Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

home brew scent cover

Old 10-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
home brew scent cover

made this stuff last year, when the acorns started falling, and it works really well(just didnt think about posting it). when i get done with my morning hunt tomorrow, i'll be making this again.

all you do is collect about a pound of acorns. use a pair of pliers to crack the shells. get a pot and fill it with the acorns, then fill the pot with water. boil the acorns for about 10 minutes. get a plastic spray bottle(i got a few small ones, and i kept some old scent killer bottles) and strain the acorn liquid into the bottle, and you are ready to use. when i did this last year, i filled my bottle and used it twice. on my next hunt, i left the bottle there, since i was coming back to hunt that afternoon. when i got back..........squirrels had chewed thru the bottle...torn the whole damn bottom of it off trying to get to them acorns. its good and works, and its cheap to do....alot cheaper than most of the store bought stuff.

for another scent cover.....get some cedar shavings, some small pine cones, some different grass and some dirt from your hunting area. do it the same way as you did the acorns, and strain it into a bottle. it makes you smell like your area you hunt, and thats always good. hope this helps some of ya'll out and saves $$ from having to buy as much scent killer or similar stuff.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
dang will your making me hungry. This time of year I usually wake up in the middle of the night in the front yard with acorns lodged in my throat. My neck also starts to swell real bad. No hair on my head either cause I rubbed it off on the sappling in the front yard. Not to mention peeing on my back legs tends to cause problems too. must be buck fever!

Seriously though......great ideas man!
And if anyone can't relate, then get out of the hunting section.....hehe
Old 10-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
dang will your making me hungry. This time of year I usually wake up in the middle of the night in the front yard with acorns lodged in my throat. My neck also starts to swell real bad. No hair on my head either cause I rubbed it off on the sappling in the front yard. Not to mention peeing on my back legs tends to cause problems too. must be buck fever!

Seriously though......great ideas man!
And if anyone can't relate, then get out of the hunting section.....hehe
yeah man.......my poop is little brown pellets and for some reason, there is salt all over the kitchen floor and bare spots on the carpet!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #5

on the serious side, this stuff actually does work, and makes you kinda "invisible"
to deer so to speak.

if anyone tries it out, let me know what ya'll think of it.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.
mudduck will become famous soon enough

mudduck's Tacoma Gallery
will, thats an awesome idea. i'm gonna try to make some tommarow! thanks
Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
will, thats an awesome idea. i'm gonna try to make some tommarow! thanks
let me know what you think bro!!! i made the cover scent with the grass/dirt/ cedar and all to spray on my clothes, and the acorn spray for my boots.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Dam. I dont think we have Acorns in Az.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
im gonna mention this to my buddy. hes having a frustrating bow season right now.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Dam. I dont think we have Acorns in Az.
well.....you hunt 1000 yards away....you dont need any scent cover!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
im gonna mention this to my buddy. hes having a frustrating bow season right now.
same here man....especially after my fine last night!!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
well.....you hunt 1000 yards away....you dont need any scent cover!!!
LMAO!!
Well, it was 1000 FEET, but I like the sound of 1000 YARDS
Old 10-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
LMAO!!
Well, it was 1000 FEET, but I like the sound of 1000 YARDS
dammit......i meant 1000 feet.......i did it again!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckinsc View Post
tell me this will, does it camo you from game wardens? or can they smell you too? cause if so, we should have had some saturday night!
nah man....they got noses like a bloodhound....no hiding from them!!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
hey tried your idea, but used leaves, dirt, and some small branches and a few acorns and hickory nuts. I used one of those small croc pots,
smelled the house up nice, kind of outdoors like, not the girlie smell.
Going to give it a shot in a few days so willl let you know.
good deal man....and yeah, bet the house smelled nice!!