Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Why an AR?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Why an AR?

I'm trying to understand why people still seem to like to build AR's other than cost.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine because the price point of building that vs other options, plus the versatility/cost of ammo...plus its just a fun gun to shoot

5.56 is cheaper than larger rounds, but more expensive than .22
5.56 seems to be more accurate for longer distances than .22

So basically it's an easy to build/use/shoot middle of the road multi-use rifle for me
Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
I'm trying to understand why people still seem to like to build AR's other than cost.
It's an ingenious, modular design and if you're good with your hands, the assembly straightforward. The hardest part for some people is driving the roll pins. Buy the correct tools and watch the assembly videos.

You can also hunt for the price-performance sweet spot on all the parts.
This aspect is most appealing to me.

The end result, if you chose your parts wisely, is much better than an equal cost off-the-shelf AR. It's a rewarding experience if you like to build things.

In a way, it's the modern-day musket.
Not hard to imagine a Minuteman in the 1770's working on his smokepole.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I've been looking into the ACR's and the FN SCAR lately. The only reason I could see building an AR is the cost but a XCR from Robinson Armament runs around $2300 and it's built on an ACR design from Magpul Masada. I gotta say, the ACR/SCAR is freaking badass!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
oops i was thinking you were asking why build an AR over another rifle

For that...it was EASY for someone new to gunfawkery
Old 12-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
oops i was thinking you were asking why build an AR over another rifle

For that...it was EASY for someone new to gunfawkery
Technically it is another rifle. Still chambered for the 5.56x45 and also available in a 7.62. Looking into them the design is ingenious and the next step in assault rifle design.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've been looking into the ACR's and the FN SCAR lately. The only reason I could see building an AR is the cost but a XCR from Robinson Armament runs around $2300 and it's built on an ACR design from Magpul Masada. I gotta say, the ACR/SCAR is freaking badass!
Personally not a fan.
They look bulky to me and they don't possess the iconic look of the weapon of the free world, the M4/AR family of weapons.

For a step up I would go AR10/SR25. The grand daddy of the Stoner design.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Personally not a fan.
They look bulky to me and they don't possess the iconic look of the weapon of the free world, the M4/AR family of weapons.

For a step up I would go AR10/SR25. The grand daddy of the Stoner design.
Form over function then? Still has a charging handle...

I wanted to start an AR build until I found out about the ACR and SCAr then though to myself WHY would anyone still want to go off of an AR platform.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
The SCAR is one badass rifle. I've heard about charging handle placement issues with attatched optics though...
if I had the money id grab one in an instant.

IMO people choose builds so that they know everything that goes into the rifle, personalized to whatever they want/need; for the satisfaction of knowing their rifle is truly "theirs".

It's like buying a built up taco and going wheeling compared to building it yourself.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #10

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I wanted to start an AR build until I found out about the ACR and SCAr then though to myself WHY would anyone still want to go off of an AR platform.
Go buy a SCAR, sounds like that's what you want.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
ZeroFMN.com
tamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shedtamer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tamer
tamer's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to build one. Then I found the S&W M&P 15 Sport, for $600 OTD you just can't beat the price. Solid built rifle, you only pay for the basics, and from there you can customize whatever you want without breaking the bank, still coming out ahead of purchasing a more expensive one, or building one.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If you're not convinced, you're welcome to come down and shoot my AR's. I've got a 5.56 and a 9mm.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
wags is on a distinguished road
wags's Tacoma Gallery
Why an AR?

Why not? Plenty of why's & why not buy or build your own. They are not the best battle rifle ever, but thats not what you asked. First off 5.56X45mm or .223 ammunition is abundant, reasonably priced and found about anywhere. If America ever goes into a civil war guranteed the Government troops shooting at you will have AR's. Shoot them and take there ammo & magazines. Get the point?

Also, parts are found about anywhere. You name it you can buy or build an AR if you have any mechanical skills. The AR is a very user friendly platform. Light weight, easy to operate and shoot. Don't forget low to about nill recoil. And accessories? The sky is the limit if you want to trick the rifle out!

