Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

.17 hmr or .22 lr?

Old 12-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Question .17 hmr or .22 lr?

I'm looking to add another gun to the collection. It's either going to be a .17hmr or .22 lr. I already have a .22 henry, its a great gun but I dont want to add a scope to it. Im looking for something for varmint hunting. If I get a .22 it will be a Ruger 10/22, shot one the other day and loved it. But I really like the .17hmr's. Do any of you have a .17hmr that you could recommend? Looking to spend about $250 on just the gun, no scope.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have an hmr, but do have a .17 Mach 2 (savage). I really like the gun, but the ammo is a lot more expensive (and harder to find) than a 22.

Mike
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
If it's for varmints, .17hmr without a doubt. There are several good rifles in that caliber, Ruger and Marlin come to mind. Just try them out and see what suits you best.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Buy and Anshutz HMR 17, i love mine!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys. I really like the savage's but the magazine is a little aggervating to slide in.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index...uktShow=detail
Here mine, one of my finest firearms!!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
I love how cheap the .22 is to shoot, but it's just not much more than a target round IMO. the HMR will do the job right every time as the muzzle velocity is almost as good as most larger caliber hunting rifles, but the kick is minimal.

I have a .22 LR Marlin in semi-auto that I love to shoot, and have used on squirrel, but I'd go .17.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
The Welfare Cadilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index...uktShow=detail
Here mine, one of my finest firearms!!

Out of my price range, thanks though looks like a really nice gun
Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Of course it really doesn't get any better than Anschutz.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
I have a savage in .17HMR that i absolutely love. I also have a Ruger 10/22 and love it as well.
If you are going to hunt varmints I would go with the .17HMR. They are accurate and hit hard for having a light weight bullet. I have never had a ground hog walk away when I hit it with .17HMR.
My savage likes CCI ammo but a friend of mine's savage likes hornady ammo so if you get one try different ammo and go with the one that shoot the best. ( I know basic gun 101 but thought I would mention it)
Old 12-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
The Welfare Cadilac

Ive looked at the CZ its around $400, seems like a really nice gun. Might save a few more pennies.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
The Welfare Cadilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP View Post
I have a savage in .17HMR that i absolutely love. I also have a Ruger 10/22 and love it as well.
If you are going to hunt varmints I would go with the .17HMR. They are accurate and hit hard for having a light weight bullet. I have never had a ground hog walk away when I hit it with .17HMR.
My savage likes CCI ammo but a friend of mine's savage likes hornady ammo so if you get one try different ammo and go with the one that shoot the best. ( I know basic gun 101 but thought I would mention it)
What model is it?
Old 12-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
.17hmr for sure

Those little bullets pack a hell of a punch.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #15

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Out of my price range, thanks though looks like a really nice gun
Yeah there spendy, but absolute tack drivers. I have been looking into there 308win, i wonder if it would shoot the same as there rimfire stuff.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
93R17 I don't know what they call it as far as a name. It's an older model probably 5 or 6 years old.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
22LR ammo is nice and cheap . I'd do with 22LR.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #18
The Welfare Cadilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP View Post
93R17 I don't know what they call it as far as a name. It's an older model probably 5 or 6 years old.

I might go check one out tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
slidyr is a glorious beacon of lightslidyr is a glorious beacon of lightslidyr is a glorious beacon of lightslidyr is a glorious beacon of lightslidyr is a glorious beacon of lightslidyr is a glorious beacon of light

slidyr's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased a Marlin17HMR five years ago and absolutely love it,I've sent thousands of rounds downrange. It's taken squirrels,whitetails,coyotes and whatever else you aim at it. The best feature of it is the bull barrel,highly recommend that option. That's my opinion but either choice is still fun and affordable.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #20
The Welfare Cadilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidyr View Post
I purchased a Marlin17HMR five years ago and absolutely love it,I've sent thousands of rounds downrange. It's taken squirrels,whitetails,coyotes and whatever else you aim at it. The best feature of it is the bull barrel,highly recommend that option. That's my opinion but either choice is still fun and affordable.

It seems like the barrel would get heavy, no?