loads on purpose.

Knew a CHP officer, now diceased due to cancer. He pulled over a tweaker who in his speed induced state had cut off his privates. It took 4 officers to subdue him. Bet that guy lost it when he sobered up and realized he'd removed himself from the genepool.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #39
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

my 00 rubber buck doesnt overpenetrate

my shotgun of course is my last resort...id much rather put the intruder down with a round or 2 out of one of my glocks...

if all else fails maybe i can just taze him until the cops show up
Old 10-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #40
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
if all else fails maybe i can just taze him until the cops show up
LMAO!!!! Throw some duct tape on the trigger, and have your self a cup of coffee!

BUT.........ummm..............If an intruder breaks into your house, isnt a cop already there????