1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

concealed carry

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Leggo, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Aug 14, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Answer me this. Would you rather go to prison for 3-10 years or 25-life with the possibility of the death penalty?

Criminals want easy money, the weapon they choose is to intimidate you. They don't usually want to kill anyone because it is a greater risk. If someone is robbing you, their adrenaline is already pumped up, now as you reach into your pocket to give them your wallet they see your gun, now their adrenaline SKYROCKETS and just out of fear they might pull the trigger.

Now if it is a maniac going on a shooting spree then yes he'll probably shoot you first, but think about this. Why do all the crazy shooting sprees happen at schools, post offices, and government buildings? One commonality of those places is it is illegal for you to carry a weapon there.

2. Aug 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    If I recall, there was a mass shooting at Ft. Hood, TX where there are lots of weapons.

There was also a mass shooting at a strip mall in Arizona where everyone carries a weapon.

Schools, Post Offices and Government buildings aren't chosen because of the ease of target. They are chosen because the gunman has a beef with whatever nutso thing is in his head, be it his employer, marital situation, social structure, government policy, etc. and those places just happen to be where he works, goes to school, and so on. Kleibold and Harris didn't shoot up Columbine because it was an "easy target." Cho didn't shoot up VT because it was an "easy target." People don't drive across town to shoot up the local post office. Their motivations are much more deeply seeded than the size of resistance force they will encounter.

3. Aug 15, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    WildWolfy

WildWolfy Assitant Trainer/ Supervisor

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Just South of Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 SR5
    Just Startin Stock TRD with Locking Rear and SR5 package
    FT. Hood shooting was where they were preparing for deployment, plenty of guns, no ammo... any military guy will tell you they are only in the same area when its time to shoot the guns. as for concealed carry, only carry if your ready to take a life, other wise, it can be used againts you.

The old proverb comes to mind, only carry a weapon you can keep your attacker from taking.

4. Aug 15, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    when i turn 21 and get my CWP/CCP i will carry allot. and and living in the grate state on TN if someone “brakes” in the house i have the right to shoot them. and as long as they “broke in” and i don’t shoot them as they are leaving the house. i can’t get in any real trouble. so yes if some brakes in and i fill threatened they will be dead or in critical!!

5. Aug 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    "Breaks" :p

6. Aug 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    Tackleberry

Tackleberry Rifleman not a cook, Appleseed program

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Shelton, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2011 DC long bed Mag Gray
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Toyota OEM Roof Rack, Console Vault, Weathertech floor liners, LUND bed extender, Gauge pod, Outside Temp, Enviro gauge, Maglite mount, J-hooks for scope stand, MetalMiller's Devil Horns, AVID Light Bar and Side Steps, Pop-N-Lock, Westin Driving lights, Hella 500 Off Road lights, Tacoma Bed Liner, Door Trim Guards, LED dome, map and plate lights
    2X
    I would still rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
    Even at 100% right some one will take you to court.

7. Aug 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    jcgarvey

jcgarvey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SFV, Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    V6 PreRunner 4x2 TRD Off Road
    Just remember dead men can't speak. Live ones can sue! Happens all too often that someone is shot when breaking into another persons house, survives then sues the home owner and wins.

8. Aug 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah i know. both my brothers one a cop and one in 3rd year of law school. told me stuff that could make or brake a case so to speak.

i know some states, there is a law that you have to LEAVE YOU’R home. and let the bad guy stay.

9. Aug 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    I'm well aware of the ammunition procedures on base. That wasn't the point. Besides, there is still far more armed security personnel and faster response time at Ft. Hood than say Virginia Tech.

The point of the post was that mass shooters do not choose their targets based upon how "soft" they are. (In the case of full disclosure, the Ft. Hood shooting is probably the worst example to back up my case, since Hassan attacked the Soldier Readiness Center [mainly offices] -- although he did target uniformed personnel as opposed to indiscriminate firing). In most cases, mass shooters choose their targets based upon a revenge scenario. Burglars and robbers are more likely to choose targets based upon their level of security.

But I agree with you on the possibility that a weapon can be used against you -- which is something many people forget or feel they are immune to.

10. Aug 16, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    haha. yeah i know.

but say i was working in garage and some one came running at me with a bat,knife or something els that could harm me. and i had a gun on me i would draw and tell them to stop or i shoot. and if they still coming after me. yeah i’m going to shoot. mom and dads house is on a hill with i’d say around a 250 foot drive way. so if some one just walks up there with a bad. “MOST LIKELY” they are going to be there to do harm to something or someone. now if it was the same thing was to occur but in a neighborhood that only 4 cars could fit in drive way. in the 3 1/2 years we have been in this house we have only had like 3 or 4 people other than 2 cops(they wear serving the previous owner) and ups/fedex and mail guys and a guy to cut some trees. we have had like 4 people looking for a lost dog. i have seen many people turn around at the bottom of drive way but never just come to the top of drive way.

11. Aug 16, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    Xshark

Xshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    "Castle Doctrine"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

"designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place (his "castle"), and any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable homicide under the Castle Doctrine."

States with Castle Doctrine:
    Alabama,[9] Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,[10] South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah,[11] West Virginia and Wyoming have adopted Castle Doctrine statutes, and other states (Montana, Nebraska,[12] New Hampshire, and Washington) are currently considering "Stand Your Ground" laws of their own.

