Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

SR-15 or AR-15

Old 02-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
SR-15 or AR-15

So I'm headed home on mid tour leave here in a few weeks and I'm doing some preimptive research. I wanna go buy a new rifle and I'm looking at either SR-15 or an AR-15.
Now I've shot the SR-15 here in country before and absolutely love it, and thinking about getting it as kind of just a distance shooter. But then I'm thinking about finding a nice AR to just mod out to be like my M4 here in country and have it to use in tactical competitions and stuff.

Just a little stuck between the two.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
battleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant future

Army: 11 Bang Bang Squad leader, 25th ID, with 4 vacations to the exotic lands of the middle east.
Name: David
battleyota's Tacoma Gallery
AK-47, cause when the Reds starting to invade, you're gonna have a shit ton of ammo taking them off from the dead commie bastards.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
All those moments will be lost in time
GVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG, 2 Brigade, 82 Airborne Div Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition (RSTA) Squadron
Name: Guy
GVY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne09 View Post
So I'm headed home on mid tour leave here in a few weeks and I'm doing some preimptive research. I wanna go buy a new rifle and I'm looking at either SR-15 or an AR-15.
Now I've shot the SR-15 here in country before and absolutely love it, and thinking about getting it as kind of just a distance shooter. But then I'm thinking about finding a nice AR to just mod out to be like my M4 here in country and have it to use in tactical competitions and stuff.

Just a little stuck between the two.
Hey what's up Airborne! How's the deployment going? I used to be up at Wainwright a few years ago and I don't miss that place at all. Anchorage was nice, though.

I have an shorty AR15 and love it but I'm really looking at making an M16 7.62 platform like the SASS. I guess my answer is, split the difference. Go for the SR15 but make it 7.62.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
CSCHOL is a jewel in the roughCSCHOL is a jewel in the roughCSCHOL is a jewel in the rough

Marines:
Name: Chad
CSCHOL's Tacoma Gallery
If it were me, deciding on another AR type rifle. First my wife would use one that I have already at shoot me. The best part about an AR is that it is modular, meaning the configurations are endless. You mentioned that you wanted long range capability and also a tactical for competition? Those are two different schools of thought. No worries though. You can purchase an M4 style carbine with a light 16 inch barrel, flat top upper receiver adjustable stock....for your tactical needs and build or buy a free floated barreled upper receiver from a host of sources, mount a nice scope on it and take care of your long range shooting needs...
Old 02-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVY View Post
Hey what's up Airborne! How's the deployment going? I used to be up at Wainwright a few years ago and I don't miss that place at all. Anchorage was nice, though.

I have an shorty AR15 and love it but I'm really looking at making an M16 7.62 platform like the SASS. I guess my answer is, split the difference. Go for the SR15 but make it 7.62.

Deployment is going better this time around, so no complains here.
Anchorage, well its till Anchorage as far as I know lol

But splitting the difference ain't a bad idea. I never thought about that.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Conceal Carry
slodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant future

Name: Steven
slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
[/QUOTE]

who makes this upper?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodc4 View Post

who makes this upper?
Model 1 sales
Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
All those moments will be lost in time
GVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shedGVY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG, 2 Brigade, 82 Airborne Div Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition (RSTA) Squadron
Name: Guy
GVY's Tacoma Gallery
Like CSCHOL was saying, it's a modular platform. You can always make two separate upper receivers and switch them out with the bottom for whatever you want to use it for.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Xshark will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Xshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleyota View Post
AK-47, cause when the Reds starting to invade, you're gonna have a shit ton of ammo taking them off from the dead commie bastards.
Using that reasoning, there will be plenty of AK GUNS around as well, so no need to buy one!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
PhillipSwanner is on a distinguished road
Marines: Retired, 1st Bn 5th Mar
Name: Phillip
PhillipSwanner's Tacoma Gallery
I never thought of it like that. Sweet. Maybe I don't need a lot off ammo after all. Thanks.