1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scope ideas?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by longbow, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Dec 14, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    OK guys gonna hit you up for ideas on a scope. Decided I will let someone add the info and what they like best and then I will go from there.
    I am putting this on a T/C Encore with a custom shop .308 barrel. This will be set up not as a bench gun, but want longs range capabilities. I will hunt with this and will want to set it up for that.
    Now please don't just fire off scope names, I need info PRO'S and CON'S of what you or a friend have or have been using.

While we are on the subject please add your ideas on rings and bases.

Thanks

2. Dec 14, 2008 at 3:12 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    I had a T/c with a Leopold vari x 2 with a 4x fixed and leupold rings. it was a great set up. But is yours a pistol or rifle set up. Mine was a pistol so I liked the 4x power because of the broader opening of holding it away from ya further. Now if its a rifle then the Leupold Vari x 3 is a better set up in the 3x10 power with leupold rings. I use leupolds ring because of the kick the encore has because of the shorter barrels. Any other info just let me know and I'll try to answer them.

3. Dec 14, 2008 at 3:16 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    My bad, it is a rifle set up.

4. Dec 14, 2008 at 3:20 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    So what is the length of your barrell?

5. Dec 14, 2008 at 3:32 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i just recently picked up a tru-glo 3.5x10x44 muzzleloader scope to use on my .270. it has a light up bdc reticle and comes with flip up scope covers. havent had the time to mount it and shoot yet, but it looks to be a pretty good scope for the money..................dicks sporting goods had it on sale...normally $150.....knock off $20 on sale, and a $30 rebate.......so i got it for $100. as soon as i get it on my .270 and shoot and see how it does, i'll let you know. the base/rings im using are the holden ironsighters. they are ok........but i always have to either tighten the screws down after about 15 rounds, or put a little red loctite on the screws that hold them bases on.

6. Dec 14, 2008 at 4:57 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Barrel is 26" with a med. taper.

7. Dec 14, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I use a cheap Bushnell on my 30.06. It is clear and true and if it breaks, I won't be out that much money.

8. Dec 14, 2008 at 6:16 PM
    40204ever

40204ever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caldwell, TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco racing development
    I have two Nikons I like. One is the 3-9x40mm with the bullet drop compensator reticle. This scope runs around $150.00 and has great light gathering for its size. I have it on a .308 savage. The other is a Buckmaster 4.5-14 x 50mm. It has standard crosshairs and paralax adjustment but I think you can get the BDC reticle on them now. I think there are $250.00 plus. Mine came on a Ruger No.1 25-06 I traded for.

If you dont mind spending the cash, the best scope I own is a leuopold mark 4 6.5-20x 50mm with 30 mm tube, external turrets and mil dot reticle. This scope has spoiled me. I wish I had one on all of my scoped rifles. You can calculate distance with the mil dots at any magnification. I have this on an ar-15 built up as a varmit rifle with a 24 inch bull barrel. That scope runs around $1600.00 but you can find them for around a grand if you shop.

9. Dec 16, 2008 at 5:18 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Go big. I have a Leu MK 4 M1 10x mil ret on my 700 VS .308. It was alot of moolah but it was worth every penny. It is crystal clear out to as far as you are prob ever going to want to shoot. Ive used it out to 800 yds and it is absolutely fantastic. Tuff as nails too. As far as rings, i have Leu Mk 4 rings and a badger ord base. Badger ord rings are very good too.

Rem700VS2-2_395d1153274966afb833f16576a1e3ff87fec181.jpg

10. Dec 17, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I have and own alot of optics.
    I will say Leupold scopes VX-II and above are very good, but there are better choices for less $...the glass on Leupolds is ok, they seem to have alot of warranty returns and I feel you pay for the replacement ahead of time.
    Nikon Monarch or Team Primos is very good....clear, bright, rugged and offers ballistic compensation if you need it.
    Good value.
    Burris is another option.
    FullField II is very good for under $200....offers ballistic comp and very clear and rugged.
    I look for value.
    Scope mounts need to be rugged on high recoil rifles, especially for hunting.
    PM me for other ideas.

