Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Treestand Advice

Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Treestand Advice

I'm trying to research a treestand to buy. I have an order one, but it's time to upgrade.

Summit Viper, Summit Golith, or Lone Wolf Alpha are the ones that I've narrowed down to. Thoughts? Any other suggestions? If it helps, I'm 6'1" and 240lbs.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
I have the "Equalizer" and let me tell you, you can't go wrong with it.
https://www.equalizertreestands.com/index.php
Old 10-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
you aint gonna go wrong with either summit or lone wolf. both make some awesome,sturdy stands.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Ride On
JM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
JM76's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of budget are you looking at? Summit and lone wolf are great, but a bit high dollar, but alas, you get what you pay for right? I had a summit and liked it. It was lightweight and easy to use, and very comfortable.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckinsc View Post
what kind of budget are you looking at? Summit and lone wolf are great, but a bit high dollar, but alas, you get what you pay for right? I had a summit and liked it. It was lightweight and easy to use, and very comfortable.
I'm the type of person that want it done right the first time, so within reason cost isn't an issue.

Anybody out there have a Lone wolf? My friend has a summit, loves it, and that's what I'm leaning towards. I really like the lone wolf, but it lacks a front bar which could be good and bad.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
I've 4 or 5 different stands. Hands down the LW is the best. They might cost a bit more but worth every penny. Their climbing steps are also top notch.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Well I can't say anything about LW, never tried or sat in one. I personally like the bar idea, true it may have some draw backs, but like everything if you think about it the uses are endless.
On that note, I purchased some camo fabric/netting, added vercro, and made a little semi blind around the sit/leg area. I have some joint issues, so I need to move my feet and legs more than a younger person. So with this I am not seen.
Plus on some cold mornings when the wind is blowing a bit, it breaks the chill.
I also like it because it saved my butt a couple of times, but then again this is me.
What ever you feel safe and comfortable in......go for it.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
I've 4 or 5 different stands. Hands down the LW is the best. They might cost a bit more but worth every penny. Their climbing steps are also top notch.
Do you have the Alpha sit & climb? How do they compare to summits? Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #11
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my summit viper ss last week and used it for the first time this week.

I just bought my summit viper ss last week and used it for the first time this week. I love it. You mentioned the goliath, I might be wrong but i think it is just a larger version of a viper.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
05DoubleTaco is on a distinguished road

05DoubleTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Summit Viperwhatever

It's light, comfortable, and safe. Climbs fast and quiet!

Couldn't ask for anything more??!!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

im gonna look into a new climber for next year. i like the summits and the lone wolfs, but dicks sporting goods has some nice ones on sale now too. i think they are field and stream stands, but they are pretty nice too. its gonna be a hard decision, cause it'll probably be the last one i buy for a good while. im also gonna get some ladder stands for next year too.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Since the title is treestand advice, like to insert this. Don't forget about the Loggy Bayous'. Been a pretty die hard fan I guess. Although I am only on my second climber in 16 years. Like you Will, I don't buy something like this very often. Especially if I get something I like real well.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
I just got out of my climber (forgot the brand, will find out) Its been like 3 years since I have used it, MAN OH MAN was it spooky getting back up that high again!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
I just got out of my climber (forgot the brand, will find out) Its been like 3 years since I have used it, MAN OH MAN was it spooky getting back up that high again!!!
haha....i thought i was the only one!!! hell.....i used to climb up 30 to 40 feet and sit without a care(or a harness....i know....dumb idea) when i was younger. and nowadays.........i'll get up to about 15 to 20 ft and i start thinking about it. damn old age!! i seriously gotta get me a saftey harness soon........they work!!(and the way i tend to fall asleep in the trees......i definitely need one)!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #17
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
haha....i thought i was the only one!!! hell.....i used to climb up 30 to 40 feet and sit without a care(or a harness....i know....dumb idea) when i was younger. and nowadays.........i'll get up to about 15 to 20 ft and i start thinking about it. damn old age!! i seriously gotta get me a saftey harness soon........they work!!(and the way i tend to fall asleep in the trees......i definitely need one)!
Safety harness makes the naps even better......spend the money Will and get one of those Hunters Safety System vests. Thats what I'd like to have...........I always say, never see any deer waking up from a nap at home.......
Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #18
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
Yea I used to always sit about 40ft up. But I was in a oak bottom today so I was only about 15ft up. But it had me freaked out, no way I coulda fell asleep!! haha

But yea, the older you get the more you think about how bad it would hurt if you were to fall

And Ive never used a harness either, but it would be HARD to fall of of this climber. You would actually have to try lol
Old 11-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
Safety harness makes the naps even better......spend the money Will and get one of those Hunters Safety System vests. Thats what I'd like to have...........I always say, never see any deer waking up from a nap at home.......
definitely getting one soon. i saw some at walmart..the vest type, for right about $75 or so.....and that aint too bad a price for saftey. i have a safety harness that came with my gorilla wolverine climber(from walmart), bu that damn thing is too aggravating to figure out and put on...........and the vest type look really easy to use.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
Yea I used to always sit about 40ft up. But I was in a oak bottom today so I was only about 15ft up. But it had me freaked out, no way I coulda fell asleep!! haha

But yea, the older you get the more you think about how bad it would hurt if you were to fall

And Ive never used a harness either, but it would be HARD to fall of of this climber. You would actually have to try lol
yeah, the climber i use would be hard to fall otu of, but with my luck.....it'd would happen sure as shit! and the height i go up in the trees i use.....doesnt seem that high, but when you look down the side of the hill.....its a pretty good drop........and that sudden stop at the bottom wouldnt be too nice!!