1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New limbs?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by takern, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    So today my roommate lifting partner came into the room and grabbed my bow and drew it back. i looked up and said "dont dry fire it". what does he do? fucking dry fires it. i went out and shot it and it is not shooting groups or is not any where near where it was only 2 hours earlier where i knocked the lid off a coke bottle at 30 yards. so i know it was sighted. im fucking pissed right now. would new limbs solve this problem or do i have to get a whole new bow?

2. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    new limbs pretty much is a new bow. Take it to a qualified bowsmith (is there such a catagory?)..Have them fix it up, and hand your buddy the bill. It could just be as simple as the strings stretched a little bit.

Either way, DONT continue to shoot it untill its been checked out and cleared. A bow that blows up is NASTY.

3. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    yeah i have no intentions of shooting it anymore till i get it fixed. i talked to the head guy at bowtech on the phone and he hooked me up with a local dealer to bring it to and have it checked out. the good news is that he said more than likely the limbs were fine but the cams are messed up. I would much rather have the cams be tweaked than the limbs. much cheaper and easier to fix. either way im going to have someone more qualified than me take a look at it and maybe see if he has some sort of machine to test the limbs. Im really really hoping that nothing is messed up and the sight maybe got bumped, which it shouldnt have cus its tight but I can still hope for the best, or the string is messed up because that is also an easy fix. i finally calmed down but I was lit there for a while

4. Mar 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I know how you feel. I was in cabelas one day and some dumb ass kid about my age was in the bow department. Picked up a brand new bow off the shelf, drew it back and let go. I thought the workers were going to kick his ass.

Bowtech is quality stuff, more then likely you will be fine with just replacing cams, maybe the string for good measure(at least I would.)

5. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    I saw the same thing at my local pro shop. i was very surprised when they didnt make the kids dad buy the bow after that. I have done it myself with my old bow on accident and i freaked out lol. Went out to shoot and had my arrows in my quiver and just completely neglected to nock an arrow. :rolleyes: It was all good though. I was ready to upgrade anyways and that just gave me the push i needed to get the diamond I got now.

6. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Diamonds are good, just cant justify spending the money on the name "bowtech"

Will,Tacomaman06 got me intrested in the Bear Lights Out bow, Still havent bought one yet. My first, and current bow is my Parker Spitfire. Haven't had a problem yet, and I shot hundreds of arrows through it. Only thing I need to do this spring is replace the string and maybe upgrade the sights and rest.

7. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    yeah thats why i went with the diamond instead of bowtech. same quality just dont get the nifty name. I have heard good things about the bear too. it actually came down to a bear and the diamond but i just liked the diamond more.
    For a new rest I would very highly recommend the octane hostage if you are a hunter. it holds the arrows like a whisker biscuit does but allows the fletchings to pass through without interference. I actually had a drop away before this one but didn't like it nearly as much. It might slow the arrow down by 2-3 fps but i will take that loss in exchange for arrow security and simplicity

8. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now

Oddly enough, I like my drop away rest. Not a fan of the "whisker biscuit" type rests. I hun in the rain/snow, and I heard they like to freeze up.

9. Mar 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    never had that problem. ive done quite a bit of snow huntin too. it might be somethin worth checkin out though. its relatively inexpensive compared to other rests

10. Mar 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    damn..

run a cotton ball on your limbs. they snag micro crack you cannot see. if the bow is ok, then the dry-fire just knocked off all your settings and your bow is not sighted or out of tune.

11. Mar 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    now ask your friend:

gut or face?

12. Mar 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    i would take it in and get it torn down and have everything checked. i dry fired a bow once. when i it was all said and done my axle on the top limb was bend and so was the cam (cam was not visible until you set it on a flat surface) and the screws that held the rollers for the roller guard were bend also. limbs were fine but i would have it all checked out. it does not take more then 30 minutes to tear one down and put it back to together if the person knows what they are doing. you may also want to have the riser check as they can and do bend (normally not from a dry fire but i would have it all checked out)

13. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    I took it into the closest certified bowtech guy and he is breaking it down. he said the string and cables are messed up and the axle might be warped. Expecting a call later today to get the final decision

14. Mar 29, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    they should get you squared away man. i believe i would have had to kick my buddies ass on that one.

Products Discussed in

To Top