Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Ruger 10/22 Modders/Owners Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #581
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSeven View Post
So I've had my 10/22 for about 15 years. Put 10's of thousands of rounds through it since I was a kid, and now my son has been shooting at the range. Despite stripping and cleaning it, it's gotten to the point where it will not reliably cycle the bolt, regardless of mag brand (Even using the factory Ruger 10 rounders). The inside of the receiver has considerable wear, but the bolt itself cleans up like new.

What parts should I look at replacing first that are long over their life expectancy?
What's it not doing? Loading or extracting?

If its not extracting get a new extractor. Volquartsen makes a good one

If its not loading id get a new spring
Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #582
strip is a jewel in the roughstrip is a jewel in the roughstrip is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
strip's Tacoma Gallery
I assume you are using high velocity ammunition? no .22 auto will be reliable with match ammo. next, check the chamber. a burr from excessive dry firing will signifficantly slow down the bolt speed. also. be sure the chamber is clean. If you find that the chamber is dammaged, I have several factory take off barrels that have never been fired I can sell cheap.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #583
xA101x is a jewel in the roughxA101x is a jewel in the roughxA101x is a jewel in the rough
Name: AJ
xA101x's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up a brand new 10/22 this morning. And ordered a bunch of stuff for it this afternoon. I'll post up pictures as soon as it's all together.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #585
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Installed a KIDD charging handle, trigger spring kit, and Volquartsen mag release. Stripped the finish off the receiver and polished then clear coated it. Initially I took it to a very bright polish, but it stuck out to much against the scope mount and barrel. I took some scotch bright to it and gave it a more brushed, dull look to try to match those parts a bit more. How well it matches tends to depend on lighting. I'm not entirely worried about it, I just wanted it working for some ground squirrels this weekend.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #586
xA101x is a jewel in the roughxA101x is a jewel in the roughxA101x is a jewel in the rough
Name: AJ
xA101x's Tacoma Gallery
I just finally got the last of my parts in today. I'll post pictures ASAP. Parts list: volquartsen trigger assembly/trigger guard, Tactical Solutions bull barrel, Hogue stock, leupold scope w/ A.C.D / rings, bipod, and 5 more 10 round magazines with couplers.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #587
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking gun, Bobert

I need to upgrade my charging handle but im having a hard time finding one in stock that I like.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #588
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone having any luck finding 22lr ammo for good prices?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #589
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Anyone having any luck finding 22lr ammo for good prices?
You need to watch slickguns.com and gunbot.net for deals on ammo. I snagged 2100 rounds of Federal Champion in a nice ammo can for $120 yesterday.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #590
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
You need to watch slickguns.com and gunbot.net for deals on ammo. I snagged 2100 rounds of Federal Champion in a nice ammo can for $120 yesterday.
I've been watching gun bot but hadn't heard of slick guns. That's a real good deal
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #591
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #592
300rem7 will become famous soon enough

Navy: SSBN 738 (G) Missile Tech
300rem7's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced the factory barrel with an er shaw and now the extractor will not cycle the rounds.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #593
emeraldtriangle is on a distinguished road
emeraldtriangle's Tacoma Gallery
I adore mine ^_^
I haven't gotten anything special though for it, except for a bigger clip (not allowed in this state lol).

I also have an older (from the 80s I think) Ruger 22 pistol that I have a cylinder for magnum rounds for it.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #594
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300rem7 View Post
I replaced the factory barrel with an er shaw and now the extractor will not cycle the rounds.
Did you get it figured out?
is the extractor lined up with the slot in the barrel?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #595
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Here we go, I have had my 10/22 a few years now. All stock except for the simmons scope. I just ordered my first mods.
kidd auto bolt release
kidd bolt buffer
Set me back $19

Not quite sure what to do next? What are the must have mods?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #596
Racer X will become famous soon enough

Firefighter:
Racer X's Tacoma Gallery
Trigger job! The stock 10/22 trigger is around 8 lbs of pull. They are much better at 2.5 lbs. A friend of mind just had his done by Brimstone Gunsmithing and it came out real nice, and was only $70. You can get a drop in kit for about the same. Also, polishing all the internal parts of the bolt will make it much smoother. Look on YouTube, there are all kinds of how-to videos out there.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFast View Post
Here we go, I have had my 10/22 a few years now. All stock except for the simmons scope. I just ordered my first mods.
kidd auto bolt release
kidd bolt buffer
Set me back $19

Not quite sure what to do next? What are the must have mods?

Very nice. Ive been thinking about getting another 10/22 to keep a factory stock and barrel on and just doing internal upgrades on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Trigger job! The stock 10/22 trigger is around 8 lbs of pull. They are much better at 2.5 lbs. A friend of mind just had his done by Brimstone Gunsmithing and it came out real nice, and was only $70. You can get a drop in kit for about the same. Also, polishing all the internal parts of the bolt will make it much smoother. Look on YouTube, there are all kinds of how-to videos out there.

Nailed it. My grandad did a trigger job on mine years ago and its much smoother and lighter than factory.
For the bolt all you need is some steel wool and some time

as Racer said, just check out youtube and http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
for more help.

I would also do an upgraded extractor as well
http://www.hawktecharms.com/Volquart...-p/vc10eee.htm
Old 09-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #598
Racer X will become famous soon enough

Firefighter:
Racer X's Tacoma Gallery
^^ I put this exact extractor in mine too, easy to install and works beautifully.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #599
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I would like to put a lighter trigger on it. That will prob be my next mod. I've ran across a guy who does all the polishing and rounds off a part in the trigger and it's supposed to smooth things out. $70ish bucks.
I am a hands on guy but I really have minimal gun smithing knowledge. I'll DIY if I can though.
Thanks for the link! I've had a new pkg of steel wool under the sink for 3 years. Lol
Old 09-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #600
Snowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowbrdr1220 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snowbrdr1220's Tacoma Gallery
If your willing to spend $70ish on a trigger, might as well go all the way and spend $100 on the KIDD Trigger job kit. You can do it yourself and just drop the parts into your trigger housing. I have no gun smithing knowledge and was able to do mine in about a half hourwithout any trouble. It has a metal trigger that breaks like glass and is one of the best ones on the market:

http://www.coolguyguns.com/Ruger-10-...-kit_p_95.html

"In order to produce this fine of a break, we have affixed the hammer bushings and fitted a hammer pin. We have also assembled the sear, disconnect, and trigger blade for proper tuning and ease of assembly. When using our kit you must not mix and match our pieces with other aftermarket or OEM hammers, sears, disconnects, or trigger blades in order to achieve the clean break you desire. This entire kit will drop into your Ruger 10/22 plastic trigger guard well within 20 minutes from start to finish."

Products Discussed in this Thread