Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

New Gun: .45 ACP Hi-Point Carbine...Thoughts?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up New Gun: .45 ACP Hi-Point Carbine...Thoughts?

Hey guys, just got this gun as a gift (sort of). Brother in law passed away in Afghanistan and I have since sort of inherited it. In the process of getting everything transferred into my name etc. It is a .45 ACP Hi-Point Carbine. Any thoughts or reviews of this gun? I know he liked shooting it and would absolutely insist that I soot it as well. Any comments, thoughts, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
my condolences for your loss....a lot of people like the hipoint carbines ive personally not used one
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto, sorry to hear of your loss.

Now... on the gun:
#1 - It's a long gun, nothing to put in your name. Since it is by bequest, it is simply shipped to you by the executor. If no executor, then it needs to ship through your local FFL (transfer fee will be close to $100 depending on your shop).
#2 - That gun has SB23 features... With the pistol grip, it must not have a detachable magazine. I don't know if you can buy a "bullet button" for that or not.
#3 - What's the overall length? Since it is semi-auto, it's minimum length must be no shorter than 30". If it is only 26" (meets Federal law) then you will need to add a muzzle device that'll bring it's minimum operational length to 30" or more.

#2 and #3 are important. In it's factory configuration, mere possession of that rifle in California is a felony, and if it is shipped to your gun shop for transfer and is not in a legal configuration, he will either refuse shipment, or if he's an asshole, turn it over to the cops.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Okay, I just checked the specs and the OAL is 32" with the buttpad collapsed, so you're okay on that. Also the 9rd magazine is good to go.
The only thing is that with the pistol grip, it must not have a detachable magazine.
You will need some sort of magazine lock like the Radlock or Bullet Button installed prior to it being shipped into California.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ditto, sorry to hear of your loss.

Now... on the gun:
#1 - It's a long gun, nothing to put in your name. Since it is by bequest, it is simply shipped to you by the executor. If no executor, then it needs to ship through your local FFL (transfer fee will be close to $100 depending on your shop).
#2 - That gun has SB23 features... With the pistol grip, it must not have a detachable magazine. I don't know if you can buy a "bullet button" for that or not.
#3 - What's the overall length? Since it is semi-auto, it's minimum length must be no shorter than 30". If it is only 26" (meets Federal law) then you will need to add a muzzle device that'll bring it's minimum operational length to 30" or more.

#2 and #3 are important. In it's factory configuration, mere possession of that rifle in California is a felony, and if it is shipped to your gun shop for transfer and is not in a legal configuration, he will either refuse shipment, or if he's an asshole, turn it over to the cops.
Gotcha, I knew I was getting into all this stuff because of damn CA. Right now, it is in Oregon with a family member. If I can't have them do all that stuff for CA up there, I'll just have them keep it up there.

This may sound dumb, but since it is in Oregon, can I take it to a gun shop or smith or something and essentially say, 'can you make this CA legal?'
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Rich know his California stuff. Take note of his post.

Edit: oops. You already did. Hopefully you can get it CA legal and enjoy shooting it here!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay, I just checked the specs and the OAL is 32" with the buttpad collapsed, so you're okay on that. Also the 9rd magazine is good to go.
The only thing is that with the pistol grip, it must not have a detachable magazine.
You will need some sort of magazine lock like the Radlock or Bullet Button installed prior to it being shipped into California.
And that is all I would need to make it CA legal? If I can get it legalized, I'm just gonna ship it to a local range and do the 11 day background check etc.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Gotcha, I knew I was getting into all this stuff because of damn CA. Right now, it is in Oregon with a family member. If I can't have them do all that stuff for CA up there, I'll just have them keep it up there.

This may sound dumb, but since it is in Oregon, can I take it to a gun shop or smith or something and essentially say, 'can you make this CA legal?'
An Oregon smith may or may not know how to make it legal.

Given that HP is generally pretty cheap, I'm not aware of any mag-locks made for them, but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist, or a good smith wouldn't be able to fabricate something.

Basically, all that has to be done is the mag release needs to be restricted so that it can't be actuated with a finger.
You're legal if you need a "tool" such as the tip of a bullet (bullet tip is actually codified in the PC as an exemption intended for the fixed-mag SKS) or some similar object that is smaller than a fingertip.

Assuming the HP is a traditional pushbutton release, it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a block for it.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
gopedguy101 will become famous soon enoughgopedguy101 will become famous soon enough

gopedguy101's Tacoma Gallery
some run n gun of it and kinda a review, check out his other vids for this agents other pistol chambered carbines.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfanc.../1/ouqWxI9oLG8
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
An Oregon smith may or may not know how to make it legal.

Given that HP is generally pretty cheap, I'm not aware of any mag-locks made for them, but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist, or a good smith wouldn't be able to fabricate something.

