Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Ruger SR22

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Xshark will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Xshark's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger SR22

I'm thinking of getting into some 22 pistol/rifle steel shooting comps, but I need a 22 pistol.

I've always like the Walther P22, but everybody was shooting Ruger MarkI/II/III

Anybody shoot the new Ruger SR22? How does it compare?

Whats a good 22 pistol for competition?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xshark View Post
I'm thinking of getting into some 22 pistol/rifle steel shooting comps, but I need a 22 pistol.

I would suggest staying with a Ruger MK series or buckmark. They will be more accurate and reliable for competition than the SR22 or any other tactical style 22 pistol.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
ChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ChuckLee's Tacoma Gallery
^ x2
Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I suggest Buckmark or Ruger MkI or MkII.
I have all three.
Both have tons of upgrades available...maybe more for the Ruger.
One big difference is if you want to change out the barrel to a longer one/heavier one...the Ruger is an FFL transaction and the Buckmark is not.
Buckmark controls are very similar to 1911.
Ruger has a funky grip angle and mag release.
Ruger MkIII has not been well-received...competitors would pay more for a MkII than a MkIII.
Like I said, I have all three and the Buckmark is by far my favorite.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I too agree with buckmark.

Plus it runs much better supressed
Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
i held the sr22 the other day i thought it was too tiny for my hands. i might buy it anyways though for when i take a female to the range. maybe when turners gets them back in stock
Old 03-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the MKIII Hunter and have no problems with exceptions to crappy ammo. I think a tactical 22 is kinda pointless...that's what my kimber is for.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
How about the GSG 1911 (.22LR)? Its a full 1911 frame chambered in .22LR and I believe the the Sig 1911-22 is the exact same gun just with a different name and a higher price. I've heard nothing but good things about both 1911-22
Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
My question would be whether you want a cheaper-to-fire pistol that has some of the characteristics of a service sidearm or if you just want to hit targets. I carried a 1911A1 in the service and have owned several large-caliber pistols and revolvers since but the most accurate pistol I have yet fired is my heavy-barrel Browning Buckmark .22. I had a Ruger Mk II heavy barrel that was pretty accurate too.

Edit: OP, I notice that you are from Rogers, AR -- I've had cousins living around there since before the Civil War. My Great Great Grandpa lived in Benton County and served in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry (Union).
Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
I love .22 pistols. I own quite a few as they have minimul recoil and are cheap to shoot.

I have two p22's, a s&w 22a, a buckmark and a s&w 36 snubbie in .22.

If you want a fun gun get a p22 or the sr22. If you want a gun that you will be able to compete and be competative with, get a buckmark or the ruger mk II.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
xsptaco07 has a spectacular aura aboutxsptaco07 has a spectacular aura aboutxsptaco07 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jordan
xsptaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I bought the Ruger sr22 pistol 3 days ago. Ive put about 500 rounds though it already. So far i am LOVING it. It is light, the sights are clear, holds 10 rounds, and is so much fun to shoot. as far as accuracy, it is decent. Im still getting a feel for it. if you want a REAL .22, GET A SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 41. ive shot a 3/4 inch 5 shot group at 25 ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger SR22-img_4866.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Ruger MKIII Hunter and the Buckmark. Both shot well but the Buckmark is alot easier to work on. You can change the barrel out on the Buckmark with a screw driver and a allen wrench. Lots of after market parts for both.

I also have a few 22 handguns.
Ruger Standard (before they were called MKI, II or III. 1954)
Ruger Stainless Hunter MkIII
Browning Buckmark
Dan Wesson 22lr revolver 4in barrel
An old snub nose revolver(stays in my tool box)
and an old single action revolver(stays on the shelf in the shop)
Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #13
xsptaco07 has a spectacular aura aboutxsptaco07 has a spectacular aura aboutxsptaco07 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jordan
xsptaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by detnight View Post
I have a Ruger MKIII Hunter and the Buckmark. Both shot well but the Buckmark is alot easier to work on. You can change the barrel out on the Buckmark with a screw driver and a allen wrench. Lots of after market parts for both.

I also have a few 22 handguns.
Ruger Standard (before they were called MKI, II or III. 1954)
Ruger Stainless Hunter MkIII
Browning Buckmark
Dan Wesson 22lr revolver 4in barrel
An old snub nose revolver(stays in my tool box)
and an old single action revolver(stays on the shelf in the shop)
Very nice bro!!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #14
DEW will become famous soon enough

Name: Dew
DEW's Tacoma Gallery
sr22

I picked up one a month ago. Simply amazing little gun!!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I bought one a few weeks ago. Love it. I too am considering getting into some rimfire shooting competitions this summer. I wouldn't hesitate to use the SR. I have no experience with the MK series, but understand that they are very good firearms. Smith & Wesson 41 was mentioned earlier...legendary status. I would prolly go Trailside if I were buying strictly for competitive shooting, but I bought the SR22 as an all around. Much lighter than the MK series which translates to faster handling and more comfortable carry.

The SR seems smallish, but actually fits my hand very well with the larger backstrap and mag extension and controls are easy to operate. Should be plenty accurate for steel plate at 25 yds. Mine shoots Minute of soda can at that range. The double action trigger is a bit of a pull, but I'm getting used to it...single action is quite pleasant IMO.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
noneill is on a distinguished road
Army: 1 BCT, 82nd ABN DIV
Name: nick
noneill's Tacoma Gallery
only reason why i like ruger is because they are AMERICAN!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
looks an awful lot like a walther p-22...

... is a good looking gun, ...looks like something i'd consider, ...and they have a normal mag release, unlike the way walther has gone (which i'm not a fan of their mag release design)..
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
wesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to beholdwesb1023 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Westley
wesb1023's Tacoma Gallery

I agree, it does look alot like the p22. I just sold my p22 and went out and purchased the s&w m&p22. I really like it alot, only put a hundred rounds through it so far. Its made by walther for s&w. I loved my p22, but the m&p fits my hand better.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
My dad just bought one so when i get home Ill give it a good review. He said it is small but fits nicely. Also he said that he had no jamming and he used a few different brands of ammunition, even the ammo that he couldnt shoot out of his Mosquito cause it jammed every other round. So it looks like it might be a great buy!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post

... is a good looking gun, ...looks like something i'd consider, ...and they have a normal mag release, unlike the way walther has gone (which i'm not a fan of their mag release design)..
Yep, and the first few reports are the Ruger is less finicky on ammo.