Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Taurus TCP vs Ruger LCP which would you buy?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Taurus TCP vs Ruger LCP which would you buy?

I am going to be purchasing a light pocket carry gun. This will be a gun which will always leave home with me and will be on my person every day. I work in not so nice neighborhoods so this is a piece of mind for me. I already have full size .40 at home, but the .40 is too big, too heavy and too bulky to carry throughout 12+ hour workday. I am also in AZ and work outside or in empty apartments, it gets 110+f around here in summer so again the need for very small yet effective gun.

Now I have narrowed my selection to the Taurus TCP and the Ruger LCP. From this point I can't make up my mind. Here is list of pros and cons;

Ruger LCP;

Pros
- lighter than Taurus
- Ruger name, many many people I talked to would pick the Ruger

Cons
- slide wont stay open after last round
- LONG trigger pull
- sights are almost non existent
- is $30-$50 more expensive than TCP

Taurus TCP

Pros
- slide will lock open after last round
- better more profound sights than Ruger
- shorter trigger pull than Ruger
- has better sights than Ruger
- cheaper than Ruger

Cons
- on early models the gun would NOT fire 2nd round if the trigger wasnt released all the way before squeezed again - HUGE ISSUE especially since this would be a gun which I would pull if my life would be in danger. LINK --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPqB...eature=related

I have read MANY reviews and it seems that some LOVE the TAURUS some hate it. Same goes for the Ruger. Same goes for FTF/FTE, same people claim their TCP is flawless, same say they traded it in after 100rounds because of FTF/FTE again same goes for the Ruger...

Please help me make up my mind
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Ruger LCP, then traded it away and bought a s&w bodyguard...which I kept for 6 months or so before trading it for another Ruger

I absolutely love mine and have zero complaints

The sights in my book are a non issue because it's not a target pistol...it's designed for very close battles and you will probably never see the sights

I've not had a malfunction in either of my LCPs
Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You can also look at Kel-Tec...their P3AT is very similar in size etc too and lots and lots of people love them
Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Cons
- slide wont stay open after last round - Do you really need it to?
- LONG trigger pull - This is is safety feature as there is no safety.
- sights are almost non existent - In a life threatening situation your'e unlikely to be using sights.
- is $30-$50 more expensive than TCP - For good reason.

I love my LCP, never had any problems with it and is decently accurate at 15ft. I would recommend this over a Tuarass for sure.
Mine

Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

All good points. Since this will be my primary carry pistol I will spend the extra $$ and get the best the market has to offer, which is the Ruger. I have considered Kel-Tec P3AT. I held it in my hand and it feels and looks cheap, not to my liking. Even though many, many people say beside its bad looks it goes bang almost every time...lol
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedTaco View Post
All good points. Since this will be my primary carry pistol I will spend the extra $$ and get the best the market has to offer, which is the Ruger. I have considered Kel-Tec P3AT. I held it in my hand and it feels and looks cheap, not to my liking. Even though many, many people say beside its bad looks it goes bang almost every time...lol
kel-tec has been making the P3AT for alot longer than ruger has been the LCP, who do you think ruger pretty much stole thier whole design from? put the 2 guns side by side and tell me the Ruger dosn't look almost just like the keltec, i had a P3AT and sold it for a PF-9, having one 380 pistol and 3 9mm's just didn't make sense to me when i can still carry the PF-9 in my front pocket, 8rds of 9mm, more power, real sights, still an inexpensive good shooting gun

edit, you're far from the best on the market with the Ruger IMO, esp with all of the recalls they had on them early on, you want the best pocket .380 get a Kahr
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kessler89 View Post
kel-tec has been making the P3AT for alot longer than ruger has been the LCP, who do you think ruger pretty much stole thier whole design from? put the 2 guns side by side and tell me the Ruger dosn't look almost just like the keltec, i had a P3AT and sold it for a PF-9, having one 380 pistol and 3 9mm's just didn't make sense to me when i can still carry the PF-9 in my front pocket, 8rds of 9mm, more power, real sights, still an inexpensive good shooting gun

edit, you're far from the best on the market with the Ruger IMO, esp with all of the recalls they had on them early on, you want the best pocket .380 get a Kahr
Kahr is way out of my price range... My budget is $280 Indeed Kahr makes some nice pistols...
Old 03-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedTaco View Post
I carry my Keltec as my back up gun when on duty. I do a 45 round qualification every year all the way out to the 15yrd line with it. I also carry it in a pocket holster when off duty. I trust my life to mine.

