Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Thinking of buying my first firearm- opinions?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #101
Pit Snipe 1997 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Main Propulsion Engineer
Name: Scott
Pit Snipe 1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractured View Post
Hey guys,

I have been reading a lot of threads on this site, and speaking with friends/ co-workers who are gun owners and have decided I am going to purchase my first handgun. It's mostly to put some holes in paper with the guys, but also for home defense .

I live in a really good area, and don't feel threatened, but my whole life I have wondered "what if?". I have never been robbed or anything like that, and obviously hope I never am in the future.

I will NOT be carrying, as I live in CA and have no desire to do so.

I like to think of myself as a mature, intelligent, adult with a good amount of common sense.

My girlfriend will also be shooting with me from time to time.

I have no children, (it's just me and my gf)

I need some opinions from the experts here on tw.

I was thinking of the Springfield xd 9mm, do you guys think this is a good starter gun?

What is a good reputable brand for 9mm ammo? What is the difference on the "grain"?

I have been reading as much as I can on gun safety, in preparation for my handgun safety certificate but I want to be as educated as possible before I make my purchase- does anyone know of any online resources? I've searched " first time gun owner" etc. But most sites want to give you advice on what gun to buy.

Last but not least, is there any rules/ etiquette for the shooting range? I've only been one time about 10 years ago. I will be doing a first time class at the local range before I purchase, but I do not want to make any range faux pas.

Thanks for reading, your opinions are appreciated!
I have a 1911 45 acp and an Xd45 service and a beretta 92sb 9mm and a tactical shotty. If its for home defense get the xd but go with the 45acp. if your new at the sport i strongly advise you to take a firearms course. Im a weapons instructor and see many people who are in my classes that seem to think they know more then they do. its humbling to them to find out that their not where they think they are. the course is only going to benefit you.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #102
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
I definitely recommend a flashlight over a laser sight. In my opinion laser sights are useless. Mainly because they do not help you identify anything. And even though you're aiming by laser, your natural impulse is to bring the gun up in front of your eyes as if you were aiming by the sights. Well when looking from the opposite end, criminals now have something to aim at in the dark when they see your laser, and what is behind that laser? Most likely your head, or at best your body!
so....you are agreeing with me? right?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #103
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
Yes. I just saw your comment and it reminded me of the many salesmen at the shops around here who PUSH laser sights like the Crimson Trace. One said that the advantage to a laser sight is that when they see it, they'll recognize what it is and run away without having to fire a shot. Well here's my probably warped up opinion on that: if I'm gonna shoot something, I can't stand a moving target! Because if someone is in my house uninvited, especially at a time like late at night when my family is home and there is potential for them to be involved, I will do everything to the best of my ability to make sure they do not leave alive. Now that may sound like the arrogant, early-20s college student coming out in me, but I'm tired of watching the news and seeing where some home invader stole a bunch of stuff from someone's house, or worse, raped and killed someone. I had a guy say in a gun debate in one of my classes (he was anti-guns) that "none of his possessions in his house were worth another person's life", which I somewhat agree with. But the problem is, I have no way of knowing whether or not his intentions stop with my tv or just a little money, or if they really want to cause harm to my family. And I don't think they're going to sit down with you over a cup of coffee to discuss it either. My job as a protective home-owner, and as a future husband and father, is to assume the worst and do whatever it takes to prevent it. My CWP instructor once told us "it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6." and I think that's the truest thing I've ever heard when it comes to self defense. Sorry I just had to rant there.
You should ask that hippy in your class this question: is the criminal's life worth more than your familys life? If he says yes to that question, then you are speak with someone who's moral compass is completely disorted, and someone who is never wrong.

Ever since i have been able to own a weapon, i have been of the feeling that it is better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.

Also tell him without firearms, America and his right to open his dam mouth about guns wouldnt even exist.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #104
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznutx View Post
not sure if you have Academy Sports, but they have 100 winchester 9mm 115grain for 21.99 , and so far everytime i open it it has actually 103-106 bullets
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho? View Post
How is that even possible? The foam trays hold 50 each, rows are 5x10.

Or look into a rock island 1911 9mm I know a few people that swears by rock island. I am actually thinking of picking one up. Or another 1911 in .45
it was a loose box that says 100, but each time i open it's more than 100 like a few
Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #105
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Walther PPQ,Glock 19,Smith & Wesson MP9.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #106
.45%er

Army:
^^and then follow up with, (in a low whisper with a smile on your face and wide eyes), and if u dont shut up, I Will eat you soul
Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #107
2bnb driver is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
2bnb driver's Tacoma Gallery
Why i would never use a 22 for self defense. Worth watching.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGjWxsiDuw
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #108
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bnb driver View Post
Why i would never use a 22 for self defense. Worth watching.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGjWxsiDuw
... ^^^ ... The guy shot himself 5 times with a single shot, bolt action rifle ... ...

This goes in the WTF thread ...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #109
cluznar is on a distinguished road
cluznar's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of buying my first firearm

For home defense and range a Stoeger Cougar 9mm is great. Low recoil, nice trigger, accurate, dependable.

You might look at Bersa 9mm's also -- dependable guns
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #110
Thighmaster is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic, Nurse 5502d USAH, 352d CSH
Thighmaster's Tacoma Gallery
If you are serious about home defense, tactical shotgun is the best choice... safer and more effective. Keep your handgun for concealed carry in public and for posting snapshots in the TW forum.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #111
andy2003 will become famous soon enough

Name: Andy
andy2003's Tacoma Gallery
WTF I read through six pages trying to find what you went with did I miss it? You go with a 17? You got lots of great advice here. I'm from WV which means we are basically born with a gun in the crib lol! But seriously best advice I was ever given from my grandfather about guns is they are always loaded and demand to be treated that way! I don't care if you see some one clear the chamber double check it yourself! I'm a huge 1911 fan I've got a Springfield mil spec 45 and my everyday carry purely because of size and discreteness is a keltec 380. By everyday I mean I went to church today and had it in my pocket. I believe the freak in Colorado showed once again you never I mean never know when some Ahole woke up with plans to take innocent people out. Stay safe enjoy your weapon respect it and it will serve you well. Oh Walmart has cool little safe you have to put in four digit code on key pad to open doesn't cost much at all.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #112
Catbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shedCatbone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Catbone's Tacoma Gallery
I used to teach NRA CCW classes, mostly to people with no prior experience. My .02:

Most of the advice you are getting in this thread is analogous to you asking what your first car should be, and everyone says you should buy Ferrari or Lambo.

If your first gun is for you AND your gf, you have no business even thinking about semi-autos. Unless she has exceptional strength and hand size for a woman, a semi will give her nothing but trouble. Consider a Ruger SP101 .357. Try to find an older used one without a safety. The fewer controls on your defense gun, the better.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #113
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbone View Post
Try to find an older used one without a safety. The fewer controls on your defense gun, the better.
DISAGREE in this case even more so. This is the guys first gun he should get one with a saftey. If he feels the need to get another without a saftey in the future then he can feel free. But for someone new to guns and shooting having and using saftey is highly recommended.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #114
.45%er

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbone View Post
I used to teach NRA CCW classes, mostly to people with no prior experience. My .02:

Most of the advice you are getting in this thread is analogous to you asking what your first car should be, and everyone says you should buy Ferrari or Lambo.

If your first gun is for you AND your gf, you have no business even thinking about semi-autos. Unless she has exceptional strength and hand size for a woman, a semi will give her nothing but trouble. Consider a Ruger SP101 .357. Try to find an older used one without a safety. The fewer controls on your defense gun, the better.
glock has 3 safety's. The most important one being your finger