Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

All About Suppressors

Old 01-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
All About Suppressors

So, I think we should start a thread on suppressors. I want to see photos of what you have! Also, if you have questions about legality or the paperwork process, post it here and we'll help you out!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Silencers are legal but they are regulated on a per-state basis. However, the National Firearms Act (NFA) branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) ultimately controls any transfers, and all silencers are registered by this branch. Individuals, corporations, and trusts can legally purchase and possess silencers in 38 states. However, if you are a dealer, manufacturer, peace officer, or a law enforcement agency or other government agency, there are additional states where you can own a silencer. Check map to see if you are eligible.
BLACK States prohibit ownership

So far these states are legal: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY.

Caveats to this:
  • You cannot legally make your own silencer in a state where silencers are illegal.
  • You cannot drive or fly to a silencer friendly state and purchase one to take back to your state.
  • You cannot have a friend or family member who lives in a silencer friendly state buy you one.
  • You must be a resident of the state where the silencer is purchased. Military personnel stationed in suppressor friendly states are considered residents in that state, and may purchase them there.

To own a silencer:
  • you must be a citizen of the United States
  • you must be at least 21 years of age
  • you cannot be a felon

The process to purchase:
For individuals to purchase a silencer, they must start by choosing a product. Locate a class III gun dealer in your state. Once you agree to your dealer’s selling price, you may be required to pay for the silencer in full or, at the very least, provide a significant deposit to start your transfer paperwork. This is because it may take one to five months for the paperwork to be approved, thus tying up the inventory.
After the monetary transaction takes place, the dealer will order the product from the suppressor manufacturer, and will have to transfer the product to your dealer by asking permission from the BATFE via Form 3. This transfer can take two to six weeks to be approved. If the dealer does have the product in stock, it will be assigned to you and separated from the rest of the inventory, ensuring that you have a product serial number for your form. Once you have an assigned product serial number, the class III dealer will then give you the ATF Form 4 (5320.4), Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm, in duplicate with the serial number of the product filled out in the appropriate section. You must fill out the rest of the form in duplicate. You will send in a $200 check or money order with the completed application, along with a recent photo and fingerprint cards.

There are 2 ways of purchasing them:

First way, is as a individual:
  1. Obtain the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) from your dealer in duplicate. Some information should be pre-filled by your dealer, such as the dealer’s name and address, the model of the silencer you are purchasing, the overall length of the silencer, the caliber of the silencer, the serial number of the silencer, and the manufacturer’s information. Make sure the dealer signs the appropriate fields. Remember to complete all information in duplicate.
  2. Fill out the required information on the front of the form, including your name and address. Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the silencer. Sign and date the back of the form. Again, remember to complete all information in duplicate.
  3. Affix a recent color passport-sized photograph of yourself on the back of each copy of the form.
  4. Acquire a signature of the chief law enforcement officer of your county or your local sheriff. Don’t let this step scare you; this is a routine request. If you feel that your police chief or sheriff will not sign the Form 4 because of personal or political concerns with the second amendment, do not worry. You can bypass them by purchasing the silencer under your Limited Liability Company (LLC) or corporation, or under a trust. Read the trust section I posted next
  5. While you are at the station obtaining the required signature, ink up your fingers and get two copies of FBI fingerprint cards (FBI Form FD-258) that you will send in with the two duplicates of Form 4.
  6. Fill out the ATF Form 5330.20 (Certification of Compliance). This form does not have to be in duplicate.
  7. Place both completed copies of Form 4, the two copies of FBI fingerprint cards, and the completed Certification of Compliance form in an envelope, along with a check or money order (payable to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) for $200 and mail to the address listed on Form 4. We advise that you use a check and not a money order so you can see when the ATF cashes your check. This is a great way to confirm if the form actually arrived and is being processed. Otherwise, you may just be waiting for two to six months for approval, when, in fact, your paperwork never arrived.
  8. After the ATF approves Form 4, they will put a stamp on one of the two copies you sent them and then send it to the dealer where you purchased the silencer. The dealer will then notify you that the paperwork has returned and that the silencer is ready to pick up.

The second method, is a trust.

