Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Thinking of buying my first firearm- opinions?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Please don't tell me you'd spend $700 on a Glock!

Those things are a dime a dozen on the secondary market.

Every 21yr old buys a Glock 'BECAUSE THERE(sic) BADASS!...COD tells them that's the coolest thing in the world next to an AR15 festooned with tacrails and a collapsible buttstock and a foregrip....then eventually finds out there are much better choices out there depending on use....thus, the secondary market is FULL of Glocks.
If you have to have one, buy used.
Hahaha no thats not the price of just the gun!
I have to pay for:
Gun
Ammo
Registration
10% sales tax
Hsc test
"beginner class" (not required, but the more education the better)

I dont want to buy online due to the fact i want to keep my local businesses open
Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #22
redes is a glorious beacon of lightredes is a glorious beacon of lightredes is a glorious beacon of lightredes is a glorious beacon of lightredes is a glorious beacon of lightredes is a glorious beacon of light
redes's Tacoma Gallery
XD 9mm is an awesome choice. Excellent quality, ergonomics, parts and accessory availability, and brand recognition (for resale value). The Glocks and XDs are pretty much interchangeable in terms of quality and performance, pick what feels best. If possible shoot them both first. The Glock has a lower bore axis which can reduce felt recoil. The XD has a more upright grip angle which most shooters prefer. The Ruger SR9 might be a great choice. They are a bit ugly but they have the low bore axis and and upright grip and an unbeatable price if you shop around. The Walther PPQ is a bit more of a boutique pick but it has excellent reviews and a surprisingly competitive price point. Those four would be at the top of my shopping list if I were in the market for a new polymer framed gun.

Ammo quality is generally a get what you pay for proposition. However, for practice purposes, inexpensive is fine. If you have a squib or two, or a few out of spec rounds, it wont hurt the gun, don't panic keep the gun pointed in a safe direction for 90 seconds or so then practice your tap-rack-bang procedure (jam clearing procedure). The only caveat: stay away from steel or aluminum cased stuff. Steel casing is the cheapest of the cheap, but it can be hell on the firearm internals. If there is any question about the case, open the box and look at the ammo, the case should look like brass.

Grain is a measure of weight. 7000 grains to a lb. In general the total projectile energy at the barrel is similar between like ammunition products, some are hotter, some a little softer. But energy is a function of velocity and mass. A 115 grain bullet will travel faster than a 147 grain bullet. For practice purposes you can use what ever is cheap but there may be a difference between point of impact between different weight bullets and there will likely be a subjective difference in felt recoil. For defensive purposes heavy is generally better, because of better penetration.

As far as etiquette, just ask the procedure for changing targets/cease fires, etc, and always observe basic gun safety rules. If you are doing a class they will likely be very good about prompting you on safety, that is their greatest concern too. If you are unsure just ask.

Have fun shopping, buying, and learning.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
Get a good 22, easy and cheap to shoot. It is nice to see how accurate you can be as well as providing a good way to become comfortable with firearms. This is obviously not the preferred choice for home defense but your girlfriend will truely appreciate the lack of kick. I am a huge fan of the Browning Buckmark series, but that is just my opinion.

Then, when you are sure you want a home protection piece, I suggest a full size 9mm. No polymer or alloys as you will not be carrying. The gun will have less kick than the lighter guns with polymer or alloy frames and will be more accurate for most people. Again, this is my opinion and if you were in CT, I would let you try them all (once I verified you were a safe handler of course).

There is already a lot of good advice here and you seem intelligent so think this through. Good luck in your search and always be careful with your guns.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #24
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend going to a shooting range and renting a few guns to see what you like. My first gun was a Rugar P89, which I love. But turned out that I'm a much better shot with my .38 special by far.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #25
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Every 21yr old buys a Glock 'BECAUSE THERE(sic) BADASS!...COD tells them that's the coolest thing in the world next to an AR15 festooned with tacrails and a collapsible buttstock and a foregrip....then eventually finds out there are much better choices out there depending on use....thus, the secondary market is FULL of Glocks.
omg we agree again

cept I LIKE Glocks
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #26
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Colt #1 Springfield #2
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #27
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Quote:

Those kids are usually the tacticool condo commandos.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I am really glad that I posted here, there is a wealth of great information in this thread.

In CA, all firearms have to be sold with either a trigger or cable lock. Do you guys think that is sufficient? Once again, I have no children. If a gun safe is in order, any recommendations?

The last thing I feel I need to express is the fact that I am a little nervous about purchasing this. I am very responsible and safe ( I work with deadly levels of electricity daily) but I still have a "feeling" of minor dread about owning a firearm. I am almost starting to feel like it's a fear that I need to overcome. Am I nuts for thinking this? My parents are kind of anti-gun, so that might be some residual feelings nagging, but being almost 30, owning my own house etc. I am confident in my decisions.

Thanks for listening.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #29
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Depending on what you get it might have a cable lock or like my 1911 an ils. Which is built into the gun, you lock it by the main spring housing.
Safe wise if you have no kids then don't worry about it. Cable lock or ils is ca compliant and fine.

Don't be nervous. My mom was against guns Til I brought one home, she's fine now.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #30
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractured View Post
I am really glad that I posted here, there is a wealth of great information in this thread.

In CA, all firearms have to be sold with either a trigger or cable lock. Do you guys think that is sufficient? Once again, I have no children. If a gun safe is in order, any recommendations?

The last thing I feel I need to express is the fact that I am a little nervous about purchasing this. I am very responsible and safe ( I work with deadly levels of electricity daily) but I still have a "feeling" of minor dread about owning a firearm. I am almost starting to feel like it's a fear that I need to overcome. Am I nuts for thinking this? My parents are kind of anti-gun, so that might be some residual feelings nagging, but being almost 30, owning my own house etc. I am confident in my decisions.