11. Dec 26, 2008 at 5:14 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, gonna do some looking today. I post some pic's when everything is set up.

12. Dec 26, 2008 at 5:30 AM
    OlyTacoma173

OlyTacoma173 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab TRD 4x4
    LineX Spray-in bedliner, deckplate mod, K&N High-flow filter, Camburg Coilovers and UCAs, Alcan leaf-pack, Elite plate bumper
    Check out the Super Sniper line of scopes at http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx. They are relatively inexpensive but any forum or review you visit will have them constantly being compared favorably to the Leupolds which cost around four times as much. I don't know if large target knobs is important to you, but the Super Sniper has them, with very discernable clicks for adjusting windage and elevation. They are built to last, they've got good glass, and from my experience so far hold and return to their zero well. I've got the 10x42 mounted on my Savage FP10 .308. Mine is mounted on Badger Ordnance rings and bases, but these are probably a little on the heavy side to be used on a hunting rifle. Rock solid, though a little pricey.
    Look around on that site a little and I'll bet you find what you're looking for. Hope this helps!

13. Dec 26, 2008 at 6:10 AM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    The super sniper scopes are amazing for the money. If you decide to go that route, pm me. I have a 10x42M I bought for a long range .308 project that just never happened. The scope is very crisp and clear, and built like a tank.

with that said, I don't know what type of hunter you are. Most deer are taken close 50-150 yards with there of course being exceptions. In my hunting experience, either a fixed 2.5 or a variable zoom in the range of 2-9 is great for hunting. The fixed 10x is great for long range target shooting (whatever the target is). Many snipers used to use 10x, but from what I'm seeing nowadays many are adopting variable zoom scopes to work in urban environments.

The Super Sniper - great price, very good optics, very well built, rugged. Large target turrets with a nice audible click and tactile feedback.
    -not as good as higher priced scopes, but as the scope goes up in price, the law of diminishing returns comes to mind.

You need to decide exactly what you are willing to spend on a scope, and that will make it easier. Also, if this is primarily a hunting set up that will affect the optimum focal range of the scope vs say a long range paper punching machine. I hope that helped in some way. As much as I want to get rid of my super sniper scope (collecting dust) it probably wouldn't make very good deer hunting scope. (unless for some reason you really like to shoot the fleas of a deers back at 100 yards - some people are into that stuff)

14. Dec 26, 2008 at 11:45 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Well in most case I spend 85% of the cost of the set up towards a scope.
    So in round about numbers just as a guess I would say around a grand.

I used SWFA before, in all but one time did they have the item in stock. But I will check them out. I am going to be reloading my own .308 rounds, SO..............will need to jump on that band wagon pretty soon.

15. Dec 28, 2008 at 11:26 AM
    centurion

centurion Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport,double cab, 4X4, auto, speedway blue
    Air-Raid air filter, de-badged,custom grill,hood and tailgate struts
    Im actually shocked that no one has answered a Zeiss or Swarovski. I never buy "cheap" scopes anymore, just not worth it. Check out a good Zeiss conquest in the 3-10X range, great glass, crystal clear, and made in the USA. Swarovski's are a lot more money but are top notch, probably not needed but i thought i would mention.

For hunting big game you dont need higher power than 10X if you do then you should get closer. Leupolds arent bad but i wouldnt go for anything but the vari-X lll or better. Bushnell's 4200 series are also great for the money and will go head to head with some of the more costly glass out there.

16. Dec 28, 2008 at 11:29 AM
    centurion

centurion Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport,double cab, 4X4, auto, speedway blue
    Air-Raid air filter, de-badged,custom grill,hood and tailgate struts
    P.S Talley light-weight mounts are some of the best, no seperate base to mount, light weight, and very well made. Also you wanted some examples of why mentioned scopes are good but theres only one way to tell. Look through a Zeiss, especially in low light and you will be amazed, a thousand words wouldnt be good enough....

Products Discussed in

To Top