Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

If you had to pick: .45 or 9mm

View Poll Results: If you only owned one gun what would it shoot?
9mm 168 44.80%
.45 207 55.20%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
That's why 1911s were being reissued.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyweapons/a/M9.htm
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
Resident Redneck
WhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WhiskeyDeltaTango's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
OP mentioned for home defense, not for plinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
If you only owned one gun for Home Defense and recreation which size ammunition would you prefer? .45 or 9mm?

ONLY THESE TWO CHOICES!
Hmmm
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
ultimate stop power tauras judge or the S&W variant... .45 long or 410 shot shells
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
feldman28 is on a distinguished road

Name: chris
feldman28's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 1911. Best gun I have. Lots if money in it
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #25

Its the s&w governor. Just do got it shoot 410 45 lc and 45 acp
Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
I KEEEEEL YOU

Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldman28 View Post
Its the s&w governor. Just do got it shoot 410 45 lc and 45 acp
ive shot the governor, .45 long didnt kick as much as i was expecting but the 410 buckshot the guy loaded for me.... kicked like a mule
Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #27
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyDeltaTango View Post
Wrong! shoot em til they drop!

9mm: more rounds in the mag = more rounds down range quicker = more rounds on target.

shot placement > "knock down power"
Most sensible post in this entire thread of ridiculousness

I've said it before and I'll say it again

Caliber should be very low on your list of reasons for purchasing a particular firearm

Adrenaline, crack, and meth do funny things to the human body, and believing a .45 is a 1 shot instant man stopper is just foolish

Buy a reliable gun, practice with it until you can shoot it proficiently under stress WITHOUT the sights

A well placed mag of "smaller" rounds is 100% more effective than poorly placed large rounds
Old 02-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #28

I keep it loaded with. Pdx1 or 000 buck
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #29
Hittn' easy steet on mud tires
Jez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jez's Tacoma Gallery
9mm is more prevalent....oh and everyone talking about 9mm not being enough stopping power...I guarantee your ass gets shot with a 9mm and you will stop. 13 rounds in two different mags is plenty to drop anyone!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #30
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
Not as standard issue weapon. Read number 7. From the USMC.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=311908
Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #31
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Blackened Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyDeltaTango View Post
Wrong! shoot em til they drop!

9mm: more rounds in the mag = more rounds down range quicker = more rounds on target.

shot placement > "knock down power"

I am going to open them up like a zipper, no question about that. That being said if more than person is a target while one is on the ground the other will be on his way and I can get back to other should round one not finish the job. Most importantly being armed is what's up.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Most sensible post in this entire thread of ridiculousness

I've said it before and I'll say it again

Caliber should be very low on your list of reasons for purchasing a particular firearm

Adrenaline, crack, and meth do funny things to the human body, and believing a .45 is a 1 shot instant man stopper is just foolish

Buy a reliable gun, practice with it until you can shoot it proficiently under stress WITHOUT the sights

A well placed mag of "smaller" rounds is 100% more effective than poorly placed large rounds
Well put, also being comfortable with what you shoot is important as well.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #33
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
If you only owned one gun for Home Defense and recreation which size ammunition would you prefer? .45 or 9mm? (snip)
Despite what others say, neither will reliably take down a person with one shot unless that shot is accurate (hits a vital region of the body). And, if the shot is accurate, either choice will do the job very nicely. With that in mind, the 9mm is simply more practical. However, if your primary goal is to impress others with your big gun, the .45 may be more desirable. In either case, I'd strongly suggest firing more than once to ensure a successful conclusion.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
... Sub'd ...
Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #35
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #36
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
However, if your primary goal is to impress others with your big gun, the .45 may be more desirable.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
2011 TRD Sport 4x4
Junebug55210 will become famous soon enoughJunebug55210 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
Junebug55210's Tacoma Gallery
45 for home protection but it will cost more to just shoot old beer cans with. I have the g27 40 cal. price is cheap enough to shoot and still has some stopping power.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #38
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i only have two pistols with me at my home.

glock 21SF (.45) and a sig 226 (the 9). i shoot them back to back frequently. i am much more accurate with the Sig. i think it is the recoil..or less recoil.

either way..you cant go wrong. i only bought the glock because my brother entire swat team carries it. i wanted to see what the fuss was about.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #39
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
You can't really compare the two, the .45 has better one shot stopping power. Some people myself included don't like the recoil of the .45. I have owned several, they were fun to shoot, just wasn't very good with em. I really enjoy shooting the 9mm, very accurate and relatively cheap to shoot. If I had to pick one to carry on duty, I would probably look into the .40 or learn to handle the .45 better.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i only have two pistols with me at my home.

glock 21SF (.45) and a sig 226 (the 9). i shoot them back to back frequently. i am much more accurate with the Sig. i think it is the recoil..or less recoil.

either way..you cant go wrong. i only bought the glock because my brother entire swat team carries it. i wanted to see what the fuss was about.
Both quality firearms, good choices. I have a SF21 as well and like the fact that it is a .45 ACP and not a .45 GAP, that way all my .45 ammo can go in any of my .45's.