1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exploring M-14 opic options

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by navysealboy93, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Oct 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    navysealboy93

navysealboy93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    ARB front bumper, wagon wheels, 235/85 wranger's, OME 1.5 in. lift and Dakar springs.
    Hey guys, I've recently been thinking about buying a M-14 rifle, and seeing how we all know "stock sucks" I've been looking at upgrades. I want to be able to reach out and touch targets with this rifle, using it mainly for long distance..I've got the M6A2 for the close/mid-range stuff. So my question here is where to start to look for a scope and what in your opinion would be the best scope for this application? Thanks.

P.S if you live near Tacoma, WA lets go shoot!:D

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Depends on what you want to spend, the Leupold tactical rifles are good, light weight, but run high in price. If you are going to so with the standard mount, you may want to think about it, and go with one running on the handguard.
    If you go with a high end scope please dont go cheap on the rings, and if possible lapp them. You will see a BIG difference.

3. Oct 24, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    Apricotshot

Apricotshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    TRD CAI
    If this is the case, I suggest switching platforms to either a AR pattern .308 or a bolt gun. You're going to spend a lot of money to get a M14 up to speed, in what would take the aforementioned platforms half the cost to get to. Just my words of caution.

4. Oct 25, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    navysealboy93

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    ARB front bumper, wagon wheels, 235/85 wranger's, OME 1.5 in. lift and Dakar springs.
    Whats a good 308. AR rifle in your opinion?

5. Oct 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    navysealboy93

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    Whats "lapp"??

6. Oct 26, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    Apricotshot

Apricotshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    TRD CAI
    Lewis Machine and Tool MWS (Used $2K or New $2500)
    Knight's Armament SR25 EMC (Outside the budget of most mortals, $4500)
    Noveske AR10 ($3K)
    FN-SCAR 17 ($2500 New)

I've shot and or owned all 4 and my favorite is the SCAR as of right now, due to light handling. If you want a long distance rig as well as the option of more compact rifle I'd go with the MWS as you can change out barrel length at will. The others are probably too expensive and you'd might as well just go the M14 route.

The lower end AR .308's are Bushmaster, DPMS. You get what you pay for with those. But I'm sure someone will chime in that thier DPMS is "flawless" and shoots minute of fly penis.

Products Discussed in

To Top