LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Ruger 10/22 Modders/Owners Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Ruger 10/22 Modders/Owners Thread

So, I bought a Ruger 10/22 yesterday and waiting for it to get out of jail. I have been reading a lot about them and the immense aftermarket for them. I sprung for the Target edition so hopefully it wont need massive upgrades. Maybe a different stock and some trigger work. lets see what everyone else has done to theirs. It's like the AR15 of .22lrs. I bought a 22 because I'm pretty new to guns and not really interested in huntting and more interested in target shooting. just a few times at the range with my old Marlin 60 in the past couple weeks and im happy i went this way. I was shooting 200-300 rounds in a trip to the range and the guys shooting bigger centerfire stuff would show up, shoot 20 rounds, and go home. I really just want to shoot a lot and not break the bank. I also picked up a Marlin 795 for the wife and a Browning Buckmark camper 22lr pistol, so that i can learn to shoot a pistol. I plan to get a bigger handgun later down the road. anyways.... this thread is about the 10/22 so lets talk about that one.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't everybody have a 10/22??

Here's mine:

Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking rifle above, whats inside? I've posted these before on TW some where but I'll whore them out again. I'll list details if there is any intrest.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger 10/22 Modders/Owners Thread-img_0714.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Iakopa84 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
Iakopa84's Tacoma Gallery
here's my 10/22
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Sweet 10/22s, I have already ordered a boyds SS Evolution Stock, extended magazine release, and the auto bolt release....
Old 08-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i think dad has one. and he has had it idk how long.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Rad Red Prerunner
eccracer104 has a spectacular aura abouteccracer104 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Mike
eccracer104's Tacoma Gallery
I have a lot to do to mine, all it has is an upgraded trigger and a basic scope. Good thing my brother is in school for gunsmithing and will be hooking it up big shortly down the road
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
jeff b has a spectacular aura aboutjeff b has a spectacular aura aboutjeff b has a spectacular aura about

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iakopa84 View Post
here's my 10/22
Flashlight to identify home invaders? Kidding! Nice, I been thinking about getting one.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
Sweet 10/22s, I have already ordered a boyds SS Evolution Stock, extended magazine release, and the auto bolt release....

If you haven't ordered, don't waste your money on the bolt release, you can mod the factory one very easy. Look over on rimfirecentrel.com to see how. Or PM me. I have extended mag releases on most of mine, love them for hunting, pain in the ass for shooting off a bag, they will drop the mag out when you least expect it..
Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, I bought a Ruger 10/22 yesterday and waiting for it to get out of jail. I have been reading a lot about them and the immense aftermarket for them. I sprung for the Target edition so hopefully it wont need massive upgrades. Maybe a different stock and some trigger work. lets see what everyone else has done to theirs. It's like the AR15 of .22lrs. I bought a 22 because I'm pretty new to guns and not really interested in huntting and more interested in target shooting. just a few times at the range with my old Marlin 60 in the past couple weeks and im happy i went this way. I was shooting 200-300 rounds in a trip to the range and the guys shooting bigger centerfire stuff would show up, shoot 20 rounds, and go home. I really just want to shoot a lot and not break the bank. I also picked up a Marlin 795 for the wife and a Browning Buckmark camper 22lr pistol, so that i can learn to shoot a pistol. I plan to get a bigger handgun later down the road. anyways.... this thread is about the 10/22 so lets talk about that one.
those are all great choices! i dont own a 10/22 but i have been thinking about picking one up if i found the right price. i gotta henry lever action .22 and a ruger mkIII and i love them! everytime i go to the range i usually bring 2 or 3 guns but i always bring a .22 and shoot 2 or 3 hundred rounds as well. 550 rounds for $15 cant go wrong. im a pretty shitty shot so its good cheap practice/FUN

you need to always be good with iron sights but when that gets a little old pick up a red dot(i got a cheap tasco for $30 at academy) well worth the money and its like a whole different gun
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
If you haven't ordered, don't waste your money on the bolt release, you can mod the factory one very easy. Look over on rimfirecentrel.com to see how. Or PM me. I have extended mag releases on most of mine, love them for hunting, pain in the ass for shooting off a bag, they will drop the mag out when you least expect it..
thanks for the info on the mag release... i think i will try it out and see how i like it. Is there anything else to do that is cheap for now. I think at some point i will probably send it off to the guy at CPC for some trigger work.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #12

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks for the info on the mag release... i think i will try it out and see how i like it. Is there anything else to do that is cheap for now. I think at some point i will probably send it off to the guy at CPC for some trigger work.

