1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How hard is it to shoot an elephant?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by sofiasdad11, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Word

oh and fuck PETA

2. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Why? I'm a PETA member! :confused:

People Eating Tasty Animals! ;)

3. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    It's a trophy hunt b/c they paid to be there and are unable to ship the meat home. I believe the killed animals, like tuna fish caught off American shores, still become tagged and noted to keep a record. Meat gets distributed to the villages in the area, at least, and I'm sure they had some for themselves. They get to keep "trophies" taken from the animal. They paid to hunt these and any animal they chose (for more $). That's not a problem since I'm sure it was all legally done by government standards.

Elephants are not difficult to hunt, at least around the hunting camp I spent weeks in. We were able to get close to numerous elephants each day we went out, and, yes, even the experienced hunters were fearful in case they charged. The kill is extremely tough and precise on these animals, though.

Elephants are not rats, so while they, like any other animal, have an impact on the surrounding habitat, it takes them much longer to mature and regenerate. It's definitely part of the reason hunts cost at least $50k for an elephant - not everyone can afford to do it.

Again, I'm against this, but since it's seem to have been done legally and the meat is eaten, I can't say anything was wrong with what the Trump boys did.

4. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    I cut my bucks balls off when i shoot it.. same thing stop being a hippy and stop being butt hurt

5. Mar 15, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Don't think I have ever seen one mounted hang on a wall. Apples and oranges.

6. Mar 15, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    ^^...^^...^^...^^
    So is that but because it differs from your opinion, it's irrelevant.

7. Mar 15, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    This seems like one of those times where someone glimpses a ridiculous news heading, reads an article, and all the sudden becomes an "activist" on the spot.

For the record I am not a hunter, never have been, never have the desire to be, but I do not have a problem with hunting for food. Big game trophy hunting is stupid in my mind, unless done for population purposes and preservation of species and environment (and nothing goes to waste), and generally speaking I see a lot of hunting today as a cheaters game of bait and kill on sight, by experience of friends describing the deer they shot or whatnot. Idk I just always thought hunting was legitimate tracking and shooting, not throwing out deer corn and sitting in a tree for hours. I'm not applying this to everyone at all, just making an observation.

But to the OP, why don't you pull up an actual credible article or observation before posting in here just as one-sided as the article you post and expecting everyone to have YOUR opinion to be a valid statement?

8. Mar 15, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    hopefully the OP learned a lesson.

/thread

9. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    never expected others to have my opinion. I stand by my view that these individuals are lacking. Even with the assumption the meat was eaten, and local customs are involved, the fact is these individual's ARE NOT LOCALS. Killing an elephant, then posing with its remnants afterward, really? Alas, perhaps I love my dogs too much :D

10. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Lacking what?

11. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Understandable for others to not have your opinion. I am just stating it seems one sided in the first place when multiple valid arguments pop up but you think they are invalid.

Ah your real opinion comes out! So you just do not like these people because it was not LOCALS who killed the elephant and other animals? So if local peoples killed the elephant the same way it is okay? And for that reason, that is why the guys are "lacking"? Seems a little odd to say that in my opinion.

Whatever, you're entitled to your opinion as odd and whacky as it is :p

12. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    moe1967

moe1967 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD DC Off-Road PreRunner
    Is it just me, or does Jr.'s knife not have a drop of blood on it from cutting that tail off? Seems as if there would at least be a little.

Looks pretty clean to me.

13. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Good point, looks pretty clean to me, in fact he looks pretty clean, I would imagine he was not even the one to cut it off, he is just posing with it.

14. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    It is custom for foreigners with lots of money to have the trackers do all the work. These city boys usually start to cry when they start cutting into the animal they just shot.:p

15. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    jjew18

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I was thinking the same, "You want me to do want now?! Grossssss, that is ssssooooooo icky!"

Like taking a girl fishing for the first time and trying to get her to bait a worm or hold up her catch.

16. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    jjew18

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    In all seriousness though, I would have never known to cut the tail off and I wouldn't know where to begin to de-meat an elephant.

17. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    x2 same thing with a whale. "where the fuck do I start"?! haha

18. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    A little off topic, but I thought this would fit in here.
    I have seen this same bull in Pilanesberg Reserve when I was there in 2005. He started coming towards my car flapping his ears. I did not stick around to see what would happen if he gets closer. I will go see if I have the picture that I took (I did not take the pictures below). He was about 50 yards from me when I decided to take off. This bull was shot after the incident below. He had been a trouble maker for a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mar 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i know the article. apparently that tail thing is a tradition.

here is what i DO know. trophy elephant hunting is saving the elephant. how? lemme tell you. IVORY is a high ticket black market item. elephants (and rhino) provide this ivory. so they poach them. if left unchecked, i promise you they will go extinct in the wild. so, what happens when some rich trophy hunter shows up and is willing to pay for mega-money to shoot one of these things? the elephant becomes a valuable commodity. the locals now protect their herds because they are fucking valuable!! i know one rich guy that did hunt one. i think he paid $250k. the local biologist picks a rogue elephant that is troubling a village. they bring in the hunter, he shoots the elephant, he pays the money..and yes the village gets all the meat. this is a win, win, win win.. $250k U.S. is alot of african money.

me, i would never shoot one..i cant afford it, plus i dont want to. but trust me, controlled sanctioned elephant hunting is a good thing. they now have roving bands of people hunting (and i think killing) the poachers.

Products Discussed in

To Top