1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shot a Deer and cant find blood trail?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by JJ5685, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    JJ5685

JJ5685 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road v6 sr5 4X4
    pioneer stereo, 10" rockford fosgate punchgate sub, custom box, bull bar, custom trd decals
    Well I've looked for hours and can't find a drop of blood. I went down every outlet of the corn field where I seen him run out. And looked probly 200 yards beyond the corn field. Beyond that is thick brush and I can't see any paths going in to it. I did find a horn from a 8 pointer, sombody must have dropped it. And found a arrow from last summer when my d loop broke and my arrow went flying up in the air and my hand came back and hit me in the face.lol

2. Oct 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    THIS,,,,Jim[​IMG]

3. Oct 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift

Shot a doe last year with my muzzloader. Dropped her where she stood. She was still alive, though. Tried to get up and run, couldn't do it. Just laid there and started screaming. I tried to let her bleed out. After 10 mins of waiting, I got down and shot her point blank in the back of the head. Only time I've ever felt bad about killing an animal.

4. Oct 8, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    niit_train

niit_train Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    No mods, just extra accessories. Realtree bug shield, vent visors, and a custom Realtree Hunter 4X4 Bully
    All of the above is great advice to track a deer. Although I didn't read every single word of it, something that I did not see mentioned was an available water source. If there is a pond, stream, river....anything with water, go look there. It is a deer's natural sense to gather water to replenish from something that wears them down.

A good friend shot a decent 8 point when we were 15 or 16. He had a good hit, and at 50 yards away, I heard the hit from the old bear bow. I walked back to him, and we found blood. I tracked to the edge of a thicket, then stripped down to a t-shirt and pants. I was in the middle of the thicket on my hands and knees, when I remembered that there was a water trough nearby. I yelled to my buddy to walk down and check the area, and low and behold, the buck was laying in the open within 5 feet of the water.

It is hard to give up on an animal, but when all methods have been exhausted, you just need to chalk it up as a loss. If you do not know the area well, pull it up on Google Earth, and look for a water source. Even if it is a mile away, it may be worth checking. Hope this helps!!!

NT

5. Oct 8, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    You may have missed

6. Oct 9, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    JJ5685

JJ5685 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road v6 sr5 4X4
    pioneer stereo, 10" rockford fosgate punchgate sub, custom box, bull bar, custom trd decals
    Im 100% positive I hit it. I seen it hit at 35 yards and then I seen him run of with my arrow:p

Products Discussed in

To Top