1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Using different arrows but same weight

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by takern, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I am going to buy a new bow tomorrow but i also need to buy some arrows. the ones i have now are like 99 bucks per dozen and i dont want to pay that much and i know there are a few cheaper options. As long as the arrow i get is the same length and same weight it shouldnt make too much of a difference, right? They will not be used in competition, i just need em close enough to kill deer at 30 yards. I never thought about this before because I started on some big ol easton aluminum arrows and had like 30 of em but then moved on to carbon and now I am down to 5 arrows.

In case it matters, i use radial x-weave 300 stl hunters. they are 8.6gpi and cut to 29.5 from nock to insert

So in theory, as long as the arrow I get is 8.6gpi and cut to 29.5 inches it should be close enough for a deer slinger, correct?

Thanks

2. Aug 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    you also need simliar stiffness arrows..but yeah if the specs are the same they are generally good to go.

3. Aug 1, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    kyle paulk

kyle paulk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    chatsworth ga
    Vehicle:
    t/x
    man i can understand not wantin to pay that much far a dozen theyll probaly shoot close to the same but if not just a few mins and a allen wrench and your back on target!!!!

4. Aug 1, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    GP100

GP100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    RI
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad
    I've shot two different brands of arrows cut to the same length and the same weight. POI was the same for both. If not, I would think it would be close.

5. Aug 2, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i kinda disagree. better arrows are consistent from one shaft to the next. you go to a less expensive arrow, and not only will they differ within the dozen, they will be differnent from your original dozen big time.

once i get a good arrow that matches a bow, i write everything down and will copy that recipe forever. i also buy two dozen at a time.

the above question is a moot point if the shooter is using a mechanical head. i can grab any arrow and shoot a field tip or mech into the same spot. mech heads hide a myriad of sins. :)

6. Aug 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    well i got close to same thing. same brand and same arrow size and weight just one step down in quality. instead of +/-.01 it is +/- .03. the new ones seem to impact about an inch left at 25 yards of where the other ones are at. close enough for me for deer slingers.

Oh, i ended up buying a diamond outlaw. that thing is sweet compared to my 5 year old pse nova.

7. Aug 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i had a PSE nova!! but it was OLD!! my brother gave it to a friend who proceeded to kill everything with that bow. what a killer! he outdid me with that thing.

1" at 25 yards is nothing. good job!!

8. Aug 3, 2011 at 5:00 AM
    kyle paulk

kyle paulk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    chatsworth ga
    Vehicle:
    t/x
    thats fine goin a grade down i would just have them cut your arrows from both ends...i was told by so folks in a state shoot that shot far goldtip that the goldtip rep told them ant no need in gettin the pros just get the hunters and cut off both ends and you will get the strightness your after!!

Products Discussed in

To Top