Randy is top notch, highly recommended. Go ahead and drop in a bolt buffer, it. Just softens up the shot, not recoil, mind you, just on the receiver (it's just a cheap alloy casting). You can do your own trigger work, but, be very CAREFUL!!! There are plenty of how to's over there. DON'T do it if you don't feel comfortable. Send your bolt to a guy named Que for some great work, the options are endless. Glad to help any way I can, PM me if needed...
Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Possibly going to buy one soon. I love them in general and have shot them multiple times. They're fun and ammo is cheap.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
Navy:
Quote:
Randy is top notch, highly recommended. Go ahead and drop in a bolt buffer, it. Just softens up the shot, not recoil, mind you, just on the receiver (it's just a cheap alloy casting). You can do your own trigger work, but, be very CAREFUL!!! There are plenty of how to's over there. DON'T do it if you don't feel comfortable. Send your bolt to a guy named Que for some great work, the options are endless. Glad to help any way I can, PM me if needed...
definitely not comfortable doing this kind of thing myself. I will probably want to get the new stock bedded too. how much do you think it normally costs to have this done by a professional?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #15

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Possibly going to buy one soon. I love them in general and have shot them multiple times. They're fun and ammo is cheap.
Yeah, bulk ammo is cheap. But one should try as many brands as you can find. Each and every gun will like something different. My target gun likes CCI green tags, $12.00-$13.00 per 100, my sporter likes Fiocchi sub-sonics (it's my squirrel gun), thumbhole is a .17M2 converted, likes Eley, the folder likes CCI mini mags, they all shoot well with the mini mags/Winchester power points, but again for best groups every one is different. My bolt gun likes $12.00 a box (50) Eley Tenex. Good .22 ammo is not cheap.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #17

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
definitely not comfortable doing this kind of thing myself. I will probably want to get the new stock bedded too. how much do you think it normally costs to have this done by a professional?

What are you planing to do with the rifle? A stock barrel without some work does not need bedded, full free-floated is much better in most apps. again you will not notice much defference with the stock pipe. Ammo will make a bigger diff than bedding. I've been scoffed at about this next statement, buy the very best glass you can afford, (assuming your going to scope it) spending at least what the gun costs, cheap scopes are just that, cheap...
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
Busting hymens since 2014
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b View Post
Flashlight to identify home invaders?

.22 Home defense, lol.

Man Shot in head with .22 doesn't notice for 5 years.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
Navy:
Quote:
What are you planing to do with the rifle? A stock barrel without some work does not need bedded, full free-floated is much better in most apps. again you will not notice much defference with the stock pipe. Ammo will make a bigger diff than bedding. I've been scoffed at about this next statement, buy the very best glass you can afford, (assuming your going to scope it) spending at least what the gun costs, cheap scopes are just that, cheap...
Well its not the bone stock barrel, I bought the target edition with the hammered bull barrel. I definitely plan to buy a decent scope, but not sure i want to spend more that $150 max... any suggestions? under $100 would best..
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #20

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well its not the bone stock barrel, I bought the target edition with the hammered bull barrel. I definitely plan to buy a decent scope, but not sure i want to spend more that $150 max... any suggestions? under $100 would best..
Again, what's the purpose of this gun, hunting/range? I promise you will get tired of carrying this fat barreled gun. But if so a lesser scope will do. Being a target gun, the barrel, you will want great glass, more than you have budgeted, wait, IIRC the HF pipes don't have any sights, correct? So you need something right?