Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

What's a 1911?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
It's basically the base design from Colt that was put into production in 1911 with the Colt 1911 .45 ACP. Used by the U.S. Army until around the 1980's I believe but still used by some operators. Simple and great design that has been altered slightly and re-used by many pistol manufacturers.

1911 Colt .45 ACP

*EDIT* *John Browning design*
Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
USMC ROB is on a distinguished road

Marines: mechanic /wrecker driver
Name: ROB
USMC ROB's Tacoma Gallery
The 1911 is john brownings pistol design that he made to house the 45acp cartridge he sold the design to colt who produced it anintroduced it to the army in like 1909 when they were looking for a new service pistol it went into service in march 1911 hence the model name of 1911
Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
USMC ROB is on a distinguished road

Marines: mechanic /wrecker driver
Name: ROB
USMC ROB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
It's basically the base design from Colt that was put into production in 1911 with the Colt 1911 .45 ACP. Used by the U.S. Army until around the 1980's I believe but still used by some operators. Simple and great design that has been altered slightly and re-used by many pistol manufacturers.

1911 Colt .45 ACP
and yes still used by many operators and was taken out of service in 1985 replaced by the beretta m9
Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
IMO it is the best hand gun around. I loved my 1911 .45 and sold it to buy an FNP .40.. I REALLY like my FNP .40, but miss my 1911 more.

Here is the wiki on the 1911 hand gun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1911
Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
The Gospel according to John(Moses Browning)

Quote:
1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it, and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it, and these profaners didst try and fit more rounds of ammunition into the magazines than the holy number of seven, appointed for the .45.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. a

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit, the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation b by the followers of John.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post

1911 Colt .45 ACP
actually a john m. browning design...
Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Devious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevious6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: COL, USA (Ret.)
Name: Mark
Devious6's Tacoma Gallery
This is my 1943 Remington Rand produced M1911A1 - still shoots like a dream. When I entered the Army, we were still using them and hated the transition to the M9 Beretta. With a tight barrel, nothing beats the M1911, IMHO.

My concealed carry is this: a Kimber Ultra CDP II, 3" barrel in .45

I've never found another style frame that I am more comfortable with - or more accurate with.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
I expect some people to jump on this one, lol. I am new to guns and it seems that the 1911 is a basic design? I've seen some by Colt, Kimber, etc.....

What is a 1911?
Designed by John M Browning over 100 years ago

It is IMO the best handgun design ever
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TacoBuz View Post
Designed by John M Browning over 100 years ago

It is IMO the best handgun design ever
I agree 100%. I threw this out somewhere else in a handgun thread, to all the Glock and XD fanboys, those designs will never see over a hundred year run. Funny thing is that Browning actually thought his "high power" design was better than the 1911.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
I agree 100%. Funny thing is that Browning actually thought his "high power" design was better than the 1911.
there are a lot of people who agree with him too
Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
there are a lot of people who agree with him too
True, but I'll wager there's more that don't.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
ikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud of

Marines: 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company
Name: Andrew
ikillterrorists's Tacoma Gallery
1911's are awesome. You can definitely see the difference in quality between brands though. But it's not the best for carry due to the size and weight.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
True, but I'll wager there's more that don't.
i'd bet most people who dont havent used one either
Old 02-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
What is a 1911?
Only the best firearm to ever grace God's green earth!!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Only the best firearm to ever grace God's green earth!!
meh
Old 02-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
battleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant future

Army: 11 Bang Bang Squad leader, 25th ID, with 4 vacations to the exotic lands of the middle east.
Name: David
battleyota's Tacoma Gallery
A 1911, well sonny, A 1911 can be your best friend, and it will always be your enemies worst nightmare. Nothing says better than a old fashion designed pistol that pumps out .45 into the flesh of an unsuspecting foe. You feel the vibration through your bones as your pull that trigger. then comes the deafening sound of Pure Awesomeness. As you look downrange you will spot the hand of death and its creation of destruction......"Of course you have to hit the damn target"
Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
All I know is that, when we switched to the M9 in the '80's, my range accuracy fell off and has never been the same. Don't get me wrong--I own a Beretta and like it just fine, but I still can't hit where I'm aiming as well with it as with the 1911. Helluva gun.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
DING0 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Parole Officer
Name: Kyle
DING0's Tacoma Gallery
This best type of gun ever.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #20

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i'd bet most people who dont havent used one either
Prolly true as well. IMO the trigger pull is not very good for a single action pistol, (on the couple I've fired), cause of the magazine disconnect safety. And don't forget that pesky hammer bite, which, of course, can/has been cured by a "combat" style hammer.