1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

concealed carry

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Leggo, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Aug 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    Leggo

Leggo [OP] slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I am very curious how many people who carry a weapon daily have actually ever used it by firing a round or two in self defense? I am constantly flipping back and fourth between carrying a pistol and not carrying a pistol. I have a disability that keeps me from being able to run away or stay and fight effectively (MS). At the same time I am nervous about having a false courage simply because I am carrying. I worry that I will not let a situation pass because I have a gun on me. Any help is appreciated

2. Aug 8, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
    But if you question you're own judgement then you probably shouldn't do it.
    I am not allowed to have a firearm on the premises at work, so I don't carry all the time, but I keep one in the vehicle anytime I am travelling or away from work for several days.
    I would never draw on anyone unless I was absolutely certain I had no choice. Even if you are 100% right to shoot, you will be probably be facing civil suits for years.

EDIT: If you are really thinking about it, this is the best book I have ever read on the subject. Might be worth your time to give it a read:
    http://www.amazon.com/Concealed-Handgun-Manual-Choose-Defense/dp/0965678423

3. Aug 8, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    people seem to view but not comment. I am taking that to say they never used a gun for protection.

4. Aug 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    ive never used my gun for protection but around where i live, its almost stupid not to have one, legally or illegally! I keep mine on me as much as possible and where i feel i need to i dont hide it either! Sounds stupid but most of tha dumb fucks around here think you are a cop if you have a gun on your side and if that helps keep them from fucking with me then its all good! I would say exactly what horwitzs said "better to have it and not need it"

You never know!

5. Aug 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Sheriffs in many rural, remote jurisdictions will allow you to carry without making a big deal about it. Just place your weapon in open view if you are pulled over.

6. Aug 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    Horwitzs said it best. You have to be absolutely sure that there is nothing you could have done to protect yourself, or life in general. I would also firmly be aware of the NRA's 4th, somewhat unwritten law of gun use: Know your target and what is beyond it.

And keep in mind, one story is better than 2. Get yourself a lawyer who has someone on call 24/7. A lot of things look open and shut but it isn't always the case. My CCW instructor was a cop and gave us a story of a woman who was making a night drop at a bank when a guy came up behind her and menaced her with a knife. She drew and he ran with no shots fired.

This was the day before cell phones so she drove home to call her husband and then the police. The man ran to a gas station and called 9-11 that a woman threatened him with a gun. The call was radioed to a 22 year old green deputy who just saw the car with the description drive by. Eventually, it was all sorted out but it all depends who shows up to the incident that you're involved in.

"I was afraid for my (their) life and I felt I had no choice. I need to speak with my lawyer"

7. Aug 8, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I live in California, nuff said :mad:

8. Aug 8, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I personally don't carry, 6'1" 220lbs not an easy target, my buddy I fly rc helicopters with has an 08' sport taco, he packs a .40 always. :D

9. Aug 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    JonJonXD

JonJonXD Active Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 V6
    You're foolish if you think your size means anything
    in an attack. Disparity of force my friend

I carry everyday.

10. Aug 8, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I appriciate your concern, I will be ok. :thumbsup:

11. Aug 8, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    719bloodhound

719bloodhound Well-Known Member

Member:
    cos
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    Omd rear leafs Ome 886 up front
    I live on colorado I have carried everyday for nine years never had to use it but it would sure suck not to have it on me and need it.
    if you really want to carry take all the classes you can get, a lot of trigger time in and only use it if it is the last line of defense like the last last line of defense

12. Aug 8, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    It all sounds to me like it is not so safe in other parts of the country.I feel lucky in some ways.

13. Aug 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    719bloodhound

719bloodhound Well-Known Member

Member:
    cos
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    Omd rear leafs Ome 886 up front
    its not to bad here but you never know when some jack wagon will kill you over ten dollars to buy some meth

14. Aug 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    or the next time you are in a situation where someone elses life is being threatened. Guy I work with's sister lives in TN and she was in the receiving line at golden corral or something when 3 dudes with ski masks on came barrelling in the door up to the front register station, guns pointing and all.

One of the patrons was carrying and was a former cop. 20 seconds later, 2 of them were dead and one was in critical. None of the patrons or staff were hurt. The 3rd is being charged for the manslaughter of his buddies. I dont know how anyone else feels but I would have no problems protecting my fellow man - again, if there was nothing else i could have done and life depended on it.

15. Aug 9, 2011 at 1:31 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    I'm more an advocate of open carry. If you question whether you would back down because you have a hidden gun and know you'll get the jump on you then concealed is not for you in my opinion. Open carry lets them KNOW you have a gun and has for me settled things down without a word being said. I stop people from dumping in the dumpster behind my house a few times a week. Every once in a while I get one that thinks he will intimidate me into turning around and walking away, Then they see the 1911 on my hip. EVERY time they see it their attitude does a 180.

If you question your own judgement, allow the bad guys to use their own. Even criminals have self preservation and will use it when choosing a victim, and will 99.99% of the time avoid the guy that SHOWS he can kill them.

16. Aug 9, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I've never fired a gun in self defense and I hope I never have to but there are a few times where it has come in handy (2 times in or near my home).

If you are going to carry sometimes you may as well carry all the time. Better to have and not need than need and not have. Is there a range near you where you can practice and get some tips from a professional?

17. Aug 9, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    My range is my front yard.......rural. No one within miles. Scared away a black bear Saturday with a few .38 rounds into the ground.

18. Aug 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Sorry, my post was directed at the OP.

19. Aug 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I cant carry on base but I do carry everywhere else. Ive never had to use it but I can say that it does make me feel even more aware of my surroundings.

20. Aug 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    If I leave the house I have either a sig 239 .40 or a 1911 .45 with me at all times. I have never pulled a gun but I have had a gun pulled on me in my front yard by an off duty drunk Swat Officer after he kick my door DOWN. Never meet the man before my door came down. After court I told my Police Officer friends that no one would ever kick my door in again and walk away................................

Products Discussed in

To Top