Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

All About Suppressors

Old 02-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #41
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyDeltaTango View Post
What's a good reason to tell the .gov why you need a silencer?
for my SBR i put "to legally enhance my collection"

it worked
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #43
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Well I was all set to pay for my Apex today...and spend 20-30 min at Palmetto State Armory fondling a S&W 15-22 with integral suppressed barrel...then spend another 10 minutes on the phone with Innovative Arms...

Taking my Sig 522 down there next week to see if he can build an integral barrel suppressor

Will cost a bit more...but...MUCH quieter

http://www.innovativearms.com/id29.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNhhlIpLvg
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #44
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember that you're giving up flexibility of hosts to gain shortness, and that a semi-auto will still be kind loud. I can't come up with a reason I would want an integral can, but whatever floats your boat.

Surely if you're getting a custom can built they will let you run one of their suppressed setups so you know for sure it's what you want.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #45
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
they are illegal in kansas..... Utt Ohh..
Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #46
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post
they are illegal in kansas..... Utt Ohh..
No, they're not. I've taken mine to KS several times.

http://nfadealers.com/#Kansas:
Old 02-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #47
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Suppressors:
illegal in hawaii.

still stands

screw you guys.

Jelly meter grows.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #48
LGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC2(SW)
Name: Rob
LGE RAW's Tacoma Gallery
A friend of mine is getting a YHM for a 9mm AR SBR. The dealer told him BATFE has been told to sit on the paperwork longer so that it now takes about 5 months to get the Form 4 back.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #49
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Just remember that you're giving up flexibility of hosts to gain shortness, and that a semi-auto will still be kind loud. I can't come up with a reason I would want an integral can, but whatever floats your boat.

Surely if you're getting a custom can built they will let you run one of their suppressed setups so you know for sure it's what you want.
i'm focusing more on the dB level than length really...i know i'd possibly give up some flexibility, but at this point I only have the sig and an AR and I don't shoot the AR enough to justify spending money on a can for it

I'm gonna head down there and see if we can work out me shooting one with both on it before I spend any money

At this point it may be a moot point if his price comes back to an outrageous price...but his integral 15-22 is $1100 with the full firearm...which is like $550 without the can

If I can integrally suppress the sig for $550 + tax stamp...I'm good with that...esp for how quiet it SEEMS to be
Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #50

Yeah, that's a pretty good price. AFAIK, the main benefit of an integral can is that it usually bleeds off enough velocity to keep the cheap stuff subsonic. If your goal is to shoot bulk-pack 22 in a 16" barrel, the integral might be a great choice for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #51
2bnb driver is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
2bnb driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
why? just curious i dont judge anybody. I am just trying to come up with a reason to use one. is it just for the "cool" factor?
Thats an honest question. Here is an honest answer. Alot has to do with the "cool" factor. The net wouldnt be filled with the "look what i got" suppressor videos and pictures if it didnt have a cool side or at least an elitist factor to it. Its similar to the "look at my rims, lifts, chrome" and other mods threads.

Having said that they are practical in just about all applications. Exceptions like shooting at ranges where everyone wears ear pro does limit practicality. Where i live suppressors are common and their use is considered to be normal. As with all things normal is relative to the real estate your feet are setting on.

Here are a few good reasons 1) Plain and simple, shooting suppressed is just polite. Generally society wants quieter cars, mowers, neighborhoods, campgrounds etc etc etc. Why would the same be against quieter firearms? 2) Recoil management and accuracy enhancement if done correctly. 3) Safety plays a huge roll. When plinking, target shooting or teaching the young ones how to shoot, communication is always important. Using all senses eyes, ears etc is critical to safe shooting as it elevates awareness 4) suppressors are the best form of hearing protection period. There will always be the poke that wont put his muffs on in time or the individual that doesnt think protection is necessary. All gun fire damages hearing and that includes the 22 as well. 5) shooting suppressed makes shooting a much more enjoyable experience whether it be the shooter or the by stander.

Mark
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #52

My .22 can is still my favorite. Tons of fun on the pistol and just as much fun on the rifle.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #53
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
can NON-subsonic ammo be used with suppressors?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #54
2bnb driver is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
2bnb driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
can NON-subsonic ammo be used with suppressors?
Yes sir they can and are beneficial as hearing protection for the shooter. But sonic ammo will still have the sonic crack. Gun shots are rather obviuos, there is no such thing as hollywood quiet. At one time "silencerresearch.com" had a large volume of testing videos with both sonic and subsonic ammo. Not sure if that is still available. It does depict reasonable expectations.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #55
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bnb driver View Post
Yes sir they can and are beneficial as hearing protection for the shooter. But sonic ammo will still have the sonic crack. Gun shots are rather obviuos, there is no such thing as hollywood quiet. At one time "silencerresearch.com" had a large volume of testing videos with both sonic and subsonic ammo. Not sure if that is still available. It does depict reasonable expectations.

thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #56
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Also, to update this thread:

With the election coming up, NFA processing has been backordered.

What use to take 4-6 months to get a Approval for a Suppressor, is now taking upwards of 9-10 months.

I heard from my Class III dealer, that the NFA has received something in the magnitude of 30,000 approval requests.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #57
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
I am doing the paperwork for mine next week. I will be for a Savage 93R17 .17HMR
Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #58
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
Also, to update this thread:

With the election coming up, NFA processing has been backordered.

What use to take 4-6 months to get a Approval for a Suppressor, is now taking upwards of 9-10 months.

I heard from my Class III dealer, that the NFA has received something in the magnitude of 30,000 approval requests.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post

Maybe this month. It's more like 5x that per year the last few years.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #60
Save a horse ride a Railroader
Catcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: C-17 Loadmaster 2300 hrs
Name: Bryan
Catcrazed's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'm gunna pony up. I think I've settledon the Gemtech Trek I mite step up to the Titanium. The reason I'm chosing Gemtech Is I just like the simple direct thread on 1/2x28 thread so I can switch it between guns. Will be ordering this week Any sug input will be app.