Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

All About Suppressors

Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #121
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
.22 suppressors are the gateway drug to NFA items. Advice I wish I had been given before I had accumulated several NFA items is to setup a NFA trust before you buy any NFA items. Good luck .22 suppressors are awesome.
I still haven't quite figured out the trust, what exactly is it?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #122
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
I still haven't quite figured out the trust, what exactly is it?
from what i was told you don't have to be around when it is in use, your friend could borrow it if he was on the trust (i think)
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #123
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
There are numerous reasons why setting up NFA trust is the best way to go. Some of the best reasons would be you don't have to deal with getting your chief law enforcement officer to signoff on your paperwork, no finger print cards, no passport photos and NFA transfers going through trusts commonly get approved quicker than transfers going to an individual. Also with a trust you can name multiple trustees meaning you don't have to be preset if you let another trustee borrow the suppressor/NFA item. Also when you die the trust doesn't die thus your wife (assuming she is named as a trustee) isn't committing a felony by being in possession of your suppressor(s) machine gun(s), SBR's etc. Also there are gray areas around laws with NFA items, example technically if you hand your buddy a suppressor to play with and you stand next to him technically you are not in possession of the item and could technically be charged with a felony, in my trust I have the ability by being present to grant temporary trusteeship to those that use my NFA items.

This is just scratching the surface of why it's important to transfer these items into a trust, do a search online and you will find a ton of great information.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #124
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wow, thanks for the info, I may have to look into setting up a trust now. If you don't mind me asking, was it hard to do and did it cost anything?

I will be doing a lot of research on the trust now before I get it.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #125
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, it's finally done. I picked up the suppressor last night.

That's awesome. plus Lage just came out with a 223 upper, right?

Quote:
There are numerous reasons why setting up NFA trust is the best way to go. Some of the best reasons would be you don't have to deal with getting your chief law enforcement officer to signoff on your paperwork, no finger print cards, no passport photos and NFA transfers going through trusts commonly get approved quicker than transfers going to an individual. Also with a trust you can name multiple trustees meaning you don't have to be preset if you let another trustee borrow the suppressor/NFA item. Also when you die the trust doesn't die thus your wife (assuming she is named as a trustee) isn't committing a felony by being in possession of your suppressor(s) machine gun(s), SBR's etc. Also there are gray areas around laws with NFA items, example technically if you hand your buddy a suppressor to play with and you stand next to him technically you are not in possession of the item and could technically be charged with a felony, in my trust I have the ability by being present to grant temporary trusteeship to those that use my NFA items.

This is just scratching the surface of why it's important to transfer these items into a trust, do a search online and you will find a ton of great information.
In the end, it's up to the individual. I don't have kids at the moment and I'm not worried about an ATF agent looking over my shoulder if someone is at the range and borrows my suppressor. If they want to borrow one for an extended period of time, they can get their own, lol.

I'll continue to submit my forms as an individual, but it's up to the individual. The BATFE has officially submitted recommendations to get rid of the CLEO signoff (for all NFA paperwork) and to require everyone in a trust to submit paperwork and prints for every NFA form every time (just like an individual), which will eventually eliminate the main benefit of the trust route. Other benefits will remain, it's simply a matter of what works best for you.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #126
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the info, I may have to look into setting up a trust now. If you don't mind me asking, was it hard to do and did it cost anything?

I will be doing a lot of research on the trust now before I get it.
The most basic NFA trust setup by an attorney will typically run about $100 and go up from there. The more expensive trusts typically start getting into estate planning of your firearm assets that you decide to hold in the trust. You can hold all your guns in the trust - it's important to note that if you hold other non NFA items in the trust you don't need to disclose those firearms to the ATF.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
That's awesome. plus Lage just came out with a 223 upper, right?
Thanks! I wish Lage would. It was Alliance Armament. It's cool but it requires you drill a hole in the back of the lower reciever. I'm not ready to do that to mine yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-IVfXyrBY

Quote:
In the end, it's up to the individual. I don't have kids at the moment and I'm not worried about an ATF agent looking over my shoulder if someone is at the range and borrows my suppressor. If they want to borrow one for an extended period of time, they can get their own, lol.

I'll continue to submit my forms as an individual, but it's up to the individual. The BATFE has officially submitted recommendations to get rid of the CLEO signoff (for all NFA paperwork) and to require everyone in a trust to submit paperwork and prints for every NFA form every time (just like an individual), which will eventually eliminate the main benefit of the trust route. Other benefits will remain, it's simply a matter of what works best for you.
First I've heard of that regarding the trustees being required to submit prints... I know the ATF is beta testing being able to submit form 4's and 1's online if it's going through a trust.

