1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inherited a Gem - I Think

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by knayrb, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Jul 9, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    knayrb

knayrb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Short story: My Grandpa had a 30-06 he never wanted to look at again. He showed me his other guns but would never show me this. The story goes that he has told my years ago: He bought the gun and took it deer hunting here in Utah back in about 1961 or around about. He stalked and shot a deer. The deer ran in back of a bush and came out the other side. My grandpa shot the deer again and it dropped on the spot. When it went to retrieve it he found he accidentally shot 2 deer. There was one behind the bush and another a few yards past. My grandpa was not a large man and the 30-06 recoiled to the point it really bruised his shoulder. I guess he didn't have the butt next to him. He was worried he was going to be caught shooting 2 deer, his shoulder hurt, and the gun recoil scared him bad. He came home and put the gun away and never picked it up again.

I told my mom to offer up to $300 because I didn't know the make and model and figured a $300 30-06 would still be either a deal or not much of a loss. My mom and her 2 sisters are fighting big time and my aunt had possession of the gun at her house until the estate was settled. She was not talking about what type it was and wouldn't know anyway. I was willing to take the chance. It turned out that my mom picked it up for $50. When she brought it over to my surprise it was a Remington 700 BDL 30-06, manufactured in Dec 1960, that looks like it came out of the box yesterday. Even the leather sling is still stiff and not broke it. The walnut stock is still as glossy as the day it was bought. It's 100% blued. Even the retro gun case is cool.

I'm going to put a nice Leupold scope on it and now I have my larger game hunting rifle. I'm pumped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jul 9, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    WOW! Nice Rifle!

3. Jul 9, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Take good care of it, man.

4. Jul 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Wow, congrats!

5. Jul 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    ohhhh shineyy :yay:

6. Jul 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    motorsport36

motorsport36 Black Lights Matter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Furnace, AZ
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 AC 4x4
    Quite nice!

7. Jul 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    that is a beauty!!

dont store that rifle in that gun case. you risk some rust issues, when gun cases like that get moist inside.

where did the scope go? grandpa went with the open sights?

8. Jul 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    knayrb

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    It's been in that case for 50 years already. I bought a hard case today because it protects better while traveling. Fortunately I live in one of the driest climates in the US and rust usually isn't a big issue here. It's usually about 5-10% humidity. I've examined the inside of the barrel and elsewhere and found zero rust. It was oiled but the oil is sticky. I'm going to break it all down tonight and do a complete clean and oil before shooting it.

Grandpa used only the iron sights. From what I've read, glass optics were not very good and expensive in the early 60's. I have an unused Nikon 3-9x40mm BCD Scope that I'm going to put on it to see if that works to my liking. It goes to an experienced gunsmith tomorrow to have it looked over and the scope mounted. I'll sight it in at 100 yards dead center.

9. Jul 11, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I have the same exact gun, but only in 243, bought mine by mowing lawns for two summers. I have shot 4 elk with my 243, and people say i am crazy for hunting elk with such small caliber. It really is not the gun it is always the shooter. If i can kill any animal with my bow, i sure as hell can do it with a 243!!
    Nice gun you inherited there!! Enjoy!

10. Jul 11, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    damn that gun is clean for being 50+ years old... sweet deal

11. Jul 11, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Says in the Wiki that they were not produced until 1962. May be newer than you think,
    what is the serial number?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_700

Edit:
    Your dates were generalized, please ignore me!!

12. Jul 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    knayrb

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    The barrel code is "XG". I know for a fact that it was used at about the same year my sister was born (1962). Check out this site to see the manufacture dates. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes I maybe wrong about it being a BDL. It doesn't say that anywhere. I'm assuming it is because it has sights on it. It is definitely a 700. The serial number is B6832XXX.

[​IMG]

You may be correct on the date. I'm just going off of what I can find on the internet. No way this was used after the early 60's. I'm not going to pay $40 to have it officially aged. I do know it was early 60's. If anyone has a value book I would we grateful if you could look it up for me. Thanks.

13. Jul 11, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i like my '06, 2" high at 100. just a personal preference. that way at 200 i have to just hold dead on. honestly, i havent shot a rifle in so many years, i should just shut up.

great rifle..i am jealous. i also like to take my rifle to a gunsmith to mount the scope. they have all the jigs and stuff to line up the two rings, so you dont crush a scope tube..seen it happen, it is UGLY.

if he wont boresight it, just remove the bolt and sight down the barrel. line up the scope, and your first shot will at least hit paper.

good luck!! i love it.

14. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Very nice!!

15. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    DOERanger

DOERanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport SB
    No Mudflaps, Fog lights on all the time, Map light/Dome light mod, Door sill protectors, In-channel window guards, Re-badged and sock-monkeyed,many more to come.
    :drool::drool::drool:

My god that is a beautiful rifle. My neighbor has an almost identical one around the same time and insists its at least an $800 rifle. I don't know if that is accurate, but I do know that yours and his have ivory and onyx in the black and white section.

16. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    damn dude, I'll say you just got a hell of a deal on that gun, i have one in 7mm-08

though mine isnt that old

if i were you , if there are any left i would be trying to get any of the other guns that are left if there are any left

oh, and it looks to me that you have a curved (crescent) but plate on the back of the rifle, though i can't tell for sure.
    if this is the case, I am 99% certain that if you want to put a recoil pad on it, you wont be able to because of it. i wasn't able to on mine and i had a good gunsmith trying
    unless you cut the stock flat in which case there is a very high chance that it will chip the finish

though if the guy above me knows what he is talking about with the ivory and onyx, i wouldnt cut it off because of that

17. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
  18. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    TheGrinch

TheGrinch Cheese Head.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    RP, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DCSB OffRoad on 33's
    6" procomp lift
    Beauty, what I suggest with what we did on the exact same gun from a buddy of my dads who needed quick cash, who we originally gave 300 but felt a lil bad so gave him 150 more cuz it was like yours mint, 30.06 700 bdl. My brother bought a new stock for it. If it has no digs or anything on the stock it'd be a smart idea to go composite, ad store the mint wood one in a gun sock with a lil bag of silicone (absorb any possible moisture) Keep the value. So when u want it to hand down or sell or u can throw it back on and have a beauty still. Especially if ur gonna be hunting hard. I'll post a pick of what ours now looks like in a second.

19. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    knayrb

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    That's an excellent idea. I want to shoot it but I want it to remain is excellent condition.

20. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    I say hide it for another 50 years and see what its worth then!

Products Discussed in

To Top