LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Scent Blocker outfit

Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Scent Blocker outfit

Well I thought I would add a little about this. Now this stuff is somewhat high in price, but I will give you my thoughts from the 5 years of using it.
I need to replace it now before going back out due to ripping it BAD on hung barbwire.
As for the camo pattern I have used mossy oak, and it has been great. I have had squirrels walk across my legs and have had fox come within 3 feet of me and also have taken buck within 20 yards on the ground. Now the pattern is some what dark in areas so make sure to pick the right tree if you climb, especially in the fall. OR you will look like a dark blob.
As for controling scent, WOW, but you still need to be smart. I use a scent eliminator also, but being in a wood fired room (for heat), the smell gets into your regular cloths. But when you climb into the suit, "your smell is gone".
For the past 5 years I have taken deer from down wind of me, yes thats right, "down wind". This year I seen 11 does, 3 nice bucks and they came from down wind of me. They did not know I was their, and in area's that the wind blows around, I have no worries.
The outfit beside my rifle I take great care out. Washing is special in itself using special laundry soap, and recharging the outfit in the dryer. I purchased a med. sized black tub to store it all in when hunting and when packed up. The tub I washed with plain water, rubbed leaves in it, then spray it with earth scent control.
Like I said the price is high, my jacket (heavy), pants (heavy), orange hat, pullover hat with face concealment, gloves (heavy), and gloves (lite) ran around $700 bucks. But I believe well worth it if you are going to be fighting the wind. I may go to real tree camo pattern in the next outfit. But we will see
Now all of this is just my two cents worth, for me it has works the way it should.
Happy hunting to you all, good luck, and most of all "BE SAFE"
Old 11-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Great writeup longbow, I have a scent suit I like alot, it does work well, have deer pass down wind and never flinch.

In addition, my suit is leafy-wear and I believe it works great. Slight breeze makes the fabric move which makes it difficult for any critters including the eyesight of the turkeys to pick up your silhouette.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
What is the maker? I am having a hard time locating the suit I had before. Is it just outer wear or thermal?
Outer wear......Here is what I wear, usually gets me through bow season and into firearms.......... can layer with it and hunt in temps down to about 25deg.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=107193

I don't think I'll buy too much more camo that isn't leafy wear. Like you said, seeing a critter land on you is really neat. Had birds land on me several times. Squirrels run super close too. The only time I don't think it would be good would be in late season, hunting in a tree when all the leaves are down.

Bought mine about 11 years ago and gave around $300. The price sure has come down...wow