I first picked up a M16A1 in 1977. Lugged it around 4yrs. Other than the bells and whistles we have basterized this rifle with it's still the same rifle. I like my 2 and have no plans on getting rid of them in the future. You won't go wrong buying or building a quality manufactured AR rifle. Which brand you ask? Too many to name, but I still like my Colt's!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #15

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Why not? Plenty of why's & why not buy or build your own. They are not the best battle rifle ever, but thats not what you asked. First off 5.56X45mm or .223 ammunition is abundant, reasonably priced and found about anywhere. If America ever goes into a civil war guranteed the Government troops shooting at you will have AR's. Shoot them and take there ammo & magazines. Get the point?

Also, parts are found about anywhere. You name it you can buy or build an AR if you have any mechanical skills. The AR is a very user friendly platform. Light weight, easy to operate and shoot. Don't forget low to about nill recoil. And accessories? The sky is the limit if you want to trick the rifle out!

I first picked up a M16A1 in 1977. Lugged it around 4yrs. Other than the bells and whistles we have basterized this rifle with it's still the same rifle. I like my 2 and have no plans on getting rid of them in the future. You won't go wrong buying or building a quality manufactured AR rifle. Which brand you ask? Too many to name, but I still like my Colt's!
Word.

And those SCAR's are just plain fugly.
Now those HK416's are interesting........
Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
I love mines cause their so many parts for it, its like a toyota or vw, PARTS EVERYWHERE!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #17
The TW 1%
Went out and took a look a fee guns today and also a H&k USP 45 that blew up in a the guys hand (firing reloaded rounds he reloaded) tore the gun in 1/2. I Looked a few different AR platforms and dig them. Cost is a huge factor and It's probably be set for me to try and go that route. Might have to wait until I'm out of California... Stupid CA laws...

I haven't handled a SCAR or ACR platform yet but really want to take a look at them before I decide.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #18
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a really outstanding AR-15 (M4) type rifle out of the box with all the enhancements already done you cannot beat the LWRC M6 TRICON. All you have to do is install your choice of optic and have fun with it.

I have about 3000 rounds through mine. Never cleaned it and it just rocks.

I attended a nice carbine class by Trident Concepts in FL and we ran about 2300 rounds through them in 3 days. There were two LWRC rifles in the class and neither missed a beat. By the third day two other rifles just broke and just about all the rest were having problems of some kind, like double feeding like crazy, rounds tumbling through the targets, feed failures and so on.

G
Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
The sherbet is fermenting........
Sgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud of

Navy: test marketing positive thinking
Name: Matt
Sgian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
The SCAR is one badass rifle. I've heard about charging handle placement issues with attatched optics though...
if I had the money id grab one in an instant.

IMO people choose builds so that they know everything that goes into the rifle, personalized to whatever they want/need; for the satisfaction of knowing their rifle is truly "theirs".

It's like buying a built up taco and going wheeling compared to building it yourself.
Stay away from the SCAR. Seriously. If you like destroying any electro-optic after about 400 rounds, then go ahead buy the thing. If you like a rifle that jams, on average, every 600 rounds, go ahead and buy the SCAR. If you want a rifle in 5.56 that has less intrinsic accruacy than a 10/22, the SCAR is for you. I have shot it, and witnessed mutliple assessments on that platform, seriously not a fan. It only passed by the most minimal margins for acceptance, and we do not like it. Do yourself a favor, buy an AR-10 or an M-1a if you need 7.62.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Went out and took a look a fee guns today and also a H&k USP 45 that blew up in a the guys hand (firing reloaded rounds he reloaded) tore the gun in 1/2. I Looked a few different AR platforms and dig them. Cost is a huge factor and It's probably be set for me to try and go that route. Might have to wait until I'm out of California... Stupid CA laws...

I haven't handled a SCAR or ACR platform yet but really want to take a look at them before I decide.
I can help you with all the CA compliance shit if you need the help.