Basically, all that has to be done is the mag release needs to be restricted so that it can't be actuated with a finger.
You're legal if you need a "tool" such as the tip of a bullet (bullet tip is actually codified in the PC as an exemption intended for the fixed-mag SKS) or some similar object that is smaller than a fingertip.

Assuming the HP is a traditional pushbutton release, it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a block for it.
OKay, thanks a lot Rich +1. From what I have read like you said, seem pretty inexpensive. Since you know wayy more than I do with this stuff, anything I should look out for, be worried with a gun/brand like this? Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
And that is all I would need to make it CA legal? If I can get it legalized, I'm just gonna ship it to a local range and do the 11 day background check etc.
Yup.

Two things...

1 - Must be legal before it arrives in California.
The only exception to that would be:
a) The receiving FFL has an assault weapons permit
b) The receiving FFL is an 07 and will be installing the part needed to make it legal.

2 - Your FFL must be willing to transfer an "evil black rifle"
Even in SoCal, we're probably running about 80% of shops won't touch anything with a pistol grip and don't believe that the magazine lock it legal.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
OKay, thanks a lot Rich +1. From what I have read like you said, seem pretty inexpensive. Since you know wayy more than I do with this stuff, anything I should look out for, be worried with a gun/brand like this? Thoughts?
Hi-Points have a mixed reputation.
I don't know anyone with experience with the carbine.
Those that I know that have had the .380 and 9mm... love/hate.
Some people swear that they are solid and go bang every time, and others have told stories about the things falling apart.

I considered a 9mm for my wife, but the slide action is extremely stiff and she can't chamber a round. She ended up with a 92FS. Double bonus on that because we have a few legal high caps that we got from a cop buddy before the ban. Can't transfer those mags now... they're hers until the ban is lifted.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #13
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup.

Two things...

1 - Must be legal before it arrives in California.
The only exception to that would be:
a) The receiving FFL has an assault weapons permit
b) The receiving FFL is an 07 and will be installing the part needed to make it legal.

2 - Your FFL must be willing to transfer an "evil black rifle"
Even in SoCal, we're probably running about 80% of shops won't touch anything with a pistol grip and don't believe that the magazine lock it legal.
Gotcha I see what you are saying. Like I said, prolly wouldn't have been my choice of gun but it kind of fell into my lap. Thanks again for all your help. Been extremely informative
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Everything I've ever read about the carbines was that they are good to go as far as being durable and reliable

i've not shot one or even handled one though
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Everything I've ever read about the carbines was that they are good to go as far as being durable and reliable

i've not shot one or even handled one though
Okay cool, thanks Jeff. Made a little progress on the whole transferring today.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 AM   #16
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
If you are still looking for reviews on the HP 45 Carbine; I bought one a couple months ago as a kicker in a pistol deal. I have shot the 9mm carbine and liked it overall; just not the round. I'm a 45 guy if I have my choice.

I took it to the range and was easily able to put the magazine into a 5" circle at 25 yards standing and just going bang with it. After some sight adjustments I was dead on and able to cut a new center hole pretty easy. It has been pretty reliable for me; but I have only put around 200 rds through it so far. It is ugly, kind of bulky, and the trigger brings a whole new level to "sucks". Overall it is a 45ACP carbine that goes bang every time and I didn't have one of those. It wasn't bad for the ~$300 I gave for it.

As for all the crap you're going through to get it Cali legal; dear God how can a gun owner live in that state where criminals have more rights than civilians? Don't get me wrong; I did enjoy my time there while I was in the Corps; but first chance I got I put Cali in the rear view mirror and floored it.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Hi-Point 9mm carbine has a very good reputation.
Ugly, but effective.
I see no reason why a 45acp wouldn't run just as well.
You pick up a lot of mv having a carbine-length barrel....suddenly you double the energy of the round with the same ammo.
The only downside of the Hi-Point is being limited to their magazines.
I would buy a Kel-Tec SUB in 9mm Glock if I were buying new.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Alright guys, anyone in CA know where I can get a bullet button/take it to get installed? I know they sell CA legal versions of this gun and all I need is the button to make it work now. I talked to a local shop and they about crucified me because I mentioned a rifle with a pistol grip. Also, they said Hi Point doesn't even sell carbines to CA? I didn't take anything these said to heart at all...
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #19
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
Wow..Cali gun laws= And I thought NY was bad.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #20
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Bullet Button

Quote:
Alright guys, anyone in CA know where I can get a bullet button/take it to get installed? I know they sell CA legal versions of this gun and all I need is the button to make it work now. I talked to a local shop and they about crucified me because I mentioned a rifle with a pistol grip. Also, they said Hi Point doesn't even sell carbines to CA? I didn't take anything these said to heart at all...

Check with these guys:

http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/hipomaglobub.html