Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

External mag issue with Savage Axis xp. help?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
State of Mind
808Raider is on a distinguished road

808Raider's Tacoma Gallery
External mag issue with Savage Axis xp. help?

just got a new savage axis xp 30-06 and took it out to the range today to sight it in. it has the 4+1 external mag which when put in it clips in with the clip towards the barrell and away from the stock. after every time i would fire a round the side of the mag closer the stock would pop out a little bit so it wouldnt reload a new round without me clicking the mag back in. frustrating and I am by no means a firearms expert so im not sure whats wrong but i know it probably shouldn't do that on a brand new rifle. tried to jam it in there but its in there flush where its supposed to go. it would still pop out every time i would fire. heres a pic too which shows what the mag looks like after fired. maybe you guys know what could be the issue? bad mag?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the rifle from its stock and check the mag well.

Im wagering a guess that the mag retaining tab is bent a little more out that need be, resulting incomplete hold.

If it locks cleanly when its outside the stock, then its a issue with the stock putting pressure on box and retaining assembly.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Try putting the clip in with the back (towards the trigger) all the way in then rocking the clip forward until it clicks. With my experience with savages the back goes in first then the front and everything locks up just right. If that doesnt work then call savage they should be able to walk you through trouble shooting it.

If you feel inclided to take it apart follow the instructions that came with the gun or go online and get the user manual. Also put a little bit of duct tap one your tools it will keep from scratching the finish of the gun.