It's true thought it's up to the individual.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #128
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! I wish Lage would. It was Alliance Armament. It's cool but it requires you drill a hole in the back of the lower reciever. I'm not ready to do that to mine yet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-IVfXyrBY

That's awesome. Did you notice the dude's flash hider unscewing as he was shooting? Maybe he uses a suppressor sometimes or something.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #129

Quote:
That's awesome. Did you notice the dude's flash hider unscewing as he was shooting? Maybe he uses a suppressor sometimes or something.
Good eye, I've watched that video probably a dozen times and never noticed that. That is sketchy not to tighten down that flash hider.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #130
Save a horse ride a Railroader
Catcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: C-17 Loadmaster 2300 hrs
Name: Bryan
Catcrazed's Tacoma Gallery
My nfa dealer didn't say squat about a trust when I did the paperwork for my sbr
Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #131

Quote:
Good eye, I've watched that video probably a dozen times and never noticed that. That is sketchy not to tighten down that flash hider.
that would make me nervous too...if I noticed that on my gun, i'd be freaking out and pulling out the loctite (not the permanent stuff)

is there a possibility of a supressor doing that if it isn't tightened enough?

and do you mind me borrowing your sig?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #132

Quote:
that would make me nervous too...if I noticed that on my gun, i'd be freaking out and pulling out the loctite (not the permanent stuff)

is there a possibility of a supressor doing that if it isn't tightened enough?

and do you mind me borrowing your sig?
That sig is all yours, I think everybody should use it.

You could get a dreaded baffle strike if a suppressor comes loose during firing. It's usually a bigger problem on rifles but pistols can come loose too. IMO a good quality rifle suppressor will have a way to lock up so it doesn't accidently come loose. On my YHM Phantom 5.56mm the suppressor threads over the YHM flash suppressor and has a locking system that keeps the suppressor from loosening up.

Where you see the YHM logo that is spring loaded and those bumps (for lack of a better word) lock up into notches on the suppressor.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #133

Quote:
That sig is all yours, I think everybody should use it.

You could get a dreaded baffle strike if a suppressor comes loose during firing. It's usually a bigger problem on rifles but pistols can come loose too. IMO a good quality rifle suppressor will have a way to lock up so it doesn't accidently come loose. On my YHM Phantom 5.56mm the suppressor threads over the YHM flash suppressor and has a locking system that keeps the suppressor from loosening up.

Where you see the YHM logo that is spring loaded and those bumps (for lack of a better word) lock up into notches on the suppressor.

Why thank you, I'm actually about to get a knife engraved with Molon lobe

The notches on the flash suppressor seem like a good idea, can you see the bumps when it is on?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #134

Quote:
Why thank you, I'm actually about to get a knife engraved with Molon lobe

The notches on the flash suppressor seem like a good idea, can you see the bumps when it is on?
Nice!

This is all you can see when it's on.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #135
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm, we'll be moving to a free state in under 3 years and i would like to get a suppressor when we get out there,i understand that dad has to buy it but if my name is on the trust i can use it when he's not around right?
how well the the M&P pistols work with suppressors?
what caliber should i get besides 22? which 22 pistols like suppressors?
all i have to do to to swap a suppressor between a pistol and 10/22 is correct threading right?

sorry for all the questions.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
hmmm, we'll be moving to a free state in under 3 years and i would like to get a suppressor when we get out there,i understand that dad has to buy it but if my name is on the trust i can use it when he's not around right?
how well the the M&P pistols work with suppressors?
what caliber should i get besides 22? which 22 pistols like suppressors?
all i have to do to to swap a suppressor between a pistol and 10/22 is correct threading right?

sorry for all the questions.
Until you are 21 I don't believe you can lawfully be a trustee of a NFA (National Firearms Act) Trust. If your father were to set up a NFA Trust and add you as as trustee when you are 21 you should be good to go to be able to use the items held within the trust assuming you are lawfully permitted (not a criminal) of course I'm not an attorney but this if from how I interpret what I've read and been told.

Assuming you have reliable .22 pistol from my experience all .22 suppressors work great. They will also work on .22 riles as long as the threads are the same.

Congrats on moving to a free state.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #137
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Until you are 21 I don't believe you can lawfully be a trustee of a NFA (National Firearms Act) Trust. If your father were to set up a NFA Trust and add you as as trustee when you are 21 you should be good to go to be able to use the items held within the trust assuming you are lawfully permitted (not a criminal) of course I'm not an attorney but this if from how I interpret what I've read and been told.

Assuming you have reliable .22 pistol from my experience all .22 suppressors work great. They will also work on .22 riles as long as the threads are the same.

Congrats on moving to a free state.
ok,i thought i would have to be 21 but didn't know for sure.
cool, i wonder if walther will release a threaded barrel for the 22 ppk

thanks, it'll probably be ~2 years before we actually move.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #138
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone built their own suppressor? i want to build a metal one, not the plastic bottles with foam or whatever inside.
what did you use for baffles? did you buy baffles from a suppressor company and design your suppressors around that?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
has anyone built their own suppressor? i want to build a metal one, not the plastic bottles with foam or whatever inside.
what did you use for baffles? did you buy baffles from a suppressor company and design your suppressors around that?
You would need to get a form 1 approved from the ATF to build a suppressor. I would leave suppressor building to the professionals. I don't know of any suppressor manufacturers that will sell just the baffles I know manufactures I've worked with require you send them the suppressor if you need new baffles even if it is user sevicable.

Be careful to stay on the right side of the law.

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/in...p?topic=5801.0
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #140
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You would need to get a form 1 approved from the ATF to build a suppressor. I would leave suppressor building to the professionals. I don't know of any suppressor manufacturers that will sell just the baffles I know manufactures I've worked with require you send them the suppressor if you need new baffles even if it is user sevicable.

Be careful to stay on the right side of the law.

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/in...p?topic=5801.0
i was reading about the form 1 and apparently if i make it i only have to be 18.
if i built one it would be for 22 so i could buy a 556 or 762 suppressor.