1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taurus TCP vs Ruger LCP which would you buy?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 05RedTaco, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Mar 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco [OP] Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    I am going to be purchasing a light pocket carry gun. This will be a gun which will always leave home with me and will be on my person every day. I work in not so nice neighborhoods so this is a piece of mind for me. I already have full size .40 at home, but the .40 is too big, too heavy and too bulky to carry throughout 12+ hour workday. I am also in AZ and work outside or in empty apartments, it gets 110+f around here in summer so again the need for very small yet effective gun.

Now I have narrowed my selection to the Taurus TCP and the Ruger LCP. From this point I can't make up my mind. Here is list of pros and cons;

Ruger LCP;

Pros
    - lighter than Taurus
    - Ruger name, many many people I talked to would pick the Ruger

Cons
    - slide wont stay open after last round
    - LONG trigger pull
    - sights are almost non existent
    - is $30-$50 more expensive than TCP

Taurus TCP

Pros
    - slide will lock open after last round
    - better more profound sights than Ruger
    - shorter trigger pull than Ruger
    - has better sights than Ruger
    - cheaper than Ruger

Cons
    - on early models the gun would NOT fire 2nd round if the trigger wasnt released all the way before squeezed again - HUGE ISSUE especially since this would be a gun which I would pull if my life would be in danger. LINK --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPqBwUIr6k&feature=related

I have read MANY reviews and it seems that some LOVE the TAURUS some hate it. Same goes for the Ruger. Same goes for FTF/FTE, same people claim their TCP is flawless, same say they traded it in after 100rounds because of FTF/FTE again same goes for the Ruger...

Please help me make up my mind :rolleyes:

2. Mar 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I had a Ruger LCP, then traded it away and bought a s&w bodyguard...which I kept for 6 months or so before trading it for another Ruger

I absolutely love mine and have zero complaints

The sights in my book are a non issue because it's not a target pistol...it's designed for very close battles and you will probably never see the sights

I've not had a malfunction in either of my LCPs

3. Mar 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    You can also look at Kel-Tec...their P3AT is very similar in size etc too and lots and lots of people love them

4. Mar 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Cons
    - slide wont stay open after last round - Do you really need it to?
    - LONG trigger pull - This is is safety feature as there is no safety.
    - sights are almost non existent - In a life threatening situation your'e unlikely to be using sights.
    - is $30-$50 more expensive than TCP - For good reason.

I love my LCP, never had any problems with it and is decently accurate at 15ft. I would recommend this over a Tuarass for sure. :D
    Mine

[​IMG]

5. Mar 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    05RedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    All good points. Since this will be my primary carry pistol I will spend the extra $$ and get the best the market has to offer, which is the Ruger. I have considered Kel-Tec P3AT. I held it in my hand and it feels and looks cheap, not to my liking. Even though many, many people say beside its bad looks it goes bang almost every time...lol

6. Mar 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    kel-tec has been making the P3AT for alot longer than ruger has been the LCP, who do you think ruger pretty much stole thier whole design from? put the 2 guns side by side and tell me the Ruger dosn't look almost just like the keltec, i had a P3AT and sold it for a PF-9, having one 380 pistol and 3 9mm's just didn't make sense to me when i can still carry the PF-9 in my front pocket, 8rds of 9mm, more power, real sights, still an inexpensive good shooting gun

edit, you're far from the best on the market with the Ruger IMO, esp with all of the recalls they had on them early on, you want the best pocket .380 get a Kahr

7. Mar 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    05RedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    Kahr is way out of my price range... My budget is $280 :eek: Indeed Kahr makes some nice pistols...

8. Mar 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    I carry my Keltec as my back up gun when on duty. I do a 45 round qualification every year all the way out to the 15yrd line with it. I also carry it in a pocket holster when off duty. I trust my life to mine.

That said, the Ruger is a fine gun aswell. I have no exp with the TCP.

Which ever one you get, shoot at least 250 rounds through it before you even think of carrying it. These small guns NEED to be broken in. Mine used to fail to feed during the 1st hundred rounds or so. Now, it's smooth as silk and eats any ammo I feed it.