That said, the Ruger is a fine gun aswell. I have no exp with the TCP.

Which ever one you get, shoot at least 250 rounds through it before you even think of carrying it. These small guns NEED to be broken in. Mine used to fail to feed during the 1st hundred rounds or so. Now, it's smooth as silk and eats any ammo I feed it.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Stew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to beholdStew is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stew
Stew's Tacoma Gallery
I love my lcp, got it with the laser guard so I don't have to worry about sights but honestly if you're pulling it its gonna be a battle less than 10 yards probably less than 3 so no big deal. I've put 300 rounds through mine, some cheap some quality some steel some brass not 1 jam or misfire.

I want a bodyguard but now reading this I'm rethinking I haven't heard anything bad before now except you can't find them.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Taurus but I would stray from the kel-tec know a few who've had them one of the three's magazine release broke the other two complain about theres.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I love my lcp, got it with the laser guard so I don't have to worry about sights but honestly if you're pulling it its gonna be a battle less than 10 yards probably less than 3 so no big deal. I've put 300 rounds through mine, some cheap some quality some steel some brass not 1 jam or misfire.

I want a bodyguard but now reading this I'm rethinking I haven't heard anything bad before now except you can't find them.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Taurus but I would stray from the kel-tec know a few who've had them one of the three's magazine release broke the other two complain about theres.
I'll say this...the bg I had was fine quality speaking...I just preferred the LCP
I have had zero issues with my keltec pf9 also
Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger for sure...Had a TCP sold it two days and 200 rounds later...When i worked at a gun/hunting store seen a few that had to be sent back to Tauras, also seen one blown up do to pore head space...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
DaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
DaWillDaBeast's Tacoma Gallery
Love my LCP, have around 500 rounds through it and never had a failure. Also the belt clip made for the P3AT fits it, making it super easy to tuck into the back of your pants.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Nom Nom Nom

Went to local gun show and got the Taurus TCP. It is the newest version, with serial number ending in "C". The gun SUPER easy to conceal and VERY comfortable to carry all day, I don't even know I have it on me at times.

I looked and held in my hand the Kel-Tec P3AT & Ruger LCP. I hated the Kel-Tec, it has shitty fit and finish and the grips are made of 10grit sandpaper, VERY uncomfortable to hold.

The Ruger I liked, HOWEVER the Ruger was $100 more than the Taurus. The cheapest LCP I found at the gun show was $307 with tax and I got the Taurus for $220... Some dealers wanted in the neighborhood of $350 for the LCP...

Personally I like the Taurus TCP. It is comfortable to hold and the fit and finish is very good for the price. Any Taurus comes with lifetime warranty and I also got one year free NRA membership. HARD to beat. I am stoked to shoot it...
Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
triumphx is on a distinguished road

triumphx's Tacoma Gallery
Def the ruger, i carry mine daily. Never had any issues and the sights shouldnt be a big deal since you really shouldnt use it unless the person is with in 10 ft or so. You can always tape of the sight and add a little red finger nail polish. I thought about doing that but like i said the sights are not needed with a carry gun like this
Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to jack this thread, but do any of ya'll know when the springfield XDS is coming out?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Have you looked at the kahr cw40? It's the cheaper version of the other .40 model they have. Or even the cw9?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Based on my experience with a new Taurus PT840C in the last week I will not be buying any more guns made by Taurus. I can't believe how many malfunctions and jams I've had.

Get the Ruger
Old 04-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
HUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Tommy
HUNT's Tacoma Gallery
Ruger

Opp's to late,but I would have paid more for the Ruger.. over 500 round threw mine no FTF.