LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Bowhunters

Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Bowhunters

well I've think that I recently caught the bowhunting addiction. my wallet is gunna love it . can anyone recomend a good setup to get that won't break the bank?

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2008-PS...ow-package.htm
I was looking at something like that but who knows....
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I see you said bowhunting in the title, but have you ever had a bow before? Are you interested in traditional or just compound?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
I see you said bowhunting in the title, but have you ever had a bow before? Are you interested in traditional or just compound?
never owned one... looking for compound
Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
The bow packages are really good (this is the way I went) but I have found that I would have rather got a bare bow and got the acc. I wanted. The best piece of advice I can give is shoot as many diff. bows as possible and let the bow pic you. Don't get caught up in all the big name hype either. Welcome to the addiction!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
It does depend on money for sure, but if you want to buy something to keep for a while, then buy a good one. I have had my Hoyt for about 15 years and it has been fast and dependable. Next year I hope to get a new one.

One suggestion would to be to try and find a dependable bow shop that sells used ones. Great way to start out. They depreciate like cars and some people like to trade almost every year. It would be best to have a contact within the store or someone else that frequents the store. Just to help you feel comfortable the bow doesn't have any issues.

The PSE you looked at will work fine for ya. Just remember when you get hooked, you will want bigger and better. Which will eventually mean bigger $$$.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolayiv View Post
The bow packages are really good (this is the way I went) but I have found that I would have rather got a bare bow and got the acc. I wanted. The best piece of advice I can give is shoot as many diff. bows as possible and let the bow pic you. Don't get caught up in all the big name hype either. Welcome to the addiction!
Yes, add the, 'shoot lots of bows' at these shops to my post as well.....very good advice. Or shoot all your friends, and their friends bows as well. Its best if draw lengths are close at least to yours.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
something you may wanna try dude, and its what i did...................i went to a pawn shop and bought my pse. i got it on the cheap, and added what i wanted to it. there are some pretty inexpensive package deals out there, but i decided to buy used incase i broke it the first few times i got into using it. im gonna buy a new bow this year coming(bear done deal or truth2), but my "pawnshop pse" has served me well.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #8

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
something you may wanna try dude, and its what i did...................i went to a pawn shop and bought my pse. i got it on the cheap, and added what i wanted to it. there are some pretty inexpensive package deals out there, but i decided to buy used incase i broke it the first few times i got into using it. im gonna buy a new bow this year coming(bear done deal or truth2), but my "pawnshop pse" has served me well.
Quote:
It does depend on money for sure, but if you want to buy something to keep for a while, then buy a good one. I have had my Hoyt for about 15 years and it has been fast and dependable. Next year I hope to get a new one.

One suggestion would to be to try and find a dependable bow shop that sells used ones. Great way to start out. They depreciate like cars and some people like to trade almost every year. It would be best to have a contact within the store or someone else that frequents the store. Just to help you feel comfortable the bow doesn't have any issues.

The PSE you looked at will work fine for ya. Just remember when you get hooked, you will want bigger and better. Which will eventually mean bigger $$$.
Quote:
Thx for the advice everyone... looks like i'll be spending some time at some bow shops
Old 12-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
Thx for the advice everyone... looks like i'll be spending some time at some bow shops
awesome!!!! i love bowhunting, and just shooting in general!!! its primal dude!!! but wear an arm guard the first few times til you get used to shooting. otherwise....your inner forearm may look like someone had you in a torture device!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #10

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
but wear an arm guard the first few times til you get used to shooting. otherwise....your inner forearm may look like someone had you in a torture device!!

ohh trust me, I've learned that lesson before
Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
i learned it at bass pro one day....then a few times after that. then, one of my hunting buddies, as we were talking about arm guards says "ah......i dont use one....i dont need one"....then he shot and let out a scream from hell. it was funny as hell man!! his arm was pretty brutal looking!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #12
Quote:
if you hit your forearm then you need to bend your arm a little and not lock the elbow. This can cause the forearm to come in. Also rock the elbow out while keeping your hand gripped to the bow. Hard to explain on the keyboard.

Will is right, archery is a blast! 3-D shoots are a lot of fun too.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
awesome!!!! i love bowhunting, and just shooting in general!!! its primal dude!!! but wear an arm guard the first few times til you get used to shooting. otherwise....your inner forearm may look like someone had you in a torture device!!

speaking of primal, I think I might want to look into either a longbow or a recurve sometime in the near future.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
if you hit your forearm then you need to bend your arm a little and not lock the elbow. This can cause the forearm to come in.

Will is right, archery is a blast! 3-D shoots are a lot of fun too.
i think next time the rinehart100 comes to north carolina....im gonna do it!! seems like a lot of fun! and alotta great prizes!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
speaking of primal, I think I might want to look into either a longbow or a recurve sometime in the near future.
im gonna do the same. i have my dad's old recurve and all....but it snapped on me a couple of weeks back. im gonna look at a recurve and long bow eventually though.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
Quote:
i think next time the rinehart100 comes to north carolina....im gonna do it!! seems like a lot of fun! and alotta great prizes!
3-D shoots are also great practice for hunting situations. Creates that sense of only having one shot to get a clean ethical harvest.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
Quote:
I want a recurve as well. My buddy is all traditional and we were using his recurve to shoot aerial targets at our 3-D bowshoot last summer. What a rush. Hit the target on my fourth try. That felt like an accomplishment.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #18
Carolina Alliance

jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I want a recurve as well. My buddy is all traditional and we were using his recurve to shoot aerial targets at our 3-D bowshoot last summer. What a rush. Hit the target on my fourth try. That felt like an accomplishment.
Awesome, I have never had the chance to shoot a recurve or long bow. I can only imagine it is a whole new world.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Awesome, I have never had the chance to shoot a recurve or long bow. I can only imagine it is a whole new world.
yep............a whole new harder world!!! but super fun, and it really gives you an appreciation of how people along time ago hunted and all!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
Quote:
so much fun and challenging that no one minded searching for arrows way out in the field. We didn't have any flu flus handy.