Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

who has a RIA 1911

Old 10-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #21
o5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant futureo5iiawah has a brilliant future
Name: Tim
o5iiawah's Tacoma Gallery
for as much as people like to dog Taurus Pistols, i've put about 700 rounds through my 1911 with no misfires or FTEs. Time will tell but my friend's Kimber is just as old and has a miss or FTE about 1/150-200 rounds
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
bump, cause im interested, i cant find ria's website just armscor.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #23
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Armscor is RIA.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #24
RollTideRN is on a distinguished road
Army: MP Corrections (VETERAN)
Name: Barrett
RollTideRN's Tacoma Gallery
http://slickguns.com/

they had that gun on her ethe other day
Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #25
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Funny how a 100 year old design has become so popular again. But then, I guess it never really went out of favor, for people who shoot a lot. There's such a wide disparity in pricing, from the $400 RIA to the $4000 factory "customs" that it is a little confusing. My take, after having owned several Springfields and more than a few Kimbers, is that if you shoot a lot (200 rounds a month or more) you probably want to go with the higher end pistols just for the service life.
I used a Kimber Gold Combat in competition, but carried a modified Colt Commander for years, then to a Kimber CDP Pro.
All that said, I'd like to get an RIA just to find out how cheap you can go...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
762NateOh is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
762NateOh's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine for what it is.

I shoot it better than the SA Loaded I had.
I picked mine up for $300 - it was the basic model. I threw on a extended safety, picked up some McCormicks, and it doesn't miss a beat.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #27
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
I have the compact model from RIA......its a colt officer model....3.5 inch barrel. I got the tactical model so its got the skelaton trigger and hammer....extended beavertail too. I wanted a good gun that didnt cost 1000 bux or more. I cant be more pleased with this gun. Ive fired about 1000 rds through it and it failed to cycle once. It happened last time at the range and I have heard about 1200-1500 rds is when a new spring might be warranted......and honestly...i may be well over 1200 rounds....lost count after 600 or so. No frills really......sights are better than base model but no night sights....the novak(style) sights are ok.....but could be upgraded. Love the real wood grips on my model too.....something I guess is not on all of them(most are plastic i heard).

If anyone is on the fence I would recomend buying one if you are in the market for a 1911 that is milspec and not tons of cash. Love it.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #28
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Love mine.

RIA Tactical. Retrofitted a Colt GI (non-ambi) safety and GI recoil spring guide and plug.
Ed Brown arched MSH. Raasco Dymwood grips (they are SHARP!)
http://raascogrips.com/

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #29
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
I have done a number of semi-customs based off RIA guns and they're definitely good to go. Their Tactical model is by far the best bang for the buck but some guys like the characteristics of the entry-level models (short beavertail for one) or just like to start with a bare-bones gun to add aftermarket parts to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o5iiawah View Post
for as much as people like to dog Taurus Pistols, i've put about 700 rounds through my 1911 with no misfires or FTEs. Time will tell but my friend's Kimber is just as old and has a miss or FTE about 1/150-200 rounds
That's because Kimber's QC has sucked for the last few years and the end product suffers immensely. They went from being considered a somewhat higher end 1911 to being a merely middle of the road one. And I'm glad you've had good luck with your Taurus, but Taurus earned its shitty reputation and then some. Even if they have improved dramatically since the day when only 1 out of 3 pistols they shipped functioned without needing to be returned, their reputation and quality control have many many more years of work to be done.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #30
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
I have done a number of semi-customs based off RIA guns and they're definitely good to go. Their Tactical model is by far the best bang for the buck but some guys like the characteristics of the entry-level models (short beavertail for one) or just like to start with a bare-bones gun to add aftermarket parts to.
Yup.

The new Springfield RO is what I really wanted (but I bought mine before the RO was made).
I debating getting the Tactical or the GI, but mainly due to the beavertail, I figured it would be cheaper and easier to "downgrade" the Tactical with what I wanted out of the GI, rather than try to upgrade the GI to a Tactical.

Tactical, I like the sights, trigger, beavertail, and ejection port.
GI, I like the non-ambi safety and standard guide rod/plug.

Difficult to rack the 1911 one-handed with a FLGR in the event of injury or entrapment of one hand. With the GI guide rod and plug, I can rack the slide on the edge of any table or even the heel of my boot.
FLGR, you're forced to use the front sight post to do this... not a good option.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #31
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I practice rackin my 1911 on my belt, heel of my shoe, pocket and edge of a table by the rear sights. I got mil spec tho, tall front and rear sights.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
I practice rackin my 1911 on my belt, heel of my shoe, pocket and edge of a table by the rear sights. I got mil spec tho, tall front and rear sights.
It works, but in a hot situation, I'd really hate to make it worse by damaging the sights... I'm going to need them
Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #33
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Love mine.

RIA Tactical. Retrofitted a Colt GI (non-ambi) safety and GI recoil spring guide and plug.
Ed Brown arched MSH. Raasco Dymwood grips (they are SHARP!)
http://raascogrips.com/

How hard was it to put the non ambi safety on there? I want to get the tactical because of the beavertail but do not want the ambi safety.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
How hard was it to put the non ambi safety on there? I want to get the tactical because of the beavertail but do not want the ambi safety.
The Tactical's safety is a TIGHT fit... you'll think you're going to break something removing it, but the two halves do separate (pull the left from the right).
Once the left side is out, rotate the right to clear the seer pin and it pretty much falls out.

I tried 3 different safeties before finding the Colt that fit.
The Brown and two others were actually too large for the hole in the frame.

The Colt was a good fit, but it took a VERY SMALL amount of filing to get proper operation. Total time was maybe 20 minutes with fitting.

A full conversion would include replacement of the pin with a flush pin from a GI, but I left it in case I ever want to go back to ambi.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #35
Greg Graffin 2016

Quote:
It works, but in a hot situation, I'd really hate to make it worse by damaging the sights... I'm going to need them
Only Reason I do that is because none of my other guns I had can be racked from the muzzle end and I didn't want to change anything I was taught so it becomes a natural reaction.

I was very surprised the glocks plastic sight handled the abuse I gave it. Same goes for the xd40. That slide was stiff even after 800 rounds.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #36

Good point on the consistency.

And yes... my XD9 slide is stiff. Wife can't rack it.
She can handle the RIA and her 92FS no problem.
The Glock 26 is a challenge, but she can handle it if needed.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #37
Greg Graffin 2016

Quote:
Good point on the consistency.

And yes... my XD9 slide is stiff. Wife can't rack it.
She can handle the RIA and her 92FS no problem.
The Glock 26 is a challenge, but she can handle it if needed.
So it wasn't just the xd40.
My dad had a hard time racking the xd40, he's has Tennis elbow. Some days it's bad some it isn't. He sometimes struggles with the glock 19, but it's not as bad as the xd. Looking for a ruger sp in .357/.38 for him now.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
So it wasn't just the xd40.
My dad had a hard time racking the xd40, he's has Tennis elbow. Some days it's bad some it isn't. He sometimes struggles with the glock 19, but it's not as bad as the xd. Looking for a ruger sp in .357/.38 for him now.
Happy with my SP101 (or the GP if you want 6 shots)
Check BassPro's web price and bounce it off of Turner's for a price match. I think I paid $490 for my snubbie.... and Basspro was out of stock. Turner's guy called, but after 5 minutes on hold hung up and gave it to me for the claimed price (which was like $10 less than their current sale price).
Old 07-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #39
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
one of my local gun stores.

RIA 1911 $420