Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Guns & Hunting

Notices

Scope ideas?

Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Scope ideas?

OK guys gonna hit you up for ideas on a scope. Decided I will let someone add the info and what they like best and then I will go from there.
I am putting this on a T/C Encore with a custom shop .308 barrel. This will be set up not as a bench gun, but want longs range capabilities. I will hunt with this and will want to set it up for that.
Now please don't just fire off scope names, I need info PRO'S and CON'S of what you or a friend have or have been using.

While we are on the subject please add your ideas on rings and bases.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
I had a T/c with a Leopold vari x 2 with a 4x fixed and leupold rings. it was a great set up. But is yours a pistol or rifle set up. Mine was a pistol so I liked the 4x power because of the broader opening of holding it away from ya further. Now if its a rifle then the Leupold Vari x 3 is a better set up in the 3x10 power with leupold rings. I use leupolds ring because of the kick the encore has because of the shorter barrels. Any other info just let me know and I'll try to answer them.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i just recently picked up a tru-glo 3.5x10x44 muzzleloader scope to use on my .270. it has a light up bdc reticle and comes with flip up scope covers. havent had the time to mount it and shoot yet, but it looks to be a pretty good scope for the money..................dicks sporting goods had it on sale...normally $150.....knock off $20 on sale, and a $30 rebate.......so i got it for $100. as soon as i get it on my .270 and shoot and see how it does, i'll let you know. the base/rings im using are the holden ironsighters. they are ok........but i always have to either tighten the screws down after about 15 rounds, or put a little red loctite on the screws that hold them bases on.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice40204ever is just really nice

40204ever's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to 40204ever
I have two Nikons I like. One is the 3-9x40mm with the bullet drop compensator reticle. This scope runs around $150.00 and has great light gathering for its size. I have it on a .308 savage. The other is a Buckmaster 4.5-14 x 50mm. It has standard crosshairs and paralax adjustment but I think you can get the BDC reticle on them now. I think there are $250.00 plus. Mine came on a Ruger No.1 25-06 I traded for.

If you dont mind spending the cash, the best scope I own is a leuopold mark 4 6.5-20x 50mm with 30 mm tube, external turrets and mil dot reticle. This scope has spoiled me. I wish I had one on all of my scoped rifles. You can calculate distance with the mil dots at any magnification. I have this on an ar-15 built up as a varmit rifle with a 24 inch bull barrel. That scope runs around $1600.00 but you can find them for around a grand if you shop.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Go big. I have a Leu MK 4 M1 10x mil ret on my 700 VS .308. It was alot of moolah but it was worth every penny. It is crystal clear out to as far as you are prob ever going to want to shoot. Ive used it out to 800 yds and it is absolutely fantastic. Tuff as nails too. As far as rings, i have Leu Mk 4 rings and a badger ord base. Badger ord rings are very good too.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
I have and own alot of optics.
I will say Leupold scopes VX-II and above are very good, but there are better choices for less $...the glass on Leupolds is ok, they seem to have alot of warranty returns and I feel you pay for the replacement ahead of time.
Nikon Monarch or Team Primos is very good....clear, bright, rugged and offers ballistic compensation if you need it.
Good value.
Burris is another option.
FullField II is very good for under $200....offers ballistic comp and very clear and rugged.
I look for value.
Scope mounts need to be rugged on high recoil rifles, especially for hunting.
PM me for other ideas.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #12
OlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOlyTacoma173 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry Platoon Leader, XO, AS3, 2d BN 503d INF (ABN) 173d ABCT, Army Aviator
OlyTacoma173's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Super Sniper line of scopes at http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-snip...le-scopes.aspx. They are relatively inexpensive but any forum or review you visit will have them constantly being compared favorably to the Leupolds which cost around four times as much. I don't know if large target knobs is important to you, but the Super Sniper has them, with very discernable clicks for adjusting windage and elevation. They are built to last, they've got good glass, and from my experience so far hold and return to their zero well. I've got the 10x42 mounted on my Savage FP10 .308. Mine is mounted on Badger Ordnance rings and bases, but these are probably a little on the heavy side to be used on a hunting rifle. Rock solid, though a little pricey.
Look around on that site a little and I'll bet you find what you're looking for. Hope this helps!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #13
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
The super sniper scopes are amazing for the money. If you decide to go that route, pm me. I have a 10x42M I bought for a long range .308 project that just never happened. The scope is very crisp and clear, and built like a tank.

with that said, I don't know what type of hunter you are. Most deer are taken close 50-150 yards with there of course being exceptions. In my hunting experience, either a fixed 2.5 or a variable zoom in the range of 2-9 is great for hunting. The fixed 10x is great for long range target shooting (whatever the target is). Many snipers used to use 10x, but from what I'm seeing nowadays many are adopting variable zoom scopes to work in urban environments.

The Super Sniper - great price, very good optics, very well built, rugged. Large target turrets with a nice audible click and tactile feedback.
-not as good as higher priced scopes, but as the scope goes up in price, the law of diminishing returns comes to mind.

You need to decide exactly what you are willing to spend on a scope, and that will make it easier. Also, if this is primarily a hunting set up that will affect the optimum focal range of the scope vs say a long range paper punching machine. I hope that helped in some way. As much as I want to get rid of my super sniper scope (collecting dust) it probably wouldn't make very good deer hunting scope. (unless for some reason you really like to shoot the fleas of a deers back at 100 yards - some people are into that stuff)
Old 12-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
centurion is on a distinguished road
centurion's Tacoma Gallery
Im actually shocked that no one has answered a Zeiss or Swarovski. I never buy "cheap" scopes anymore, just not worth it. Check out a good Zeiss conquest in the 3-10X range, great glass, crystal clear, and made in the USA. Swarovski's are a lot more money but are top notch, probably not needed but i thought i would mention.

For hunting big game you dont need higher power than 10X if you do then you should get closer. Leupolds arent bad but i wouldnt go for anything but the vari-X lll or better. Bushnell's 4200 series are also great for the money and will go head to head with some of the more costly glass out there.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #16
centurion is on a distinguished road
centurion's Tacoma Gallery
P.S Talley light-weight mounts are some of the best, no seperate base to mount, light weight, and very well made. Also you wanted some examples of why mentioned scopes are good but theres only one way to tell. Look through a Zeiss, especially in low light and you will be amazed, a thousand words wouldnt be good enough....