Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Low-recoil Shotguns

Old 10-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #41
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
LMAO!!!! Throw some duct tape on the trigger, and have your self a cup of coffee!

BUT.........ummm..............If an intruder breaks into your house, isnt a cop already there????
i dont live in my jurisdiction and as such...i have to call other cops...i can just detain or maim until they get there
Old 10-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #42
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
i have 2 berettas and 1 browning all semi-autos my fiance shoots all them all the time and shes only 115 lbs no prob puttin 75 rounds through them
Old 10-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #43
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
see the barrel thing is one reason i dont think a shotgun is the answer... the judge fires 410 shotgun ammo and trust me it will be more than enough to stun them long enough for you to pull trigger again... and its compact like a normal revolver
Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #44
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
i would like to see the box O truth vs. some of these:

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__21/Sp..._ammuniti.html
Old 10-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #45
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
i would like to see the box O truth vs. some of these:

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__21/Sp..._ammuniti.html
I think some of those will be added to my collection asap.

The .410 shooting revolver is nice. But it's not on the California approved list so getting one here is near impossible. The only way one gets here is if it was purchased before the "approved handgun list" or if you move to the state and sell a gun that you bought out of state which never happens because if you do move here you realize just how special all those "unsafe" handguns are. Kind of like why I really want an AK-47, because I can't have one...without doing a bunch of stuff to it.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #46
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeRFour05 View Post
The reasoning behind that load is this

Birdshot stuns them
Buckshot puts them down
Slug keeps them down
For home protection - it's KILL OR BE KILLED.

You shouldn't use it unless you absolutely have to.

Hollow points!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #47
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
But, with a shotgun you just have to point in the general area, and odds are you got a hit. A shotgun is the best home protection you can have.
Having a handgun up by your bedside for quick access in the middle of the night is best....you don't have time to fish for the shotgun & feed the ammo. Just slap in the mag, cock it, and you're ready.

Have a shotgun somewhere in the main living areas where you'll see trouble coming ahead of time (for the most part).

But whatever you chose - make sure you get it ready and make sure all family members know how to use it safely in an emergency situation.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #48
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
the problem with handguns in a house is that you have to worry about the bullets going through multiple walls.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #49
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I was thinking that too lsocoee, but lawnrevenge pointed out the "box o truth". Really the only thing that's not going to penetrate drywall is a BB gun. Weak shotgun loads will go through a couple walls. You just gotta make sure you don't miss i guess =)
Old 10-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #50
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Having a handgun up by your bedside for quick access in the middle of the night is best....you don't have time to fish for the shotgun & feed the ammo. Just slap in the mag, cock it, and you're ready.

Have a shotgun somewhere in the main living areas where you'll see trouble coming ahead of time (for the most part).

But whatever you chose - make sure you get it ready and make sure all family members know how to use it safely in an emergency situation.
fwiw

my shotgun stays rack ready...which means i grab it and rack it and its ready to roll

my glocks have a round in the chamber at all times

i want to waste no time if having to defend my life
Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #51
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
the problem with handguns in a house is that you have to worry about the bullets going through multiple walls.
To hell with the house!!!

Your life is worth a lot more than some spackle repairs, sanding, and paint.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #52
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
To hell with the house!!!

Your life is worth a lot more than some spackle repairs, sanding, and paint.
i gotta agree.......if someone breaks in and starts shooting.....i guarantee you they aint worried about putting holes in multiple walls.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #53
Debbo in UT is on a distinguished road
Debbo in UT's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know if any of you listen to Tom Gresham's Gun talk (radio program), he recommends a saw'd off (for mobility) 410 side by side for home defense. Reason being it probably won't penetrate walls and chances of you engaging a target at over 25ft are minimal for which a 410 will still put the hurt on any perp. Also he recommends .38 handgun with a laser, as lasers will improve your accuracy in low/no light and it serves to scare the hell out of intruder and you may not have to fire.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #54
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbo in UT View Post
Don't know if any of you listen to Tom Gresham's Gun talk (radio program), he recomends a saw'd off (for mobility) 410 side by side for home defense. Reason being it probably won't penetrate walls and chances of you engaging a target at over 25ft are minimal for which a 410 will still put the hurt on any perp. Also a .38 handgun with a laser, as lasers will improve your accuracy in low/no light and it serves to scare the hell out of intruder and you may not have to fire.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
another thing i wont use are lights and lasers

tactically speaking they give the bad guy a target

i'll stick to knowing my house in the dark and nite sites
Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #55
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
The point of penetrating walls is not that you will have holes in walls to repair, but accidental holes in loved ones. Frankly, that risk isn't enough for me to trade my guns in for swords. I recommend expanding full metal jacket rounds. They always mushroom on contact, unlike hollow points and feed better in more guns. expanding rounds will slow down more when they hit a wall, that can mean life or death for a bystander behind the wall. The expansion will create a bigger wound in a bad guy.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #56
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
The point of penetrating walls is not that you will have holes in walls to repair, but accidental holes in loved ones. Frankly, that risk isn't enough for me to trade my guns in for swords. I recommend expanding full metal jacket rounds. They always mushroom on contact, unlike hollow points and feed better in more guns. expanding rounds will slow down more when they hit a wall, that can mean life or death for a bystander behind the wall. The expansion will create a bigger wound in a bad guy.

Neat..never heard of 'em.

But in all seriousness.... If loved ones are involved in other rooms - perhaps you shouldn't be shooting at all unless point-blank range. Probably better off sitting in silence, letting him take whatever he wants so he'll get the hell outta the house sooner!!

Personally - Surely, I'll grab the gun and carry it with me but I'm gonna get my ass as far away from the criminal as possible. I'd jump out the window of my 2 story room and retreat to a neighbors house before putting myself in a potential death situation.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #57
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
The other thing we have to consider is that we are pretty much all gun junkies--therefore not your average bear. There is a certain psychological boost from a shotgun along with the lack of as much necessity of accuracy argument and the fear-inducing sound argument. His mom may just feel better with a shotgun. I know I do. If all else fails, you can also hit 'em with it from farther away.

That said--I loved my Mossberg 500.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #58
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

theres no doubt that i love my 500

some cheap 2-3/4 field shot shells + an old tin/wood barn

idea of distance
Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #59
uuc328 is on a distinguished road

uuc328's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by branct06 View Post
there isnt a better shotgun out there than the remington 870 12 ga, durable and reliable....
that's what i keep under my bed
Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #60
yodersr5 is on a distinguished road
yodersr5's Tacoma Gallery
Remington 1187 12 ga. has a gas chamber ,no kick ,,or very little at all.go to pawn shop alot cheaper.Mossberg 500 lol will tear your shoulder off then beat you with it ,,kicks like a mule. i have a mosburg 500 12ga. two remington expresses ,,12 ga. and 20 ga. all kicks,20 ga. not as bad as other 2 are ..the 1187 ,,,you can get all your money back on resale ,,,others,,,,dime a dozen,,,