Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What type of carry case would you recommend for tactical rifles

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
What type of carry case would you recommend for tactical rifles

Just curious. What kind of tactical carry cases/bags would you recommend. I am in the market for one and have checked out a few and I am a little worried about my optics in the tactical bags on the market.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
pelican cases?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 5.11 Tactical case. It has room for rifle and all range gear. Straps on the inside hold rifle in position. I added mag pouches and spent case/water bottle bag. I paid about $100 for case at Cheaper Than Dirt. The molle pouches were extra.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i have this case, ...it's pretty good, but if you really want to ruggedize it, you'd probably have to put in some metal hardware (rings, clips)... it's padded fairly well, so unless you have a huge scope i'd think it would be fine..

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/150_28riflecase.aspx
Old 11-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I have a soft sided case from MidwayUSA. Protects the rife well and was inexpensive.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...rifle-gun-case
Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Nurse
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
For me it depends on where Im going and what Im bringing with me...

Spike Tactical single rifle case

Voodoo Tactical 2 rifle/2 pistol case

DSG Arms Hard case
Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Johnjaz is on a distinguished road
Army: 3/3 ACR 19D
Johnjaz's Tacoma Gallery
I like Voodoo Tactical. They are very well made and has decent padding. There is room for two rifles seperated by a padded divider and two small pouches for handguns, optics or whatever. It holds up to nine (maybe 12) AR mags in it's mag pouches and holds up to my abuse. You won't be dissapointed. They retail for about $90 on Voodoo's site but if you shop around you can get em for about $80 shipped. Measure what your putting in it. They have a few different lengths and have color and cammo choices.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going to get a car get a hard sided TSA approved case. That way if you decide to take it somewhere on a plane you won't have to get another case.
Someone mentioned Pelican and I couldn't agree more.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #9
JRob33 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Barksdale AFB
Name: Josh
JRob33's Tacoma Gallery
The pelican is a great choice and Plano also makes a really good tactical case as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-108420-G.../dp/B0029KDHRM
Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
The pelican cases are nice but they are really heavy! I have a pelican and a cheap plano. I use the plano more bc its lighter, smaller, and easier to lug around.

I want to get a soft case for when I dont want to lug the plastic ones around or dont have the space.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the Pelican...but the price is to high. I am leaning toward a soft bag. I like the ones available at Midway posted on here. Mainley because I can afford that one. I will also check out Academy this weekend.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #12
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
It really depends what your doing, and what constitutes a "tactical" rifle to you.

I have 3 different cases:

A pelican 1750 with foam hot wired custom for my surgeon 591 with viperskin aics.
A generic tac-force drag bag
A Eberlestock phantom pack

Each serves a distinctly different purpose. The pelican is strictly for distance drives and flights. Its got a ass ton of dents/scratches courtesy of the TSA monkeys, but never has a rifle been damaged, nor has any adjustment ever changed on my rifle.

My drag bag is great for just stuffing shit in, and hitting hte range. I can sinch down 2 rifles, store ammo, mags, spotting scope, mil-master, and various other things in there.

My eberlestock see the most useage from any sort of distance walking. If i have the prior knowledge that i'm going to walk a further distance than from my truck to the bench, example "steel safari, or prairie dog shooting" then I use the eberlestock pack. I can keep everything i need, extra's, spares, and JIC's.

If you're going from your truck, to a rifle range, just get a soft case. if you're actually doing things with it, figure out what you need and dont cheap out on it. (cheap cases bite you in the ass)
Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine to be discrete, personally.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I like mine to be discrete, personally.
guitar case?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidfor View Post
I really like the Pelican...but the price is to high. I am leaning toward a soft bag. I like the ones available at Midway posted on here. Mainley because I can afford that one. I will also check out Academy this weekend.
If you're looking for something on the cheaper side that is still a decent product, you should also check out the Condor Tactical cases. You can store up to 2 rifles, extra mags, and what ever else you need, and you can also carry it around like a back pack. Perfect for generic uses...

Those Eberlestock phantom cases are badass though!! Don't know if I can justify getting one for $400 tho. Already have 2 cases for my rifles....
Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #16

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...spx?catid=1001
Old 11-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
guitar case?
Nah, I'm not that discrete haha. Just plain sided rectangular soft cases, without molle straps or big logos etc... in black.

Could be a keyboard, could be anything! I'm a bit paranoid about loading up the truck. I don't like for people around to know what I have, just in case of burglary mostly.

Like:
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Deluxe-Cov...d_sim_sbs_sg_2
Old 11-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Nah, I'm not that discrete haha. Just plain sided rectangular soft cases, without molle straps or big logos etc... in black.

Could be a keyboard, could be anything! I'm a bit paranoid about loading up the truck. I don't like for people around to know what I have, just in case of burglary mostly.

Like:
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Deluxe-Cov...d_sim_sbs_sg_2
oh I couldnt agree more. If my neighbors are outside I will wait to load the truck up. My grandpa lived in an apartment complex for a few years and any time we carried guns in our out of the apartment we would keep the cases coverd with a coat or something and try our best to make sure neighbors where not out.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
check out galati international they make very nice cases for the money

Products Discussed in this Thread