Obtain the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) from your dealer in duplicate. Some information should be pre-filled by your dealer, such as the dealer’s name and address, the model of the silencer you are purchasing, the overall length of the silencer, the caliber of the silencer, the serial number of the silencer, and the manufacturer’s information. Make sure the dealer signs the appropriate fields. Remember to complete all information in duplicate.
  1. Fill out the required information on the front of the form, including the name of your corporation or trust (not your own name) and address. Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the silencer. (Remember to print the name of your corporation or trust, not your own name, in section 15). Sign and date the back. Remember to complete all information in duplicate.
  2. Place both completed copies of Form 4 with a check or money order (payable to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) for $200 in an envelope, along with a copy of your Articles of Incorporation or trust paperwork, and mail to the address listed on Form 4. We advise that you use a check and not a money order so you can see when the ATF cashes your check. This is a great way to confirm if the form actually arrived and is being processed. Otherwise, you may just be waiting for two to six months for approval, when, in fact, your paperwork never arrived.
  3. After the ATF approves Form 4, they will put a stamp on one of the two copies you sent them and then send it to the dealer where you purchased the silencer. The dealer will then notify you that the paperwork has returned and that the silencer is ready to pick up.

Information credit to SilencerCo.

List of Suppressor manufacturers.

• Advanced Armament Corp.
  • AWC Systems Technology
  • Bowers
  • Elite Iron
  • Gemtech
  • Innovative Arms
  • Knight's Armament
  • Liberty Suppressors
  • OPS Inc.
  • SRT Arms
  • Silencerco Silencers
  • Surefire
  • SWR
  • Tactical Innovations, Inc.
  • Thunder Beast Arms
  • Yankee Hill Machine
Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here's my 30 cal can. It's a 762SD by AAC. It fits on my Rem 700 in 300 BLK:

And on my 5.56x45mm AR-15 SBR:

And here's my 22 caliber SWR Spectre on my Browning Buck Mark:

And it also threads onto my Savage MKII

Next? I don't know. Maybe a light 9mm can for my Glock and XD?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
I have three. Here is a picture of my YHM 5.56/.223 suppressor. I'll get some pics of my others.
Nice - are you happy with it? I hear people raggin on YHM because they're heavy but lots of folks say they're bulletproof.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
Nice - are you happy with it? I hear people raggin on YHM because they're heavy but lots of folks say they're bulletproof.
I love it. It is heavy but built tuff, they do now offer it in a titanium can just like my mine. I really like the quick detach from the flash suppressor so I can also run it on my M4 without any problem.
The only suppressor I have that Iím not a huge fan of is my Tactical Innovations Tac 65 .22 suppressor and only because Silencer Co now builds the Sparrow which in my opinion is a superior suppressor to any .22 suppressor on the market.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
The only suppressor I have that Iím not a huge fan of is my Tactical Innovations Tac 65 .22 suppressor and only because Silencer Co now builds the Sparrow which in my opinion is a superior suppressor to any .22 suppressor on the market.
Yeah, the Tac 65 is definitely not a super heavy duty design. I have the Spectre but I agree that I would probably go with the Sparrow if I had to do it again. SilencerCo is goign to offer upgraded internals for older Sparrows and Spectres so I'll probably take advantage of that.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brugger & Thomet Impuls II-A on my HK USP 9SD

Tactical Innovation Tac 65 .22 - Don't waste yout time or money buy a Silencer Co Sparrow if you are in the market for a .22 suppresor

Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for the second post's useful information!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
Xshark will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Xshark's Tacoma Gallery
If I get a can for my 5.56 AR (when I get THAT), will that suppressor work with .22 (if I get a .22 bolt conversion for my AR)?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
Xshark will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Xshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xshark View Post
If I get a can for my 5.56 AR (when I get THAT), will that suppressor work with .22 (if I get a .22 bolt conversion for my AR)?
Apparently so:
http://youtu.be/1coJ-j3mZ7Q
Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xshark View Post
Yes it will work however the .22 caliber round is very dirty (lead & carbon) and will make a mess of your 5.56 can. .22 suppressors can typically be taken apart to clean the internals easily.

I would not recommend shooting .22 rounds in a 5.56 suppressor unless the suppressor can be easily opened. My YHM Phantom for example is a sealed suppressor and would be useless if it ever got fouled up with lead from .22 rounds.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Resident Redneck
WhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WhiskeyDeltaTango's Tacoma Gallery
What's a good reason to tell the .gov why you need a silencer?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyDeltaTango View Post
Investment / Collector

Usually your shop will fill out that part on the forms.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyDeltaTango View Post
hearing protection i would assume
Old 02-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also, add Innovative Arms, Inc to the list of manufacturers
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Suppressors:
illegal in hawaii.

I thought you guys still used spears?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I thought you guys still used spears?
hence why suppressors are illegal!!