9. Mar 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    Stew

Stew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 04 Single Cab 2.7 4x4
    2.5in ^, debadged, fog light mod, deck plate, line-x, tool box
    I love my lcp, got it with the laser guard so I don't have to worry about sights but honestly if you're pulling it its gonna be a battle less than 10 yards probably less than 3 so no big deal. I've put 300 rounds through mine, some cheap some quality some steel some brass not 1 jam or misfire.

I want a bodyguard but now reading this I'm rethinking I haven't heard anything bad before now except you can't find them.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Taurus but I would stray from the kel-tec know a few who've had them one of the three's magazine release broke the other two complain about theres.

10. Mar 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I'll say this...the bg I had was fine quality speaking...I just preferred the LCP
    I have had zero issues with my keltec pf9 also

11. Mar 22, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    Ruger for sure...Had a TCP sold it two days and 200 rounds later...When i worked at a gun/hunting store seen a few that had to be sent back to Tauras, also seen one blown up do to pore head space...

12. Mar 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    Love my LCP, have around 500 rounds through it and never had a failure. Also the belt clip made for the P3AT fits it, making it super easy to tuck into the back of your pants.

13. Apr 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    05RedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    Went to local gun show and got the Taurus TCP. It is the newest version, with serial number ending in "C". The gun SUPER easy to conceal and VERY comfortable to carry all day, I don't even know I have it on me at times.

I looked and held in my hand the Kel-Tec P3AT & Ruger LCP. I hated the Kel-Tec, it has shitty fit and finish and the grips are made of 10grit sandpaper, VERY uncomfortable to hold.

The Ruger I liked, HOWEVER the Ruger was $100 more than the Taurus. The cheapest LCP I found at the gun show was $307 with tax and I got the Taurus for $220... Some dealers wanted in the neighborhood of $350 for the LCP...

Personally I like the Taurus TCP. It is comfortable to hold and the fit and finish is very good for the price. Any Taurus comes with lifetime warranty and I also got one year free NRA membership. HARD to beat. I am stoked to shoot it...

14. Apr 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    triumphx

triumphx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    X-runner/cummins
    Def the ruger, i carry mine daily. Never had any issues and the sights shouldnt be a big deal since you really shouldnt use it unless the person is with in 10 ft or so. You can always tape of the sight and add a little red finger nail polish. I thought about doing that but like i said the sights are not needed with a carry gun like this

15. Apr 25, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Not trying to jack this thread, but do any of ya'll know when the springfield XDS is coming out?

16. Apr 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Have you looked at the kahr cw40? It's the cheaper version of the other .40 model they have. Or even the cw9?

17. Apr 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
  18. Apr 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Based on my experience with a new Taurus PT840C in the last week I will not be buying any more guns made by Taurus. I can't believe how many malfunctions and jams I've had.

Get the Ruger

19. Apr 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    TRDBeast

TRDBeast Boogie Man Kryptonite

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Coconut Creek, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Crew Cab TRD
    Brute Force front armor with 30" rigid and dual 4" quad rigid fogs OME suspension 3" lift with Dakar leaf pack and ToyTec body lift for total 4.25 LR UCA's 9000 sport Nitro Charger shocks 885X Coils AFE Pro Dry CAI 18" Rockstars Alpine DDIN systemw/Nav, Bluetooth and DVD 2 12's Infinity Kappa's in doors and Alpine 6.5 X 9 in front and back and 2 Alpine Zeus amps rear 2 Rockford Fosgate amps front NFab running boards Dyno tuned FXRs w/ 3" Projectors and Halos retrofit w/ Apollo shrouds and 5000k HID 55W Debadged Wet Okole skins HomerTaco Satoshi grill Elusive Elements light support with 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill Powder coated tool box TRD gear shift Andres Devil Horns TREX eyelids Body Armor rear bumper 15% Tint "ZOMBIE" light switches Custom gun concealer in dash One-piece aluminum drive shaft LED interior light swap
    if you want only 1 reliable ccw and are willing to trust your life on it, s&w airweight 38

always goes bang, never jams and plenty of power

20. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    HUNT

HUNT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Wildwood Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double cab 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 set @ 0, OME 881,Wheelers 5-leaf, OME NitroCharger Sport shocks, 4-RUNNER LIMITED WHEELS, Duratracs, 265/75/16
    Opp's to late,but I would have paid more for the Ruger.. over 500 round threw mine no FTF.

Products Discussed in

To Top