1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tree stand camo

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by longbow, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Dec 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Since I am semi-retired my play time is now, hit the woods alot, trying to get the best of critters.
    I wrote before that I was in need of a new set of camo, and yesterday I tried some new stuff out and thought I would pass my feelings on.
    Now I am a Mossy Oak fan, now I have nothing against Real Tree, or the others, matter of fact I still have a set of the original TreeBark and use it plus some of the others. But I believe where you hunt has alot to do with it.
    I tried out Mossy Oak treestand camo, and first found a tree, I went up two, a hickory, and beech. Now I did not hunt, just sat and waited. I had a fox take a leak below me and 3 does walk right by the tree. I was not up that high, stopped when the limbs began.
    I next got down and sat in two different spots, one area (open cattle field) was in a small valley, among some dead trees. Seen no deer movement but 11 cattle walked right to me and did not notice I was their. These cows in most cases have helped me when deer were in the area. They check them out so if you see them and they are eye balling something you got a "heads-up".
    The other spot was in a old cedar thicket, seen a nice 6 point and a doe, both came in down wind from me and walked the ridge some 40 yards out.
    Best thing of all the owner walked the ridgeline and walked right behind me. After he passed me I got up (not to scare the grap out of him) and called for him. He laughed and stated he did not see me.
    I am very impressed with the pattern, and will try it out in the up coming weeks during the season.
    I believe it is just as good on the ground as it is in a tree.
    My two cent worth.

2. Dec 4, 2008 at 11:10 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    walked right by, huh? lol i've done that before to my hunting buddies. a couple years ago i made a homemade ghille poncho. cut up some burlap sacks and sowed strips of it to a "3-D" camo cloth poncho. was sitting beside a stump not 5 yards from where my buddy walked past me and he never saw me...and he knew i was there somewhere, but missed me as he walked past.

i have mostly used realtree brands in the past and currently. when i started hunting, there was a realtree pattern called "all purpose". this is not the new HD stuff that is out, it was released after realtree brown, and realtree gray. stuff worked great. nice open & light pattern with some shadowing. primitive compared with the new stuff. fooled another of my friends with it back in the day. finally wore it out and had to make some bandanas out of it. i think most patterns out today will do just fine.

3. Dec 4, 2008 at 6:40 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cool experiences bow, sure helps us believe in our camo pattern when we trick a critter for sure. I sure do like the leafy wear too, where appropriate at least.:cool:

4. Dec 4, 2008 at 6:59 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    hey longbow, are you using the scentlok/scentblocker stuff? I was told that with that you can forget the wind and just hunt. anyone else use this?

5. Dec 5, 2008 at 5:45 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Yeah, I use the scent blocker stuff and have been for the past 5 years. I just now needed to replace it. It is not the cheapest items, but this time of year around here you can get it for at least half price. A local shop cut me a deal on a complete outfit.
    The set up is a little heavy, but it has a removeable inner vest, and I have never had an issue of getting cold.
    I will say the stuff works, you still need to be smart about things, but I have seen alot more deer wearing it than not.

6. Dec 8, 2008 at 4:04 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i love mossy oak gear..............thats about all i wear really. once in a while, i still throw on an old realtree shirt, but about 99% of the time....mossy oak for me. another thing im semi interested in is the newer military camo.......the digital stuff. my buddy has shirt, pants and jacket, and to be honest....from about 30 or 40 yards away, its hard as hell to tell exactly where he is, and this is both from a climber and from a blind. the digital blends pretty well into alot of backgrounds.

7. Dec 8, 2008 at 4:17 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    looked into it at the BX while in FL, and a buddie I hunt with (turkey) uses the Marine style.
    I see the Air Force uses the tiger strip pattern now, pretty neat looking. May give it a shot if I can locate some in my size.

8. Dec 8, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    i have both trestand camo for bow hunting, and the realtree ap for the cold season, i found they both work fantastic for multiple uses. When i had the the tree stand camo on works great obviously in the tree and in darker shady places , the realtree ap works pretty well on the forest floor and fields anywhere where the color goes neutral.

9. Dec 19, 2008 at 6:45 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    where do you guys get your stuff? im wearing a pair of coveralls thats probably the better part of 6 years old, if not more..I think this would be the final season for them. Its the older realtree hardwoods..Its not really blending in with what im hunting in to say the least.

edit: ive looked in cableas, and gone there, and they really dont have what im looking for

10. Dec 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    all my top end outfits are older than yours:D, so where to buy nowadays would escape me. I bought most my clothes at local sporting good stores that were in my area years ago.

If I were starting now to update my stuff, I would stay with local sporting shops if possible.

They will try to do good buisness, and work with the locals if there are products everyone wants as well, and we need to support the local small shop when possible.

Otherwise...Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain or even Wally world for certain items.....

11. Dec 19, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    cabelas.com
    or
    basspro.com
    always done good by me. if you need to return something, absolutly no problems

12. Dec 19, 2008 at 7:10 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    ive been to both, but still none really appealed to me. I need some kinda clothes that have green and brown pine needles(or something that looks close).

13. Dec 19, 2008 at 7:13 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    you should try the western pattern, used in colorado and areas of such

14. Dec 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    check bass pro again....................they have their bone dry bibs.........nice and warm, with 3 different patterns now. i was just there tonight, and i saw what you are looking for. even look at their mossy oak.........there is a couple of shades of green in it. i love mossy oak......very nice blend. new realtree hardwoods hd is pretty nice too......good shadowing if you hunt alot of timbers.

15. Dec 20, 2008 at 9:04 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    You may also want to hit the web sites of the makers, Mossy Oak, Real Tree plus the others.
    During off season they have sales and such. I personally but it from a local shop.
    good luck.

16. Dec 20, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    lucky dog....you live close to a gander mountain too....:p

17. Dec 20, 2008 at 9:11 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    no kiddin!!!:D

our closest gander mountain is kinda like our closest bass pro.............good long drive!!:D i still go though.......i can spend hours in bass pro!!

18. Dec 20, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    yep, me too will......about an hour and a half drive.......we always make a day of it when we go..........

always thought I should buy a sleeping bag and curl up in a corner and look like one of them manequins....just stay and call it home....when everyone left, it would be no problem to survive in there, dang they got everything you need, unlimited fishing gear, live fish and turtles for supper....grills to cook on and the hole bit.......:cool:

IDEA: film a 'Home Alone' in Bass Pro......that would be cool.........man I love that place!:D

19. Dec 20, 2008 at 9:27 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    my buddies dad got ran outta bass pro for fishing in the tank!!! seriously!!!:laugh:

20. Dec 20, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    Whats the problem sir? I'm just trying out this new pole before I buy it......kinda like trying on shoes before you buy them........:D

Products Discussed in

To Top