Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

First Bear experience. not what I expected

Old 11-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
First Bear experience. not what I expected

Let me start this off by saying I spend a lot of time in the woods and have ran into plenty of bears while squirrel huntin. I have never been scared of them or had a bad experience prior to this.

Tonight I had my first bear encounter while actually holding something of legal methods for killing a bear. I was using my bow. It was the last 5 minutes that i could even see my sights and they were gettin really really dim. bow hunters know what time of the night this is. But i heard a squirrel behind me freak out so turn around and look at it and a bear cub is crawling up a tree chasing it. Bears are remarkably silent because this tree was 20 yards behind me and I did not hear it at all. My first reaction was "Damn, thats cool. never seen it before." my next reaction was "hell yeah. baby cub=momma bear=bear meat". i then looked around and realized I had no idea where momma bear was. my thought now is "Shit. I am probably between momma and baby bear." And of course this is the first time I have ever not brought my 357 huntin with me. once i realized I was probably in Momma bears sights, i grabbed my shit and boogied out of there as fast as I could. Never did see mommy but I know she was there somewhere. Pretty wild last 5 minutes of huntin time. I must admit though it was one of the coolest experiences of my life swappin stares with the cub in the tree less than 20 yards away.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds intense. I probably would have to change my drawers after I came out.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
x2 lol
Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend that bow hunts bears in Northern Arizona. It sounds kinda risky
Old 11-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
Protrucker is on a distinguished road

Name: Al
Protrucker's Tacoma Gallery
Just this week, a kid shot a bear with his bow not too far from here. He went after it after telling his parents about it. They were coming to help him, but he was enough ahead of him that he got to the bear way too soon. The kid got mauled & killed by the bear before his parents got there. What a shame!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

takern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
wow...i think you did the right thing, but if it were me id probably wait in the stand until i saw the momma and shot it or i was sure that it was way gone (like wait till i see it walk away or try to spend the night in the stand)
i would have but i was not in a stand. i was huntin a thicket and none of the trees were sturdy enough to support a stand so i was huntin off the ground
Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #8

takern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protrucker View Post
Just this week, a kid shot a bear with his bow not too far from here. He went after it after telling his parents about it. They were coming to help him, but he was enough ahead of him that he got to the bear way too soon. The kid got mauled & killed by the bear before his parents got there. What a shame!
That is sad. nobody likes to hear about that. but it goes back to basic huntin safety. you should always make sure the animal is dead before comin up close to it. that kid also probably should have been able to tell it was not a good shot and left it over night. hard way to learn a tough lesson. This is exactly the reason i always bring my pistol, except for once and it could have been bad. good reality check for me though that I need to keep up on the safety aspect and not get lazy
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
Protrucker is on a distinguished road

Name: Al
Protrucker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
how old was he?
I think they said he was 18 or 19.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #10
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protrucker View Post
That sucks, I suppose it's karma though.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
I don't hunt, so I don't know, but if you kill the mom does the cub die?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm true, yea I'd feel like a dbag for killing the mom bear in that situation.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Atomic Punk
Apple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Apple X C0re's Tacoma Gallery
We have a few black bears here where I live. I was walking behind one of our sheds, and I turned to find one about 3 feet from me. I looked at him, and he looked at me. I said "skat" and stomped my foot, and it ran off. There are a lot of cubs running around too. Funny to watch.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Bah! You're running from nothing! at least see the bear before you freak.

Only time I did something like that was when I was hiking in the dark. Had a LED headlamp. As most know, they throw like 20 feet. About 50 yards away was a pair of yellow eyes that followed me for like 5 minutes. they caught just enough stray light to reflect, but I didn't know WTF they belonged to.

Never had a bad bear encounter though.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
HarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHarryTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HarryTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
I'm glad you are safe but damn your thread title in combination with this quote could mean something totally different in, let's say, certain cultures in San Francisco. I got a good chuckle out of it.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #16

takern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Bah! You're running from nothing! at least see the bear before you freak.

Only time I did something like that was when I was hiking in the dark. Had a LED headlamp. As most know, they throw like 20 feet. About 50 yards away was a pair of yellow eyes that followed me for like 5 minutes. they caught just enough stray light to reflect, but I didn't know WTF they belonged to.

Never had a bad bear encounter though.
If I had another 20 minutes of light i wouldnt have ran but being that i couldnt see my sights and i really didnt want to be between angry mommy and the cub i figured that was a bad place for what I could do if i was between them. I wouldnt say it was a bad encounter but it was exciting for sure.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #17
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt shoot a sow with a cub.

i think you did the right thing leaving them alone.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a rush man. i don't do much hunting past squirrels and dove but i would like to go bear hunting some day. my roommates uncle killed one wednesday in NC and it sounded intense! he actually had one he hit coming towards him while on the ground two years ago and when he pulled the trigger it went "click!". i would have shit my pants. thats when him and his friend pulled out a 357 and a 45 and put 15 bulllets in his head. crazy shit.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #19

takern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
sounds like a rush man. i don't do much hunting past squirrels and dove but i would like to go bear hunting some day. my roommates uncle killed one wednesday in NC and it sounded intense! he actually had one he hit coming towards him while on the ground two years ago and when he pulled the trigger it went "click!". i would have shit my pants. thats when him and his friend pulled out a 357 and a 45 and put 15 bulllets in his head. crazy shit.

yeah the 357 will do a number on furry creatures
Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #20
????????????
225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed225nontypical is one of the sharper tools in the shed

225nontypical's Tacoma Gallery
if you ran that is bad! if you slowly walked away and made yourself look as big as possible you did the right thing.

i have had lots of bear experiences and spent lots of time with them.

how big was the cub? was it the size of a large pumpkin or was it the size of a Rottweiler? if it was this years cub (born this last winter) it would be a little fur ball (I.E the size of a pumpkin) (this is my guess what you saw), and yes if you shot the sow the cub most likely would have died. now if it was bigger then that (a 1 1/2 year old bear) it would have been fine on it's own as mom either would be kicking it to the curb shortly or maybe already has. (some cubs stay with the sow's until they are 2-2 1/2 just depends on the sow. but i have also seen 1 1/2 year old cubs on there own.

as for the sow, about the only time you need to worry about them is if you and between them and there exit, or between them and there cub! if you are between them and there cub they may just stare you down until you move far enough away for the cub to get back to mom. They might pop the teeth and mock charge (maybe but not very often). other then that they run like hell.

i had a bear under my tree stand this year sniffing a branch i touched on the way up the tree, it was pretty cool but as soon as it figured out i was human it was gone and i mean gone (they can run really fast when the want to). also had a cub (6 month old at the time maybe) walk within 5 feet of me on the ground it stopped looked and me and them kept going. i sat tight and never did see mom but it was cool to see a cub that close up.

what you did was fine, just never run from a bear (you will look like prey at that point) and with blackbear's if attached fight back as hard as you can (this is the only type of bear you want to fight back with according to the experts).
unless a bear is old sick or starving they are so scared of you it is funny so no big worries.

by the way i am not trying to be a DB on this just trying to make some observations.