Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Low-recoil Shotguns

Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
PhoenixCadet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PhoenixCadet
Low-recoil Shotguns

So - my mom and dad were having a discussion, and my mom's thinking about having us get some type of protection (with the way society is now, and all that crap). One question she had was regarding shotguns and recoil. Can anyone name a good-quality shotgun that doesn't have a crazy-ass amount of recoil? (I'm not too well versed in shotguns, so I couldn't answer this myself.)

Anyone know? (And just to restate, this would essentially be for home-defense; not hunting or anything of that sort.)
Old 10-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCadet View Post
So - my mom and dad were having a discussion, and my mom's thinking about having us get some type of protection (with the way society is now, and all that crap). One question she had was regarding shotguns and recoil. Can anyone name a good-quality shotgun that doesn't have a crazy-ass amount of recoil? (I'm not too well versed in shotguns, so I couldn't answer this myself.)

Anyone know? (And just to restate, this would essentially be for home-defense; not hunting or anything of that sort.)
mossberg 500 12 gauge .......nuff said. great price, low recoil, and you can outfit the relatively on the cheap for home defense.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
PhoenixCadet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PhoenixCadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
mossberg 500 12 gauge .......nuff said. great price, low recoil, and you can outfit the relatively on the cheap for home defense.
Nice. I'll have to look into that. Thanks man!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Nice. I'll have to look into that. Thanks man!
no prob man!!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
was about to recommend the same thing...
Make sure you get the home defense slugs also, serious knockdown power!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know much about that 12 gauge... I personally have a Remington 870 express and love it! Packs a good punch though...

But what I wanted to suggest if your mom was interested in being able to use it would be a possible 20 gauge? I don't know to much on those since I love 12 only but I would think the recoil would be a lot less with a smaller round. Just some food for thought.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
soulreaper is on a distinguished road
soulreaper's Tacoma Gallery
i personally have a mavrick model 88 same as a mossberg 500 mine is a pistol grip 12ga. "00buck is a bastard to shot i would say use number4 shot for in the house unless you like replacing alot of drywall " and also have my sub compact model 27 glock 40cal
Old 10-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
rwcfrank is a jewel in the roughrwcfrank is a jewel in the roughrwcfrank is a jewel in the rough
rwcfrank's Tacoma Gallery
Just use reduced recoil loads available at most gun shops. We use em in LE..
Old 10-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I was going to suggest 20 guage also. You can also get a telescopic stock, that helps
Old 10-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
i personally have a mavrick model 88 same as a mossberg 500 mine is a pistol grip 12ga. "00buck is a bastard to shot i would say use number4 shot for in the house unless you like replacing alot of drywall " and also have my sub compact model 27 glock 40cal
this is the same one i have.........black synthetic stock and all. i have the factory stock on it still...i use it for deer hunting and doves. great gun!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
better yet, if its just for home defense who cares about the recoil? that's going to be the last thing on your mind when someones comin thru your front door!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
Flip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: STA Ponce De Leon
Name: Rusty Shackleford
Flip_Pallot's Tacoma Gallery
Remington 870, tried and true, never fails. Most pump 12 gauges are gonna have a lil kick on the recoil. Semi-auto guns have much less recoil, but like some else said, just get reduced recoil loads or even reduced recoil pads for the stock.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
shootermcgavinyo is on a distinguished road
shootermcgavinyo's Tacoma Gallery
Mossberg 500 HS, just what you need.

http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...roductID=19757
Old 10-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah arent those home defense slugs like good for not going through walls and stuff??
Old 10-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #16
Beach Prerunner
TheOne is on a distinguished road

TheOne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Benelli makes a super shotgun for low recoil however they are a bit pricey. My wife bought one for me this past Christmas and it a dream to shoot. I have/had Browning A-5, Mossberg 500 series and Winchester 1100. and 870 but the Benell has ben the best by far.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
Tail Gunner is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Tail Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
The brand of shotgun does not matter, the ammo and shotgun type does. I like and own a Remington 11-87 Special Purpose shotgun and I can shoot those Remington Copper Sabot Slugs through it all day long and not have to worry about going over to the next county to get my shoulder.

If you are looking for a "shotty" for home protection then you need to get a semi-auto loader like the 11-87, but if you want the pumper then go with the Benelli Nova its a pumper and a semi-auto in one gun. Also to reduce recoil use what they call tactical rounds, they are what a lot of PDs are using these days and you can get those at any local gun show or shop, maybe even Wal-mart has them.

Oh sorry I did not know that you were in Killifornia, so you might have to go over to Arizona or Nevada to get those shotgun shells
Old 10-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you're looking for protection.... Get a handgun. Like a 9mm or something.

A shotgun is just so big to handle and not easy to react with in a serious situation. Besides that - harder to keep hidden. A handgun can be stored in a small place, easy to handle for quick response if needed. Easier to load in a hurry...etc.

But if you gotta get a shotgun - I personally have experience with a Remington 1187 12 gauge. Nice gun which uses the gas re-loading which helps elminate recoil (no pumping). Easy to load and very reliable.

I'd recommend going to a shooting range and/or gun club. There you'll find members who can school you on the different guns and even let you TRY OUT some of the stuff before you buy one. Look around for used guns at the shops..... used guns are very affordable and can be just as good reliable as the new ones.

And - once you get one - join a shooting club. Get out there and shoot with it. Learn how to use it affectively & safely. And maybe you'll find yourself into a new hobby, like trap & skeet. Both very fun hobbies!! You might as well USE the gun....versus letting it sit in a closet somewhere.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #19
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
if you want THE ULTIMATE in home protection you want both a pistol and shotgun...in one lol..... taurus JUDGE its a 410 shotgun revolver.... shotguns are too long and catch doorways or lamps or whatever else...and pistols aren't real accurate when your trying to shoot some pyscho thats comming at you.... trust me the judge is one hell of a good home defense gun IMHO

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Tauru...e/DSC00272.jpg
Old 10-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #20
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
...and pistols aren't real accurate when your trying to shoot some pyscho thats comming at you...
But..... how much accuracy do you need and at what distance?

What I mean is - if this is for self defense in your home - the longest distance is probably the length of a room or hallway. A handgun should be acccurate enough at that range.