Several other states have a very similar law, but with different provisions.

12. Aug 16, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    WildWolfy

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Just South of Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 SR5
    sounds like california... leaving your house, pfft. I like how * californian* judge awarded a intruder damages when he cut himself on the homeowners window that he broke....... I cant wait for the ocean to swell up!

13. Aug 16, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    ok maybe there is not laws that you have to leave. but some states you have to take like 3 steps of action BEFORE you can even use deadly force. what i was getting at is. in TN you don’t have 2 or 3 steps of action before you can use deadly force. i already kinda have a plain of action in my head as to what i will do if someone was to brake in or try causing bodily harm to me or my family. and i would rather face 12 than by carried by 6. if it means i protected my self and or family or a friend.
    WTF?? now that is so fuckin messed up. and that is one reason why i will never live in cali.

14. Aug 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Lots of food for thought here.

15. Aug 17, 2011 at 2:31 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I probably carry a gun more than most of you...and I spend a lot of time passing thru or in less than desirable places

I think there are a handful of times where open carry can serve a purpose...but in a crowded restaurant/gas station etc is not it (IMO)

I far prefer concealed carry in almost ALL cases

Of course if you draw you better damn well better be ready to kill a human being

Carrying concealed WILL slow your draw, and you best be paying damn close attention to your surroundings...if you dont, the creepy guy with the knife will be all up in your personal bubble before you know wtf is going on...and guess what? Within 30 ft...you MAY be able to draw before he gets to you, but it's unlikely you'll be able to get a shot off...I can BARELY draw and fire a shot from the hip on target when in uniform...and i'm not slow

As far as ifs, ands, or buts...theres absolutely no way to plan for every possible attack and the proper way to handle them

Bottom line is that you better be damn sure you can articulate why you felt you or someone near you were in danger of death or great bodily harm

You should also do some research into attorneys...as much as I hate them...you need to have one that you can contact IMMEDIATELY

My department's investigators are pretty damn good, but when you are dealing with a shooting incident, and most likely, a barrage of civil suits, everything that comes out of your mouth better be dead on the money

I'm a huge fan of protecting yourself, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE when they tone out a burglary or armed robbery, and end with "be advised suspect is still on scene and has been shot" BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be smart about it

16. Aug 17, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    Anybody have any factual info on this case- like the case #, judge's name, etc.? Not saying I call bullshit on this- but just cuz they tell this story in "Liar Liar" doesn't mean it really happenned.

Here in Florida, I'd shoot the mofo and then sue him for breaking my window, and for the emotional pain and suffering he caused me- and I'd probably win :D

The '3 step rule' is a myth in most states. No such thing actually exists.

In almost every place in the US you have the right to take a life if it is you or them- and if you're behavior (ie: not running away or getting out of your house, etc.) violates the law(s) of your state, you can claim exisgent circumstances, do interviews on Fox News, and have your lawyer threaten to take the case to the Supreme Court, etc. and you will not convicted of anything- I guarentee it.

^ Depending on where you live, if you are ever in a situation where you shoot someone, I would advise you to tell the police officer/deputy/decetive something along the lines of "I was in fear for my life (and that of my wife/husband/son/daughter/etc.) and I thought he was going to kill me. I don't want to be un-cooperative, but I'm very stressed out and that is all I feel comfortable saying without speaking to a lawyer first." Then you shut up.

17. Aug 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    good addition :thumbsup:

18. Aug 17, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    jcgarvey

jcgarvey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SFV, Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    V6 PreRunner 4x2 TRD Off Road
    Anybody have any factual info on this case- like the case #, judge's name, etc.? Not saying I call bullshit on this- but just cuz they tell this story in "Liar Liar" doesn't mean it really happenned.

There are multiple cases in CA that show just how screwed the system is here. One where a burger broke through a skylight and fell on a knife that was on the butcher block, he sued and won. My home town someone was snoring too loud and got a ticket that stood up in court... I could go on but its pointless.

19. Aug 18, 2011 at 2:46 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup

And back we come to the fictional case of the burglar and the skylight. In absence of any factual info provided by the members who threw that 'case' out here, I did my own research- it never happened. The story you are hearing was made up.

The real case from which that bullshit story arose happened when a high school student fell was tresspassing at his school at night, and while on the roof, he fell through a skylight and became paralyzed (no butcher knife of butcher block, sorry).

He did sue, and indeed won a judgement, but the circumstances of the case are FAR different than if this had happened during a home burglary. He won due to the fact that the school is not private property and (his lawyer claimed) that the school had a responsibility to have signs advising that the roof had skylights that weren't safe to walk on.

This would never happen to you or anyone if someone got hurt breaking in to your home.

If you're gunna use annecdotal evidence to support your argument, at least make sure that your story is true

http://overlawyered.com/2006/09/the-burglar-and-the-skylight-another-debunking-that-isnt/

20. Aug 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    WildWolfy

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Just South of Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 SR5
    Well, honestly, I could care less what you find on the net to make a statement fictional, or Fact for that matter. Its to hard to prove where there info came from. I heard that story from some cops I was hanging around prior to a House raid ( I train Bomb and Drug K-9's), where they got the info, I am not sure. Sorry for the confusion, and I hope somepeople did not loose sleep :D

Products Discussed in

To Top