Thanks for listening.
a trigger lock or cable lock???... the only thing that protects you from is accessing it when you need it since you don't have kids, i'd put it somewhere you can get to it easily, ..for home defense keep loaded in a holster (that covers the trigger to keep things "safe") somewhere.. drawer, etc, ..or you can even get a quick access safe for the beside if that makes you more comfortable...

i didn't grow up around firearms really, so i was a little nervous at first, but like anything, you introduce yourself to them slowly, take training, and practice good safety, ..and you'll find yourself liking it more and more - just make sure you budget for "future" purchases...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #31
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
Which gun is best ?

Only you will be able to decide this

The gun has to feel good to you in your hand, otherwise you wont practice with it to become safe and comfy with it

For safe and fairly quick access, take a look at this for storage
http://www.gunvault.com/

Keep in mind it`s not a safe, it can be picked up and taken very fast if it is not bolted down, in a case that your home is burglarized, but it will be good to have if you have kids or ever have anyone visiting that has kids

Good luck
Old 03-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #32
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks for listening.
Mark my words. Once you go to the range and shoot it, all your nervousness will go away. Someone already mentioned shoot & see targets- get some. Once your rounds hit the target and you see the color change, you will grin ear to ear. Instant gradification.

Your choice of the XD is a great choice. It offers many safety features to help you out. A loaded chamber indicator on the slide, another indicator on the rear of the slide if the gun is cocked, plus the trigger and rear grip safety. Plus it's an overall quality gun.

As far as storing the gun goes. Your gun will come with a case. It is lockable, if you feel the need to lock it up, get a lock for it. My 2 cents is load it and tuck it away some place only you and your girlfriend know about. That way, if the need should arise, you can grab the gun and be ready. You don't have kids around so that is not an issue.

Oh, good luck and enjoy yourself. Have fun at the range.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #33
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TacoBuz View Post
Which gun is best ?

Only you will be able to decide this

The gun has to feel good to you in your hand, otherwise you wont practice with it to become safe and comfy with it

For safe and fairly quick access, take a look at this for storage
http://www.gunvault.com/

Keep in mind it`s not a safe, it can be picked up and taken very fast if it is not bolted down, in a case that your home is burglarized, but it will be good to have if you have kids or ever have anyone visiting that has kids

Good luck
+1 for Gunvault...fits easily under the bed, can be bolted to the floor and is quick and easy to access.
In re feeling nervous...that's good.
Respect the potential for harm.
Now learn and practice.
Another reason I sold my Glocks...the only safety (besides my brain) is the trigger safety, which I never felt comfortable with.
Springfield XD has a grip safety in addition to the trigger, which is a much better choice IMO>
1911's go farther than that.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
omg we agree again

cept I LIKE Glocks
Anybody feel that tremor?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #35
FPS-a-holic

Thanks again guys. I will definitely look into that gun vault.

I found a nearby range that offers a first time class, that comes with 25 minutes of "class time"' .22lr gun rental, 50 rounds of .22 ammo, hearing/eye protection, and 2 targets. It's 50.00 so I feel it's worth it. I am going to do it on Sunday with the gf.

I also am close to my goal of the amount of $$$ I want to save to buy my gun too
Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #36
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks again guys. I will definitely look into that gun vault.

I found a nearby range that offers a first time class, that comes with 25 minutes of "class time"' .22lr gun rental, 50 rounds of .22 ammo, hearing/eye protection, and 2 targets. It's 50.00 so I feel it's worth it. I am going to do it on Sunday with the gf.

I also am close to my goal of the amount of $$$ I want to save to buy my gun too
good on you for signing up for a class... learn safe handling, some mechanics, gain some confidence, and will be fun learning experience!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #37
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Colt 1911 Government model. Or you can buy something more affordable and hope for the best when they come through your door. (but I bought mine in 91 when they only raped you a little, unlike today) I recently picked myself up a S&W 38 spl. revolver to go along with my 45.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of buying my first firearm- opinions?-100234537-1-l.jpg   Thinking of buying my first firearm- opinions?-s-w-38.jpg  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #38
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
(snip) have decided I am going to purchase my first handgun. (snip) My girlfriend will also be shooting with me from time to time. (snip)
Surprised nobody has asked, but are you left or right handed? What about your girlfriend? Not all firearms support lefties and even fewer are ambidextrous (safety, mag release, etc). The latter is important if your girlfriend favors one hand while you favor another. This applies to us (wife & myself), which is one reason why we selected Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm) subcompacts.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #39
FPS-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Surprised nobody has asked, but are you left or right handed? What about your girlfriend? Not all firearms support lefties and even fewer are ambidextrous (safety, mag release, etc). The latter is important if your girlfriend favors one hand while you favor another. This applies to us (wife & myself), which is one reason why we selected Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm) subcompacts.
We are both right handed.

My foreman is bringing in his g21 for me to look at. He is really trying to sell me on a glock. He has a few different guns, but he really likes his glock. It will give me a chance to really take a look at it and hold it. He said "a springfield or kimber is something you show to your friends. A glock is something you show to your enemies."

I still feel that a .45 is a bit ambitious as my first gun. I would like a 9mm first and then upgrade. I am not afraid of the recoil, i just feel its the natural progression.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #40
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
(snip) My foreman is bringing in his g21 for me to look at. He is really trying to sell me on a glock. (snip) I still feel that a .45 is a bit ambitious as my first gun. I would like a 9mm first and then upgrade. (snip)
Glocks are very popular, so you can't really go wrong with that. At the same time, NATO (USA, Europe, etc) has standardized around the 9mm round. In fact, a 9mm Beretta (the 92F or 92FS), designated the M9 or M9A1, is currently the standard pistol of the United States Navy, Army, and Air Force.