Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

All About Suppressors

Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyDeltaTango View Post
What's a good reason to tell the .gov why you need a silencer?
"all legal purposes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
hence why suppressors are illegal!!
so they cant have suppressed spears?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone do anything cool with their cans recently?

I just upgraded my OG sparrow to SS...
Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
I think I've asked this in another thread, but others might see it here.

I've got a Sig P226 in .40, and I want to put a can on it. Do I need to purchase a threaded barrel, or can a gunsmith thread my current one? Will that cause any wonkiness in the action/barrel?

I know .40 suppressors ain't cheap, so I might just go with a different setup if it starts becoming too cost-prohibitive.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post

I've got a Sig P226 in .40, and I want to put a can on it. Do I need to purchase a threaded barrel, or can a gunsmith thread my current one? Will that cause any wonkiness in the action/barrel?

I know .40 suppressors ain't cheap, so I might just go with a different setup if it starts becoming too cost-prohibitive.
You can either buy a threaded barrel, or send it to someone to add an extension. It'll probably be a wash on cost. You won't be able to thread the barrel as-is and use it.

And I'd buy a 45 cal suppressor, such as the Osprey. Then you can use it on 45, 40 and 9mm. Dedicated 40 cal cans aren't very popular.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
You can either buy a threaded barrel, or send it to someone to add an extension. It'll probably be a wash on cost. You won't be able to thread the barrel as-is and use it.

And I'd buy a 45 cal suppressor, such as the Osprey. Then you can use it on 45, 40 and 9mm. Dedicated 40 cal cans aren't very popular.
Ah! Thanks! I just assumed you needed a caliber-specific suppressor.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Going bigger gives you more flexibility, but can lower performance. As you go up in caliber you usually go up in can volume as well, which adds size and weight but also lowers the pitch which can make it more comfortable to the ear. For instance, I have a 30 cal can for use on 223, 308, 300 blk, etc.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #27
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post

X2

Quote:
You will have a little better sound suppression with a caliber specific suppressor but IMO If I was going to suppress a .40 I would just get a .45 can.

If a gun barrel doesn't come threaded from the factory I would just look for an aftermarket threaded barrel. They are pretty easy to find.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Anyone do anything cool with their cans recently?

I just upgraded my OG sparrow to SS...
I'm jealous of your sparrow Trade you for my Tac 65.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
I just read a couple articles on hunting with suppressors....

apparently they are encouraged if not required for hunting in Europe???? (correct me if i am wrong)

and i want the info on the 2nd post
Old 02-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
I just read a couple articles on hunting with suppressors....

apparently they are encouraged if not required for hunting in Europe???? (correct me if i am wrong)

and i want the info on the 2nd post
I can see why they would face some legislation here -- poaching and accidents and whatnot.

I'd love to hunt with a suppressor. I know I can in WA, but I can't afford to equip everything with one. I might end up just suppressing my hunting rifle since it's what I use more anyway.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #31
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I'm fixing to suppress my .22

Plan is to purchase an Innovative Arms Apex from Palmetto State Armory...get all the paperwork filled out and sweet talk the boss into signing off on it

then the awful wait
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #32
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can see why they would face some legislation here -- poaching and accidents and whatnot.

I'd love to hunt with a suppressor. I know I can in WA, but I can't afford to equip everything with one. I might end up just suppressing my hunting rifle since it's what I use more anyway.
there are states in which they are legal in the US, but what i was saying, is that in Europe they are REQUIRED to hunt with them, as well as if you own a gun, you are encouraged to have a suppressor for it......the one thing i have found that the US should take the example from Europe when it comes to guns, no regulation on suppressors for the most part.....unless i interpreted the article wrong
Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #33
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
there are states in which they are legal in the US, but what i was saying, is that in Europe they are REQUIRED to hunt with them, as well as if you own a gun, you are encouraged to have a suppressor for it......the one thing i have found that the US should take the example from Europe when it comes to guns, no regulation on suppressors for the most part.....unless i interpreted the article wrong
but a vast majority of europe gets ultra butthurt over anything other than hunting rifles/shotguns.

"Tacticool" usually lands your ass in jail in europe.

Also, We are starting to follow regarding hunting. GA recently started to allow suppressors to be used on hunting rifles.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #34
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Obviously I don't have a suppressor but here is a cool vid of one in use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dYX-...e_gdata_player
Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #35
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I think there neat, just too expensive to use Shooting at the range..so not worth my money..lol
Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #36
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
why? just curious i dont judge anybody. I am just trying to come up with a reason to use one. is it just for the "cool" factor?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #38
Resident Redneck
WhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WhiskeyDeltaTango's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
why? just curious i dont judge anybody. I am just trying to come up with a reason to use one. is it just for the "cool" factor?
I want one strictly so no one can hear me shoot. It really opens up hunting hogs and predators at night in close proximity to houses. and it would be invaluable in a emergency situation.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #39
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

check out ADCO's website. they offer lots of gunsmithing services and they can thread barrels and do barrel extentions for adding suppressors.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #40
Apricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shedApricotshot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Lcpl, 3/8 & 3rd FAST
Name: Henry
Apricotshot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post

Military application: Sound reduction when firing indoors (duh), ability to communitcate with fellow shooters, 90% muzzle flash reduction (so nothing sees your muzzle flash drawing fire to yourself), no dust cloud when firing prone, recoil reduction, bullet fight noise makes the round seem to have been fired somewhere else from the target's perspective, no bloom when using night vision devices.

Civilian application: See above.