1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ultimate Home Defense Handgun?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by jeremy_283, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Feb 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I believe a real shot gun is the way to go here. I do however have a gp100 in the night stand.

2. Feb 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

You're asleep...you're awakened by a crash in the living room

You shouldn't prepare to have to "decide" which gun to take...making decisions = lost time

For most of you...absolutely...with a forearm mounted light...sit in your bedroom and call the police...if the door opens blind the dirtbag and if necessary, shoot him

Shotguns typically do NOT make good building clearing weapons just because of their length

Most of you are not trained to clear a building...but will do so anyways...a shotgun is NOT the tool for that job

3. Feb 19, 2012 at 4:19 AM
    FirsTaco

FirsTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Reading, MA
    Vehicle:
    '22 Ford Bronco Badlands

Ya the 1911 is there jic, but the 590a1 is always the go to. The two bedrooms I care about are door to door so I'm not clearing shit (especially here in MA).

To your other point about 'most of you are not trained" LEO's are not the only ones who know how to get shit done (no offense). Ya my 8 yrs as an MP helps me but I know a ton of grunts that can clear a building just as good or better than any LEO.

4. Feb 19, 2012 at 4:42 AM
    CSCHOL

CSCHOL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    W. Michigan
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 TRD OR
    Stocker
    I love the concept. But its not for me, I'm a 1911 man. I would certainly buy one for my wife to carry in her purse or car. Reason: most encounters take place in 21 feet or less and she is no quick draw artist, though one hell of a shot. Like the "judge" I feel the 410 shot shell will compensate for her lack of speed and accuracy lost due to stress and surprise. Is it the ultimate as the OP asked? IMO no, I think a shotgun in 12 Guage with a short barrel that is easily maneuvered is the best choice for my home based on size, proximity to other houses, and layout.

5. Feb 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have 5 lights at work.

SL20 in the car
    Stinger DS HP for belt utility (held away from body)
    Gladius With Seoul upgrade as a backup for handgun or utility (held away from body for searchng or with gun for shooting.
    Surefire X300 on pistol (for shooting)
    Surefire Scout on rifle

Studies show the majority of officers will panic and drop their light and hold the firearm with 2 hands when shooting starts.

Ken Good of Strategos has some cool classes and some videos of overviews of his hand held plus weapon mounted searching techniques he developed both during his time as a Surefire instructor and tweaked afterward with lots of force on force testing. I ususlaly get lazy and just use the weapon mounted lights during clearing.

A laser for a pistol is like a red dot for a rifle... it allows you to focus on the target instead of a front sight... downside is is does not work well during the day.

6. Feb 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Getting lazy in training for something like this means a greater chance of death. Just saying.

Really when it comes to gun for defense it comes down to how comfortable you are with it. A .50 Desert Eagle to the dome is pretty sure to kill anybody but if you're afraid to pull the trigger due to its recoil then you've just hesitated and possibly killed yourself or the one's you are trying to protect. If you shoot someone with a .22 then the chances of them living is much greater because almost anyone can pick up a .22 and shoot it comfortably. Odds are you will not hesitate and will be more likely to hit your target and incapacitate them. There is really no "Ultimate" HD gun, it is subjective to each person, what they can handle and what they have trained with.

7. Feb 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    that round has a better chance of fragmenting than any standard 9mm/45/40 ect round

that's why 5.56 is a good choice for HD with the right ammo

ballistic tipped 5.7 rounds would be an excelent choice to prevent over pennatration

8. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    01TacoBuz

01TacoBuz Well-Known Member

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    K&N drop in filter, URD rear simulator, Deck plate mod/home made CAI, No rear cat, MagnaFlow muffler
    The ultimate home defence gun is the one that you shoot the best

9. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ballistip tipped 5.7 is a joke IMO. It won't penetrate soft body armor (the good thing about 5.7) and it produces tiny wound channels that fail to reach vital organs in less than ideal circumstances. For a handgun the two wounding mechanisms are permanant wound channel depth and size. 9mm is better in both ways.

Remember this rule of thumb... any round that has adequate penetration in tissue will also likely penetrate every interior wall of your home.

10. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.

Products Discussed in

To Top