Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What does exactly rimfire mean?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
What does exactly rimfire mean?

Question. Ruger 10/22 rimfire does that gun need some special ammunition or this takes regular 22LR ?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
If I recall correctly it's how the gun fires. The way it strikes the rounds casing. Instead of pin hitting in center it hit it on the rim. I may be way off. I'm sure if I am someone will correct me.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
22lr is a rimfire cartridge. Check a spent cartridge to see where the firing pin struck it.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v
ak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedak47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ak47's Tacoma Gallery
Nickalapos is correct. and no special ammo needed just regular .22lr
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Takes regular 22lr ammunition. The firing pin hits the shell on the rim not in the center like other ammunition. Look at an empty 22LR shell and you will see.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It just means the firing pin strikes the base of the round. You need rimfire ammo for a rimfire gun.

Rimfire left centerfire right.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timbo805's Tacoma Gallery
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+rimfire+mean+%3F
Old 05-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
excellent, Cabela's have Ruger rimfire for $200 I was wondering if that's special type of ammunition and maybe that is why is cheaper then the rest of the Rugers.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
excellent, Cabela's have Ruger rimfire for $200 I was wondering if that's special type of ammunition and maybe that is why is cheaper then the rest of the Rugers.
You can pick up a brick of ammo at Walmart for just over $20.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #10

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It just means the firing pin strikes the base of the round. You need rimfire ammo for a rimfire gun.

Rimfire left centerfire right.
Thats what I thought but I figure out I ask in case I am wrong
Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Rimfire is exactly what it sounds like - the rim of the shell casing is struck to ignite the powder to fire the projectile. Different in that centerfire ammunition uses a primer - primer is struck by the firing pin and the primer does the igniting of the powder.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #12

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You can pick up a brick of ammo at Walmart for just over $20.
Oh the gun is $200 , it comes with base plate and magazine. It was the cheapest one I could find that had lock for bolt. In shooting range over here they dont like guns that can not be locked. So that was the cheapest 22 with the lock.
But I wanted to make sure its nothing special before I buy it
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #13

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Also, never dry fire a rimfire gun. You'll damage the firing pin.
Is there a cut that allows pin to go to the side with out hitting metal? I remember I saw one gun that had that. Dont remember if that ruger had that. But I will keep int mind
Not to mention guy in store dry fired it few times
Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Oh the gun is $200 , it comes with base plate and magazine. It was the cheapest one I could find that had lock for bolt. In shooting range over here they dont like guns that can not be locked. So that was the cheapest 22 with the lock.
But I wanted to make sure its nothing special before I buy it
you can lock pretty much any gun with one of these
http://www.google.com/#q=trigger+loc...w=1259&bih=569

but the Ruger 10/22 is a very good gun. Ive had mine for 13 years or so and i love it!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #15

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Which 10/22 did you get? Just a basic wood stock and black barrel?
Did not got one yet because I was not sure about rimfire but will be goign to pick one up. Yes complete basic (wooden stock, cheapest one there is $200)
Old 05-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
thats what I started with and Ive changed stocks 3 or 4 times and sights a couple different times since ive had it
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #17

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
you can lock pretty much any gun with one of these
http://www.google.com/#q=trigger+loc...w=1259&bih=569

but the Ruger 10/22 is a very good gun. Ive had mine for 13 years or so and i love it!
Not that

That rugger has this extra safety switch that when you pull bolt you can lock it in place so chamber stays open. On the range they want you to do this when they switch targets so if gun does not have that future they usually throw people out.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I'd rather have one of these because you see it from a distance
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-769074

Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Name: Lee
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
All great information given.
Here's a site just for Rimfire firearms: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/
Mainly Ruger's but all brands are covered.
Have Fun and shoot straight and safe.

Yuma Taco,
Old 05-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #20

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I'd rather have one of these because you see it from a distance
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-769074

That is excellent I will probably order that too.
I looked for a gun that has the lock future for some time and the only ones I did see it, were the guns that were priced $400+. Oddly only Ruger makes them on all auto loader models. Mossberg, Remington, and Marlin does not.